Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT LTD - What Octane Rating?

Web search simply comes up with extremely old forum threads dating back to 2018/2019. The dealer said to use 87 octane where as the manual says the opposite. I've been using 93 octane. I am deathly afraid 87 grade would retard timing drastically. Nor, do I want to risk pre-detonation in our TX summer heat. TIA

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't worry too much Mikey, the engine really hasn't changed too much (if at all! ) since those 'not really that old' threads ( ) from just a couple of years ago! Remember, Spyders have been around since about 2007, the Forum not much later, and this 1330 motor first hit the streets in a Spyder waaaay back in 2014, so there's LOTS of experience and many many miles out there of running both 87 and 93 octane gas with little issue &/or changes either way!!

Besides, unless you've had an ECU Upgrade to enhance the engine's performance which REQUIRES higher octane gas to achieve the unleashing of that power improvement (like some of us - but I'm not complaining AT ALL!! ) then the ECU will pretty much look after all but the most extreme of pre-detonation causative conditions! So regardless of which gas you choose, for the vast majority of Spyder Ryders out there, the most you should ever expect to achieve by running one over the other is possibly a little variation in fuel economy &/or maybe a fatter/slimmer wallet!!

So unless you do have that ECU Upgrade, it's pretty safe to run 3 or 4 tanksfull of 87 gas thru it and see what eventuates - for most, any change is likely to be marginal if recognisable at all; but it will take a few tanks-full of the different octane rated gas to really let any changes take full effect! Same if you decide to go back - for most, any change is likely to be marginal if recognisable at all..... but it will likely take a few tanks-full of the different octane rated gas to return your Spyder to what it was before. Still, it's YOUR Spyder, so you really can do whatever you like/prefer - stick to the manual's recommendation (which most believe is a 'cover their arse' catch-all to cater for those countries where dodgy fuel is the norm rather than specifically aimed at North America! ) and you'll probably hafta pay a little more for the privilege; or you could try the lower octane gas, knowing that all other things being equal, the difference between 87 & 93 is almost certainly going to be well within the capabilities of the standard ECU's programmed capabilities!

However, I certainly wouldn't suggest that you try running any gas with a percentage of Ethanol higher than saaay10%; if anything, I'd suggest it's probably safer to keep to the lowest Ethanol percentage gas you can find for your Spyder.... But that's just me, cos I've seen/experienced what a higher concentration of Ethanol can do to engines first hand; altho there are circumstances & particular machines where I've personally run E85 (and still do! But those engines get stripped & rebuilt pretty much every 500 miles or so, whether they need it or not! ) I just don't run 'E-anything' in my Spyder unless I have no other choice AND I REALLY hafta ryde somewhere.... nor in my street car.... nor in any of my 4WD's/trucks.... nor my... well, you get the picture, I'm sure!

Hope this helps some! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-20-2021 at 11:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

... with Peter, I also have the 1330 engine and have been using 87 oct. for almost 57,000 mi. .... No issues, no ECU re-map .... good luck ... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Octane 87 or 93

Just as Peter Aawen has stated in an earlier post.
    (post #2)

I used what they (BRP) recommended. That was 93 octane.
    Now that the fuel pump prices have jumped I am going to try using some 87 octane.

Your Spyder you choose the best fuel. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

My humble thanks to all for your responses. Being new to Can Am after having ridden Harley's for 40 some years, it was wisest to ask. I shall now revert to 87 at the pump. The RT will never be tuned, pull a trailer or, be ridden two up. It purpose is to simply allow me to continue riding for as long as the almighty allows me to. Sadly, my tether is extremely short due to health issues. It is what it is !

Spyder Garage

Manual doesn't say to use 91+ octane, it recommends it. Manual states to use minimum 87 octane.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

At the risk of going against the grain. I have a bit different take on this.

You have minimums and optimums. I think what we are discussing here is the spread between them. If you want minimum service, follow the minimum guidelines. I have done extensive testing on fuel grades which I've posted here on Spyderlovers. This was with the 998 engine on several thousand mile trips. But the principle still holds. BRP engineered these engines to perform to their full potential on premium fuel. But knowing that some would use regular grade fuel, regardless of what was recommended, they built algorithms into the computer to compensate for lesser octane fuels to prevent pre-ignition and eventual engine damage. So, you can run the minimum octane without any worries about doing engine damage. It's not a problem.

