Thread: New Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default New Trailer

I've been looking at trailers for the last several months and I've noticed like everything else, that the prices are steadily rising at a considerable pace. I had an enclosed 16' toy hauler trailer that I recently sold because it cost a small fortune in fuel to haul it on these 1700 mile round trips to the Smoky Mountains. That left me with my 5 x 8 motorcycle trailer which is fine for the bike, but its too small for the Ryker. So yesterday a buddy of mine tipped me off that the prices are going to increase 15% on these trailers that I've been looking at.

So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this 6 x 12 Trailstar ATV trailer with fold down sides. Since I work part time there (two evenings a week), I got a generous employee discount on it at about cost. With the fold down sides, I can mount the motorcycle wheel chock at the front to one side, and place the bike longways across the front deck, leaving enough space for the Ryker on the rest of the deck. This will allow me to take both machines on those trips and I'll be able to ride the forest roads and trails as there are many in that region. This weekend I'll also install the Erickson Wheel Chock Kit for the Ryker when I'm installing the other one.

2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Looks like a nice trailer, I am also working on a trailer build out project. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I installed the Erickson Wheel Chock Kit today, loaded the Ryker and rolled into the chocks. It rolls in much easier than coming out. Lots of wheel spin of the rear tire and not enough traction to roll out of the chocks very easily. After about three tries, I stood up and pulled on the bars rearward and that did the trick. I still like it better than trying to use the traditional ratchet straps on the A-arms or frame because the Erickson system doesn't compress the suspension system, and it allows the bike to float on its own suspension as it would if going down the road naturally.

The rear wheel spin could be due to the new wood on the trailer floor, and maybe after some rubber build up it might be easier the next time, God knows I left enough rubber there. But just sitting on the machine trying to back out it just would not get enough traction without a little help. Just wanted to give a heads up for those thinking of using this style of tie down.

Spyder Garage

Might wanna put a stone guard on the front end of that trailer. A cut piece of plywood would do. Even small pebbles take their toll on the finish of our Spyders.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

That is just what I was thinking also!!! I am getting a trailer soon it will be a enclosed unit, love to ride, don't like cleaning a dirty bike that well!! I can remember the shape my snowmobiles would get when I had a open trailer
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Might wanna put a stone guard on the front end of that trailer. A cut piece of plywood would do. Even small pebbles take their toll on the finish of our Spyders.
    Here is what I am doing to project my spyder!

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    I plan to enclose the front as I did on my smaller now 10 year old 5x8 motorcycle trailer, pic below.

That is just what I was thinking also!!! I am getting a trailer soon it will be a enclosed unit, love to ride, don't like cleaning a dirty bike that well!! I can remember the shape my snowmobiles would get when I had a open trailer.

Deed restricted community is the issue. Cant hide an enclosed trailer on my property where I live, but I can hide an open trailer on the side of my house behind the double privacy gate. No boats, trailers, campers, RV's that can be seen from the road. I was considering an enclosed trailer as I had a 16' air conditioned enclosed trailer, but I didnt use it enough to justify the cost of monthly storage fee's, and the fuel mileage that I would get was ridicules at about 12 mpg with 2 bikes in it.

I've been trailering my bikes on open trailers for decades, and I never had a problem with them getting dirty unless driving out West, or in the rain. Then you would have to deal with road grime spray. But I live in the South, and that is the only time they get dirty and with a proper guard on the front that wasn't even much a problem. What I do like about an enclosed trailer is the security that they provide. I dont know if you've checked prices lately on a quality enclosed trailer, but they have doubled in the last year due to the supply & demand issue. I was looking at a new 24ft toyhauler last year for 24 and change, today (8 months later) they want $39,000 for the same trailer.
    My previous 16ft enclosed gas guzzling trailer...LOL.

And this is how I haul my Kawasaki.

Spyder Garage

I sold my 5x8 utility trailer after purchasing my Rally in January 2019. I didn't want anything as long as 10 or 12 feet but finally found a 6x8 at Tractor Supply. The Ryker fits like a glove and it is easy to pull.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 06-05-2021 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added image
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I sold my 5x8 utility trailer after purchasing my Rally in January 2019. I didn't want anything as long as 10 or 12 feet but finally found a 6x8 at Tractor Supply. The Ryker fits like a glove and it is easy to pull.
    I saw that one at Tractor Supply, its a good trailer. I checked them out and they have good prices too compared to others who have hiked their prices. Unfortunately they dont sell a 12', they went from 10' then jumped to 14' long. I eventually decided to go with the 12' long ATV trailer because I can fold down or take off one side and load the Kawasaki cross wise at the front of the trailer. This way I could haul both if I decided to take them both on a trip, something I couldn't do with a 12' enclosed. Also since I work there part time, I got it at just about cost.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Here is what I am doing to project my spyder!

Those are great trailers, I like the dual storage boxes that you added. I was looking at the Aluma brand trailers here too (not sure what brand yours is), but neither of my dealers had one in stock. Good prices too if one can wait 3 months, high demand and low MFG output according to them.

Spyder Garage

I was looking for an Aluma TK-1 for my Goldwing trike a couple of months ago. The local Aluma dealer told me he couldn't get any more of their trailers until NEXT YEAR! I ended up buying a Primo 6X10 aluminum, same brand that Chris ( pictured above) has. Primo trailers are produced locally here in Phoenix. But there are no bargains to be had. Prices for this stuff is going crazy nuts..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I was looking for an Aluma TK-1 for my Goldwing trike a couple of months ago. The local Aluma dealer told me he couldn't get any more of their trailers until NEXT YEAR! I ended up buying a Primo 6X10 aluminum, same brand that Chris ( pictured above) has. Primo trailers are produced locally here in Phoenix. But there are no bargains to be had. Prices for this stuff is going crazy nuts..... Jim
    Primo are machine TIG welded and much better than the mig welded Aluma trailers. The Primo fenders are both on and easy to replace vs many others with welded on fenders. Only downside of Primo's is the shorter 4' bifold ramp.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    ...... Deed restricted community is the issue. Cant hide an enclosed trailer on my property where I live, but I can hide an open trailer on the side of my house behind the double privacy gate. No boats, trailers, campers, RV's that can be seen from the road. ......
    Rules like that drive me crazy. HOA communities wish to create a persona of signs of affluence, which is exactly what recreational toys are.

