Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Grumbling Noise When Coming to a Stop

My 2012 RTSE5 has begun to make a thunking grumbling sound when I let it slow down to come to a stop. The running performance is absolutely fine...no issues. Shifting is fine, as are the brakes. I can't figure out what's causing that $%&! noise! I check the fluids frequently, and everything is as it should be. Any ideas of what's causing that deep grumbling sound???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The tranny downshifting maybe.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Front belt pulley maybe?? There's grumbling when I have to stop, but it's coming from me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well Solid, if the pitch and volume of the grumbling slows down or changes as you slow down, or work the brakes, then it is most likely rotational. Otherwise, maybe you're just dragging a stick. Just work your way down the list. Does it vary with engine RPM as you downshift, or is it linked to wheel speed instead and not engine speed. Do you hear it when you slowly accelerate? Front sprockets are in the news lately but they weren't a common thing on the 2012. But, certainly, I would check tightness of the front sprocket bolt ASAP and inspect. Something in your belt - something on your belt - bad rear wheel bearing - bad front wheel bearing - grossly misaligned belt - it tries to climb the flange on the rear sprocket - worn brakes - cupped / chipped front or rear tires. Do you have a belt vibration dampener that could have gone bad? To start with, ask your lovely assistant to push it across the garage floor while you get down and give it all a listen. Or perhaps you'll be able to feel the grinding or vibration. A short ride without your helmet may help you hear it better. Jack the rear and front wheels off the floor and give a spin by hand and see what you feel. Feel the tread on your tires checking for cupping / chipping. It's just going to be process of elimination for you, and I'm sure you've already checked most of these. If you decide that it is internal to the motor, well, that's a subject for a different post. Not typically the case, though. Good Luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    The tranny downshifting maybe.
    Possibly, but it doesn't make the noise when I'm dowshifting at higher speeds, just when I'm "coasting" to a stop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Front belt pulley maybe?? There's grumbling when I have to stop, but it's coming from me.
    Could be...I'll have to check that out. Thx!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Well Solid, if the pitch and volume of the grumbling slows down or changes as you slow down, or work the brakes, then it is most likely rotational. Otherwise, maybe you're just dragging a stick. Just work your way down the list. Does it vary with engine RPM as you downshift, or is it linked to wheel speed instead and not engine speed. Do you hear it when you slowly accelerate? Front sprockets are in the news lately but they weren't a common thing on the 2012. But, certainly, I would check tightness of the front sprocket bolt ASAP and inspect. Something in your belt - something on your belt - bad rear wheel bearing - bad front wheel bearing - grossly misaligned belt - it tries to climb the flange on the rear sprocket - worn brakes - cupped / chipped front or rear tires. Do you have a belt vibration dampener that could have gone bad? To start with, ask your lovely assistant to push it across the garage floor while you get down and give it all a listen. Or perhaps you'll be able to feel the grinding or vibration. A short ride without your helmet may help you hear it better. Jack the rear and front wheels off the floor and give a spin by hand and see what you feel. Feel the tread on your tires checking for cupping / chipping. It's just going to be process of elimination for you, and I'm sure you've already checked most of these. If you decide that it is internal to the motor, well, that's a subject for a different post. Not typically the case, though. Good Luck.
    The brakes are okay...the front tires are new, and I check the pressure regularly...I don't know where the front sprocket bolt it, but I'll find it, and check it for looseness. The noise only happens when I'm coming to a stop...never when accelerating or riding at speed. It sounds likes it coming from the mid-bottom just in front of me. I was thinking transmission, but it doesn't happen at any other time, and shifting is smooth and normal. I'll lift the bike and see if there's anything obvious, but I'll probably end up taking it to the dealer...40 miles away and expensive.
    Thanks for your suggestions. You've given me lots to consider... :-)

Spyder Garage

Is it possible your A arms are shifting as you come to a stop.Any funny handling lately?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Is it possible your A arms are shifting as you come to a stop.Any funny handling lately?
    Nope, it handles great...no issues there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    My 2012 RTSE5 has begun to make a thunking grumbling sound when I let it slow down to come to a stop. The running performance is absolutely fine...no issues. Shifting is fine, as are the brakes. I can't figure out what's causing that $%&! noise! I check the fluids frequently, and everything is as it should be. Any ideas of what's causing that deep grumbling sound???
    If this were a car or a truck, I'd say it sounds like the drive shaft u-joints had become loose, and the drive shaft was "wobbling" when not under a load. I rode it today, and came to a coasting stop several times...it made that noise every time, at around 5 MPH down to zero. Interestingly, it does not make that sound when coming to a coasting stop in reverse, or if I rev it up in neutral.

Spyder Garage

With the engine and park brake off and tranny in neutral, does it make that sound while you push it forward?
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    With the engine and park brake off and tranny in neutral, does it make that sound while you push it forward?
    YES! I parked on a hill, put it in neutral, engine off, brake off...and let it roll down the hill. The noise was there, and got faster as the bike went faster. If this were a car, I'd swear it was the drive shaft or the front u-joint. The noise is coming from about a foot ahead of the seat, bottom area of the bike, and centered (not off to one side or the other). I have no ramp or lift, so I can't really get under the bike to remove any tupperware to see if the problem is easily visible! Any suggestion??? And thanks for your testing idea!