In my testing, I found no discernable difference between regular and mid grade fuels. But I got 2-4 MPG better using premium fuel. This was very consistent as I switched back and forth between grades on a round trip from east Tennessee to California and back. And I've gotten the same results on shorter trips to Canada and Florida. The hotter the ambient temperature, the more difference premium fuel will make.

For me, the extra money for optimum fuel is worth it. I know people say they can discern no apparent difference. And I will say that the difference is subtle.

If you really want to get optimum performance. Use non-ethanol fuel. Manufacturers do not make this recommendation for obvious reasons. I'm not even sure they are allowed to do so. But I use pure gasoline when I can. I do the same in my Ryker for the same reasons.

As always, to each his own.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-21-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I used the highest octane available for the first six years or so. In AK that was 92 if memory serves. Mike and a few others put me onto using 87. In 2015 or so, I made the switch to 87 octane. I noticed NO performance or engine issues since then. Both our 2014 and 2012 were traded off at 45K miles and there were no issues. The new F3's ride on 87 plus 10% ethanol added. No issues that I am aware of in two years of riding in Arkansas.

With high test almost a buck higher here, I am now saving a bit of bucks. The AK difference was 40 cents a gallon...not a big difference.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
    The dealer said to use 87 octane where as the manual says the opposite. I've been using 93 octane.
    Per my 2020 RT Owner's Manual, page 49, BRP 'recommends' premium unleaded with AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of 91 or RON rating of 95.

Most gas that I see in the SE USA is specified as AKI (RON+MON)/2.

Capture.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

You have minimums and optimums. I think what we are discussing here is the spread between them. If you want minimum service, follow the minimum guidelines. I have done extensive testing on fuel grades which I've posted here on Spyderlovers. This was with the 998 engine on several thousand mile trips. But the principle still holds. BRP engineered these engines to perform to their full potential on premium fuel. But knowing that some would use regular grade fuel, regardless of what was recommended, they built algorithms into the computer to compensate for lesser octane fuels to prevent pre-ignition and eventual engine damage. So, you can run the minimum octane without any worries about doing engine damage. It's not a problem.

In my testing, I found no discernable difference between regular and mid grade fuels. But I got 2-4 MPG better using premium fuel. This was very consistent as I switched back and forth between grades on a round trip from east Tennessee to California and back. And I've gotten the same results on shorter trips to Canada and Florida. The hotter the ambient temperature, the more difference premium fuel will make.

For me, the extra money for optimum fuel is worth it. I know people say they can discern no apparent difference. And I will say that the difference is subtle.

If you really want to get optimum performance. Use non-ethanol fuel. Manufacturers do not make this recommendation for obvious reasons. I'm not even sure they are allowed to do so. But I use pure gasoline when I can. I do the same in my Ryker for the same reasons.

Years ago I rode in the high mountains of Utah and Wyoming using regular grade pure gas in the summer and it pinged on uphill grades at high elevations. (2014 RT)
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I read that. I finally got clarification. CA is covering their backside, not knowing what part of the world the Spyder will be operated in. Here in the US 87 oct is a go.

Spyder Garage

Thank you sir. Truly enjoyable and enlightening reading to say the least. With only several hundred miles on the clock, mine is not close to being broken in. If and when this damn rain stops ........... (rolls eyes) I will endeavor to put some miles on the tires. Ironically, from what I've noticed, I seem to get the best fuel mileage with mid grade. Go figure.

Michael

Spyder Garage

........................ ........................... ...........................+1

Lew L

2014 with a stage 1 tune, K&N filter with modified intake --------- Have used 91 octane here at our altitude and temps.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

MikeyTx, you aren't going to see accurate mileage performance until your Spyder gets at least three grand on the clock, if then. There are so many variables that contribute to overall mpg performance it can be an exercise in futility trying to get reliable numbers. Did you buy the Spyder to have fun or to stretch you fuel buck as far as it can go? If the former, ride more and be less concerned about mpg. If the latter, keep your cruising rpm to between 3K and 3,200 as it will start to go south with increased speed. Getting a consistent full tank of gas when you refuel is also a problem with Spyders basically because the fuel flow from most pumps starts to give you blowback well before the tank is full, even if you're real careful. FWIW, I have tracked every gallon of gas through my Spyder since I rolled out of the dealership and over 71.7K I've averaged 37.0 mpg, with a low of 28.3 and a high of 45.4, but the most important thing to me is how much fun I've had seeing our beautiful country.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