Those Erickson chocks look like a nice clean method to secure the Ryker. One thing I have noticed to be helpful when driving my Ryker up the ramp of my toyhauler is to make sure the transmission is in Economy mode. That helps to minimize the rear tire spin. I am currently using straps thru the wheels to secure the Ryker, as is recommended in the manual.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2021 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
    Rules like that drive me crazy. HOA communities wish to create a persona of signs of affluence, which is exactly what recreational toys are.

Those Erickson chocks look like a nice clean method to secure the Ryker. One thing I have noticed to be helpful when driving my Ryker up the ramp of my toyhauler is to make sure the transmission is in Economy mode. That helps to minimize the rear tire spin. I am currently using straps thru the wheels to secure the Ryker, as is recommended in the manual.
    Our new to us last fall 2018 RTL has places on the front chrome wheels that are damaged from where the original owner strapped it down in his Toyhauler.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2021 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

I use the same Erickson chocks for my F3-T. I took off the rear set of chocks and replaced them with E-Track. Still use the same straps, but now no burnouts trying to back out of them!
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I agree, If we ever move, it will not be in another deed restricted community. Several things keep us here, home is paid for and we have a great location. Plus her parents are still here and need her here, and our grand kids are here. So it looks like I'm stuck here for a while longer. Good idea on the Economy mode, I probably had it in Sport mode as thats what I usually select when riding.

MNF3: I use the same Erickson chocks for my F3-T. I took off the rear set of chocks and replaced them with E-Track. Still use the same straps, but now no burnouts trying to back out of them!
    Another good idea
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-24-2021 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Got my 2' E-track and Erickson strap for the rear wheel. The chocks and straps for the front wheels will be here Friday. Now I am questioning if I should order two tracks and the movable snap in chocks for the front wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Got my 2' E-track and Erickson strap for the rear wheel. The chocks and straps for the front wheels will be here Friday. Now I am questioning if I should order two tracks and the movable snap in chocks for the front wheels.
    Yeah I'm not going to install the 3rd Erickson wheel chock on the rear wheel. I figure if I get rear wheel spin with the chocks on the front wheels only, adding that third one for the rear wheel will make it even worse. So I'm going to use heavy duty fold down D-rings for the rear wheel, they are rated at 4000 lbs. I also might add some anti skid tread on the deck where the rear wheel sits, if needed when I'm done. I still need to try and pull it out of the chocks with it in Economy mode to see if that helps. Either way, its solvable.
    This is similar to the ones I'm going to use on the rear wheel.

Spyder Garage

Just an update on the difficulty of backing out of the Erickson Wheel Chocks without spinning the rear wheel. The suggestion that Jeff made to try Economy mode made a big difference with no issue with rear wheel spin, much easier to back out of the chocks.

Spyder Garage

Ha ha. Ya, it only took me 12 harrowing attempts of backing my Ryker up my steep toyhauler ramp before realizing that the Economy mode was the way to go, but I finally figured it out

Spyder Garage

Ha ha. Ya, it only took me 12 harrowing attempts of backing my Ryker up my steep toyhauler ramp before realizing that the Economy mode was the way to go, but I finally figured it out
    I know what you mean. When I first tried it and the rear tire would just spin, I was trying several different things. I was trying to slightly bounce it out, then take my weight off the machine, slow throttle roll, quick throttle roll, it was a PIA. It came out but only after several tries. Then I tried the Economy mode and it rolled out nice and easy with no problem.

I finished up the trailer by adding a Roadmaster Guardian stone guard, and a Tractor Supply storage box. I got really lucky with the stone guard, its retail price is $460 new and is made to go on a tow dolly that carries a car behind a motorhome (mounts on the tow dolly in front of the car). I found it leftover from a garage sale for $20.00. I guess people at the garage sale didnt know what it was since it was all dirty and just sitting in the driveway. I originally purchased a black steel trailer box from tractor supply, but the day I was getting ready to mount it, I noticed the paint was peeling off. I took it back and they were all peeling, so I exchanged it for the poly box in the photo instead.

Stone guard find at garage sale.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What type of clamps did you use to mount the driving lights to the lower a-arms of your Ryker?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    What type of clamps did you use to mount the driving lights to the lower a-arms of your Ryker?
    The clamps were included with the light set (see below). They came with different sizes of rubber inserts (spacers) to accommodate a variety of different sizes of tubes or crash bars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Yeah I'm not going to install the 3rd Erickson wheel chock on the rear wheel. I figure if I get rear wheel spin with the chocks on the front wheels only, adding that third one for the rear wheel will make it even worse. So I'm going to use heavy duty fold down D-rings for the rear wheel, they are rated at 4000 lbs. I also might add some anti skid tread on the deck where the rear wheel sits, if needed when I'm done. I still need to try and pull it out of the chocks with it in Economy mode to see if that helps. Either way, its solvable.
    This is similar to the ones I'm going to use on the rear wheel.
    This is just a thought, I use this on a deck of a boat once! Paint your deck with a good marine paint with beach sand in it. I just took the paint, and mixed the sand in the can, then rolled it on the deck, it was like sand paper when I was done! I had good traction when I was done!
    2012 RTL , Pearl