Spyder Garage

Is your drive belt up against the flange of your rear sprocket? As Snowbelt Spyder mentioned a grossly misaligned belt will make a racket. It can be lightly touching the flange and not be an issue but if it's way out of adjustment it will make noise and you can feel the belt vibrate with your fingers if you roll it ahead just a few inches in neutral and engine off. When I bought the spyder that I have now the belt was doing this. If that's not it maybe it's the rear brake rotor and caliper out of alignment???
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

YES! I parked on a hill, put it in neutral, engine off, brake off...and let it roll down the hill. The noise was there, and got faster as the bike went faster. If this were a car, I'd swear it was the drive shaft or the front u-joint. The noise is coming from about a foot ahead of the seat, bottom area of the bike, and centered (not off to one side or the other). I have no ramp or lift, so I can't really get under the bike to remove any tupperware to see if the problem is easily visible! Any suggestion??? And thanks for your testing idea!
    It's hard to tell location and direction of sounds from a Spyder because of all of the body work. A foot ahead of the seat is where the air vents are. Sound comes out there. Coasting down the hill was a great idea. Do that again with the left side panels removed. The only thing that is rotating as you coast down a hill is either the belt, wheel bearings, and the two sprockets. Although my hunch is that it’s just the belt, my concern is that the sound that you described has also been associated with the front sprocket being loose as the splines work against each other. Plus, this is a relatively new sound. You don't need a lift or ramps to remove tupperware. When you take off that long left side panel, the sprocket is right there and you'll be able to clearly hear if the noise is coming from there. You can also visually inspect it easily, and get a socket wrench on it from the side and check tightness of the bolt. Otherwise, all of those cogs on the belt make noise if they are rubbing on something hard. Kinda like the old playing card in the bicycle spokes trick. As already mentioned, you can feel that just by pushing it around the garage. Help on removing panels and checking belt alignment is all in your manual.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

It's hard to tell location and direction of sounds from a Spyder because of all of the body work. A foot ahead of the seat is where the air vents are. Sound comes out there. Coasting down the hill was a great idea. Do that again with the left side panels removed. The only thing that is rotating as you coast down a hill is either the belt, wheel bearings, and the two sprockets. Although my hunch is that it’s just the belt, my concern is that the sound that you described has also been associated with the front sprocket being loose as the splines work against each other. Plus, this is a relatively new sound. You don't need a lift or ramps to remove tupperware. When you take off that long left side panel, the sprocket is right there and you'll be able to clearly hear if the noise is coming from there. You can also visually inspect it easily, and get a socket wrench on it from the side and check tightness of the bolt. Otherwise, all of those cogs on the belt make noise if they are rubbing on something hard. Kinda like the old playing card in the bicycle spokes trick. As already mentioned, you can feel that just by pushing it around the garage. Help on removing panels and checking belt alignment is all in your manual.
    Thanks! I'll remove the tupperware cover over the oil tank, and the long panel on the left side. Then I'll take it for a short ride and see if I can isolate the noise. If the sprocket is loose, I'll tighten it up for sure. I'll try to see if the belt is rubbing anywhere, too. It doesn't sound like the old cards in the spokes noise (I used to do that as a kid...LOL). Thanks for the geat suggestions!

Spyder Garage

Thanks! I'll remove the tupperware cover over the oil tank, and the long panel on the left side. Then I'll take it for a short ride and see if I can isolate the noise. If the sprocket is loose, I'll tighten it up for sure. I'll try to see if the belt is rubbing anywhere, too. It doesn't sound like the old cards in the spokes noise (I used to do that as a kid...LOL). Thanks for the geat suggestions!
    Removed the tupperware panel, which had many more screws and grommets than I thought...LOL Looked around inside, felt everything I could touch...nothing loose. The belt and pulley were fine...no play, no obvious rubbing. I left the panel off and took it for a ride, slowing to a stop several times. The noise was present, and also when I throttled back and downshifted. I think it may be coming from the "square box" directly in front of the belt and pulley. I don't know what part that is. While the noise continues, it has no impact at all on the bike's performance, shifting, braking, etc. I'm not looking forward to replacing that side panel. I was a b*tch to remove, and replacing it will probably be twice as hard. :-)

Spyder Garage

With the left side panel removed, it sounded like the noise was coming from the part that is directly in front of the belt/pulley. I have no idea what that part is! The sound is "rotational", like its caused by something spinning down until the bike comes to a complete stop...then no noise at all. Here's a pic of the part I suspect may be causing the noise...can someone tell me what this part is, and what it does?Spyder part.jpg

Spyder Garage

Hey Solid. I'm not sure I can be much more help to you over the internet. And I guess I wasn't that much help, anyway. You've described the noise as occurring when the engine is NOT running and while coasting. The problem is that nothing inside of that housing is turning when the engine is not running and you're just coasting. Everything in there is operated by the engine. I suspect that the sound is just reflecting off of it. Nice picture, and it does show a lot of corrosion in the area, and I think I'm seeing some on the inside lip of the sprocket. Which, if things aren't nice and smooth, can make a strumming sound as the belt enters and exits. That would be rotational and occur when just coasting. Also there can be issues with belt tension and belt alignment that hasn't been addressed yet. On a more expensive possibility is the bearing for the front sprocket shaft.