High altitude is a whole other issue. 86 octane is usually the best you can get above certain elevations. Of course, you may arrive with a higher octane and it can create issues. High altitude requires a leaner mixture as the air is thinner and there is less oxygen content. The same amount of fuel used at lower elevations ends up giving you a too rich mixture. Octane recommendations are usually restricted to between seal level and 5,000 feet. Though I don't know that they always state this in the manuals.

Spyder Garage

Here's how I look at it and it's just my opinion.

Hypothetically speaking if regular is 2.50 a gallon for 6 gallons then that's $15.00
    Premium lets say if 3.00 a gallon for 6 gallons then that's $18.00
    For only a $3.00 difference I'll stick with the premium.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... with Peter, I also have the 1330 engine and have been using 87 oct. for almost 57,000 mi. .... No issues, no ECU re-map .... good luck ... Mike
    Mike that’s pretty well all I use 87 octane 57000 miles no problems so far

Spyder Garage

Dealer’s head mechanic told me to use only highest octane I can find in my new 2021 RTL... as the manual suggested... so I do. But it is good to know that the engine will not seize if I inadvertantly put lower octane in.

I’m already eating rice and beans so I feel like I can splurge on gas for the Spyder.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Here's how I look at it and it's just my opinion.

Hypothetically speaking if regular is 2.50 a gallon for 6 gallons then that's $15.00
    Premium lets say if 3.00 a gallon for 6 gallons then that's $18.00
    For only a $3.00 difference I'll stick with the premium.
    With real numbers from where I live--- $3.29 regular (87), $4.69 non-ethanol (92) = $388.89 for the 10,000 miles I've ridden since Sept. 8, 2020. Not even close to what a corroded fuel system repair would cost. I use mostly non-ethanol, but when I'm in the middle of nowhere, I don't fret about using regular. I don't trust ethanol since I've seen the white crust on fuel system parts. Also use an occasional dose of Techron -- my Scout would start idling rough at about 4000 (mostly non-ethanol) miles and Techron would clean it right up.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    MikeyTx, you aren't going to see accurate mileage performance until your Spyder gets at least three grand on the clock, if then. There are so many variables that contribute to overall mpg performance it can be an exercise in futility trying to get reliable numbers. Did you buy the Spyder to have fun or to stretch you fuel buck as far as it can go? If the former, ride more and be less concerned about mpg. If the latter, keep your cruising rpm to between 3K and 3,200 as it will start to go south with increased speed. Getting a consistent full tank of gas when you refuel is also a problem with Spyders basically because the fuel flow from most pumps starts to give you blowback well before the tank is full, even if you're real careful. FWIW, I have tracked every gallon of gas through my Spyder since I rolled out of the dealership and over 71.7K I've averaged 37.0 mpg, with a low of 28.3 and a high of 45.4, but the most important thing to me is how much fun I've had seeing our beautiful country.
    This is my DD weather permitting. I'm not concerned about fuel mileage. I'm not even sure how the thread morphed to fuel mileage from the initial question as regards fuel grade usage. Having owned a C5 FRC, two C6 Z06's and, an equal number of C7 Z06's, I am the last to be concerned. I am in fact waiting for Whipple to get my stage 1 SC shipped so that I can have it installed on my new Mach 1.

Spyder Garage

Keep keeping it friendly. YES.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Dealer’s head mechanic told me to use only highest octane I can find in my new 2021 RTL... as the manual suggested... so I do. But it is good to know that the engine will not seize if I inadvertantly put lower octane in.

I’m already eating rice and beans so I feel like I can splurge on gas for the Spyder.
    What's wrong with Rice & Beans!

pink-beans-and-rice1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Rice and beans do not produce enough gas to go down the block. Ask how I know .................

Spyder Garage

pink-beans-and-rice1.jpg

Absolutely nothing wrong with rice and beans that I am aware of..
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

pink-beans-and-rice1.jpg
    Wrong rice, wrong beans, no sausage, no onion and no special cajun magic to make it taste good.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange