Spyder Garage

Default Tire and mirror shine

Just tried a new product called "Chemical Boys Tire & Trim Restorer" Put it on the tires and mirrors (actually, my wife did). Fantastic. Tires have a glow and the mirrors are as clean as I have ever seen them. I'm sure it would do well on the windshield also. Probably on the whole Spyder if you want to.

Spyder Garage

Does it specifically state on the label that it can be safely used on plastic? If not, I wouldn't.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Does it specifically state on the label that it can be safely used on plastic? If not, I wouldn't.
    It specifically says "Plastic and Trim Restorer."

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    It specifically says "Plastic and Trim Restorer."
    with RICZ ..... Except for " F-4 " windshields, the rest are pretty soft. .... I would read what Chemicals are in this product before using it .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with RICZ ..... Except for " F-4 " windshields, the rest are pretty soft. .... I would read what Chemicals are in this product before using it .... good luck .... Mike
    I don't even use on the windshield the detailer I use on the paint and it's a high quality Griot's Garage product. I use Plexus exclusively. Call me OCD and you'd be right.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I found out that the primary ingredient is Polydimethylsiloxane which is a silicone based product also used in condom lubricant. Perhaps something that none of us wanted to know.

Spyder Garage

I found out that the primary ingredient is Polydimethylsiloxane which is a silicone based product also used in condom lubricant. Perhaps something that none of us wanted to know.
    Silicones eat their way into surfaces. That's why people with valuable cars never use a product with silicone.

Spyder Garage

Silicones eat their way into surfaces. That's why people with valuable cars never use a product with silicone.
    I've never heard of anything like that, but what do I know. I'm only a Chemical Engineer.

Spyder Garage

I've never heard of anything like that, but what do I know. I'm only a Chemical Engineer.
    Remember the problems we had when silicones first came out and it would give a repaint job a fish eye effect?

Spyder Garage

Remember the problems we had when silicones first came out and it would give a repaint job a fish eye effect?
    Even now, if you get silicone near any paint application you will get fish eyes because silicone is not just shiny, it is very slippery, hence, fish eyes. The reason car enthusiasts don't use silicone based polishes is that they prefer carnuba wax which is much more difficult to apply and buff off, but gives a deeper and more long lasting shine. But, as far as silicone based products eating into plastic, if the product does, it is not from the silicone.

Spyder Garage

By saying silicone eats into things, I didn't mean it ate up material, it just leaves spots.