Maybe you can enlist the help of a friend - doesn't have to be a motorcycle guy or a mechanical genius - that can just give you a second set of eyes and ears. Although a motorcycle guy would be a plus. Sorry we couldn't find the smoking gun. So, see if you can get a helping hand and track this down. Maybe there's a fellow Spyder Lover in your area that can lend a hand. Good Luck..

Doug

Spyder Garage

Hey Solid. I'm not sure I can be much more help to you over the internet. And I guess I wasn't that much help, anyway. You've described the noise as occurring when the engine is NOT running and while coasting. The problem is that nothing inside of that housing is turning when the engine is not running and you're just coasting. Everything in there is operated by the engine. I suspect that the sound is just reflecting off of it. Nice picture, and it does show a lot of corrosion in the area, and I think I'm seeing some on the inside lip of the sprocket. Which, if things aren't nice and smooth, can make a strumming sound as the belt enters and exits. That would be rotational and occur when just coasting. Also there can be issues with belt tension and belt alignment that hasn't been addressed yet. On a more expensive possibility is the bearing for the front sprocket shaft.

Maybe you can enlist the help of a friend - doesn't have to be a motorcycle guy or a mechanical genius - that can just give you a second set of eyes and ears. Although a motorcycle guy would be a plus. Sorry we couldn't find the smoking gun. So, see if you can get a helping hand and track this down. Maybe there's a fellow Spyder Lover in your area that can lend a hand. Good Luck..
    Thanks very much. You've given me things to consider, and that's very helpful. You're probably right that the sound is just bouncing off that component shown in my pic. Since nothing "engine operated" is moving when the engine is off, and I'm just coasting, that may rule out the belt pulley bearing. The belt appears to be properly aligned on both ends (front and rear), but I can't see the middle part where its above the frame rail. The bike has 60,000+ miles on it, so it wouldn't shock me if a pulley bearing was worn out. I'll probably have to take it to the dealer, and pay through the nose for them to analyze and repair whatever the problem is. The dealer is about 40 miles from my house, and I should be able to make it there because it runs just fine. Again, thanks for your insights. They're much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

That picture, am I see the edge of your pulley shiny like its rubbing on some thing? Is the pulley rubbing on the case in front of it?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

After describing the issue (and the noise) to the service guys at my Can Am dealer, they suspected a bad transmission bearing. I asked for a wild stab estimate, and they said it would require taking the transmission out, and that would cost about $1200...plus the cost of the bearing. Since no one else works on Spyders around here, it looks like I'm stuck with a freakin' major repair bill!

Spyder Garage

I brought the Spyder to my Can Am dealer to determine what the problem was, and to get it repaired. I was fearing a huge bill for possible transmission issues. Turns out the problem was a bad/worn out FRONT SPROCKET! They replaced it, and cleaned up some rust, etc. They called and told me the details, and I can pick up the bike as soon as I can get a ride up there. The total bill will run a little over $400, and I'm as happy as a clam (assuming clams are really happy).

My sincere thanks to all who gave me advice and the benefit of their experiences. You folks are awesome!

Spyder Garage

Grumbling Noise When Coming to a Stop

I had the same problem at one time. It was the wife....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I brought the Spyder to my Can Am dealer to determine what the problem was, and to get it repaired. I was fearing a huge bill for possible transmission issues. Turns out the problem was a bad/worn out FRONT SPROCKET! They replaced it, and cleaned up some rust, etc. They called and told me the details, and I can pick up the bike as soon as I can get a ride up there. The total bill will run a little over $400, and I'm as happy as a clam (assuming clams are really happy).

My sincere thanks to all who gave me advice and the benefit of their experiences. You folks are awesome!
    I recently had the same situation as yourself. Same noise, same area of location, but mine created more of a vibration that reverberated throughout the plastic, and a little drag noise in front of the left foot peg area. After reading about all these sprocket issues I decided to take off the plastic and inspect the Sprocket. Something else to learn!

Took off sprocket, cleaned and inspected it. Sprocket teeth were in great condition, as were the gear shaft teeth. No play whatsoever.

What I immediately noticed though when I removed the bolt was that it was very easy to turn, not a lot force behind it. To me that was a good indicator that something was possibly loose, or a bad sprocket itself could be part of the problem. In the end, I deep cleaned the Gear Splines and the Sprocket with carb cleaner, and wire brushed my bolt. I re-installed, making sure to apply moly paste and plenty of Blue Loctite, then torquing it to specs.

Final results were that the "loose bolt" was my culprit. Now back together, I'm elated as ever, it purrs like a kitten. Quieter than before. I did mark my bolt so I will keep tabs on that as well.

Yes, many thanks to all, and I hope this helps others if they have this somewhat same sound scenario.

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Grumbling Noise When Coming to a Stop

I had the same problem at one time. It was the wife....

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White