Spyder Garage

Default How long is the avg Spyder Spark Plug Life?

Thinking of the Summer riding season and looking at the maintenance schedule, spark plugs are on the list. I nonchalantly said, change them. That'll be $350 was the not so chalant answer. It seems the entire front end of the '14 Spyder RT has to come off. 95% of that is labor. Thus the question, how long is the average life of the Spyder spark plug. And how will I know when it's actually time to change? I'm at 42K miles on the odometer.

Spyder Garage

This has been debated quite a bit. And as with many subjects, the opinions are all over the map. The only sure opinion is BRP's recommended 28k service interval. I don't agree with all of BRP's service intervals. But I do, generally, agree with this one. However, my opinion is tainted by the fact that I sell a replacement spark plug service kit.

Still, I'd say most will agree that 42k is very likely a good time to get the spark plugs changed. $350.00 is a lot of money when you figure the spark plug kit is less than $30.00. You might check around and see if there is a vendor in your area that might do this for less. I would check with Spyderpops. A 4 hour trek one way. Maybe a bit much unless you could incorporate it into a trip to somewhere. But if he does this service, you could at least get a price comparison.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I was told by Spyderpops that one should get about 60K out of a set of sparkplugs. Both my 45K plus machines are now gone and we are starting over. 5K and 15K so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Meh, my plugs were toast at 30k on my 2014 RT.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I feel for you guys paying the high cost for little things like this just because of the time involved in removing Tupperware.
    I am very fortunate in the fact that my oldest son is an ATV mechanic that loves his job, I just buy parts or accessories that I want installed and hand them to him, I stay out of his way unless he asks for help and the job is always did correctly first time every time.
    If I buy him a 6 pack or hand him a couple hundred dollars his reply, with a smile is always (thanks dad).

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This has been debated quite a bit. And as with many subjects, the opinions are all over the map. The only sure opinion is BRP's recommended 28k service interval. I don't agree with all of BRP's service intervals. But I do, generally, agree with this one. However, my opinion is tainted by the fact that I sell a replacement spark plug service kit.

Still, I'd say most will agree that 42k is very likely a good time to get the spark plugs changed. $350.00 is a lot of money when you figure the spark plug kit is less than $30.00. You might check around and see if there is a vendor in your area that might do this for less. I would check with Spyderpops. A 4 hour trek one way. Maybe a bit much unless you could incorporate it into a trip to somewhere. But if he does this service, you could at least get a price comparison.
    Ron, I know you sell " iridium plugs " what are the stock plugs ???? ..... thanks ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Ron, I know you sell " iridium plugs " what are the stock plugs ???? ..... thanks ... Mike
    The NGK Spark Plugs - KR8Bi sold by BRP are Iridium type plugs.

. BUT

Ron's kit uses the newer style " IX " NGK plug. I think his kit is a better buy as it includes other necessary items.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Thinking of the Summer riding season and looking at the maintenance schedule, spark plugs are on the list. I nonchalantly said, change them. That'll be $350 was the not so chalant answer. It seems the entire front end of the '14 Spyder RT has to come off. 95% of that is labor. Thus the question, how long is the average life of the Spyder spark plug. And how will I know when it's actually time to change? I'm at 42K miles on the odometer.
    Depends who you talk to I guess i still have the original plugs 57000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    The NGK Spark Plugs - KR8Bi sold by BRP are Iridium type plugs.

. BUT

Ron's kit uses the newer style " IX " NGK plug. I think his kit is a better buy as it includes other necessary items.

Lew L
    Thanks, what I was looking for was - did BRP use iridium plugs in 2014 .... apparently they did .... I now have over 57,000 mi on my 2014 RT ..... and I think new plugs are still down the road .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input. I'm going with the 60 K run. Considering I'm putting new Vredestein tires all around, oil change, radiator flush, something else I forgot what but I'll drive out the dealership door $1,200 light and another $350 would hurt. I bought a 7 x 14 Haulmark cargo trailer to give my baby a comfy ride if it quits.

Spyder Garage

Again, I think what we are talking about here is the difference between 'It will work' and 'Optimum Performance'. I'd say the Iridium spark plugs might even go 100k if you didn't mind the power loss. You might get slower starts and lower fuel mileage as well. But they aren't going to quit on you like a standard copper plug would. Most of my customers say they weren't really having issues when they changed plugs around 30k. But they did notice faster starts and better throttle response when they installed new plugs. Iridium spark plugs deteriorate at a much slower pace than other spark plugs. It's not easy to detect the changes.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

That trailer hauls the Spyder very well. I have the same one and also put a small cargo trailer in it as well (Hannigan Europa I).

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

$350 is a bargain. I paid 3 hours at $110/hr for 900 mile break-in lubricant change and valve adjustment on my Moto Guzzi. Only the valve covers needed to be removed. I asked what a lubricant change labor would be and was grudgingly quoted 2 hours.

Most people changing the spark plugs said "Oh by the way I removed the frunk at the same time." I didn't remove the frunk but the upper body needed to be lifted and shifted back a few inches to remove the air boxes. Body was easy to do; air boxes not so much.

The reason for purchasing BR's spark plug kit is it includes the thermal paste for the threads and the silicone grease for the seals.

I bought my 2014 RT-S with 77K miles from an intermediate owner (I'm the 3rd) who didn't know the service history so I did a maintenance baseline reset. The spark plugs looked satisfactory and were probably original but I didn't examine them closely for gap wear. Best wishes on your decision.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Spark plug wear is no longer about visually inspecting the now exotic metal electrodes, it is about life expectancy of the resistor.

As the resistor wears, it can cause increased load on the coil, resulting in coil failure, or in the case of those running high miles on the plugs, you can cause damage to the coils resulting in decreased spark strength.

All the best whatever mileage you decide to change plugs.