Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Im also not sure if this is normal, but I cant pick up any FM radio stations. Only static when I select FM and then no sound at all after pressing seek. I bought a piece of junk. Maybe time to sell it and give up spyders for good.
    I don't understand your continuing reluctance to take it in for warranty-covered issues.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Im also not sure if this is normal, but I cant pick up any FM radio stations. Only static when I select FM and then no sound at all after pressing seek. I bought a piece of junk. Maybe time to sell it and give up spyders for good.
    Sell it? Nobody who is on here is going to buy it. Or…. Maybe. Wasn't this the machine that came off the line without speakers? NY State must have a Lemon Law, but you're going to have to stop trying to fix it yourself.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe the tricled fender and running board lights may be the source of the problem. They may be overloading or confusing the can bus system which runs through the gauge cluster. There are no competent mechanics in this world. I fix stuff myself and it gets done right.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I believe the tricled fender and running board lights may be the source of the problem. They may be overloading or confusing the can bus system which runs through the gauge cluster. There are no competent mechanics in this world. I fix stuff myself and it gets done right.
    Seems this check should be easy. Are the LEDs wired to the amplifier fuse. Does disconnecting the LEDs eliminate the fault of continued battery drain and electrical smell?

Spyder Garage

Now the bear comes out of the woods!!! The rest of the story!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Now the bear comes out of the woods!!! The rest of the story!!!
    Yeah, no kidding! Sheesh.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The leds are not the issue. They are tric led and plugged into factory plugs. Talked to my old mechanic who went out on his own, he said it sounds like the gauge cluster is bad. I removed the gauge cluster and sniffed it. Definitely where the odor is coming from. For some reason BRP changed the part number for the cluster after sept 2020 and it is not available yet. I will wait for riding season to end and take it in under warranty. I will just have to listen thru the sena.

No bear coming out of the woods. I never ever ever cut into factory wiring.

Spyder Garage

The leds are not the issue. They are tric led and plugged into factory plugs. Talked to my old mechanic who went out on his own, he said it sounds like the gauge cluster is bad. I removed the gauge cluster and sniffed it. Definitely where the odor is coming from. For some reason BRP changed the part number for the cluster after sept 2020 and it is not available yet. I will wait for riding season to end and take it in under warranty. I will just have to listen thru the sena.

No bear coming out of the woods. I never ever ever cut into factory wiring.
    FWIW, if you have a decent dealer, and you plan to have them swap in the new gage cluster, possibly it is a part not available currently to the general public, but could be purchased / warrantied by the dealer.

Past models, and hopefully the new 2021 a gage cluster is an easy swap, and one they will order in vs have your Spyder sitting for weeks.

Spyder Garage

You have gone thru the warranty processes I would hope? That can't be a cheap part! Hope it's not one of those issues where you end up having a weeny roast beside the road!! NOT GOOD Good luck hope they get it fixed for you!! Be safe!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2023 at 07:22 PM. Reason: ...
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know when I changed out my 18 garage florescent 8' ceiling lights to LED's, I could NO longer listen to my FM garage radio...

Not trying to hack your thread...

larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought of that Larry. I unplugged the leds on the fenders and floorboards, but no change in radio reception. My SiriusXM has an FM broadcaster on it and it wont even pick that up(you can hear it very faintly in the static). I am just going through everything I have added and everything I can think of to make sure it doesn't do it again after being fixed. The gauge cluster is $929.00, which is not an issue for me. I would buy it if it was available, but am wondering if it needs software updates after installing?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I could replace the gauge cluster myself but its not for sale and probably requires software downloads.
    I'm pretty sure the reason you can't buy one is because of the odometer. Only authorized shops are permitted to replace a vehicle odometer. They must annotate the title odo reading as Not Actual Mileage and put a sticker on the back of the odo showing the mileage of the removed odo.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Joel I am having the same issue on my '23 RTL that you had with your amp. I have measured a 5.4 amp drain on mine. Curious if you ever resolved your issue and what the fix was.

Ken
    Current rides: '94 Goldwing SE; 2023 RT LTD
    Past rides: '67 Yamaha 250; '73 Honda 500 Four; '75 Honda CB750; '79 Suzuki GS 1000; '79 Harley Super Glide, '81 Suzuki GS 1100; '84 Goldwing Interstate

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I know when I changed out my 18 garage florescent 8' ceiling lights to LED's, I could NO longer listen to my FM garage radio...

Not trying to hack your thread...

larryd
    Interesting .... I went to all LED garage & basement shop lights many years ago .... I don't have any FM issues .....Mike