Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE! Amplifier parasitic battery drain 2021 S2S - STILL UNRESOLVED!

I have a parasitic battery drain on my 2021 RT S2S. The parasitic drain goes away when I remove the amplifier fuse. Does anyone know where the amplifier is located? Any solutions other than replacement? I am considering adding a relay to its power source to isolate it when the key is off.

UPDATE:. I put a switch on the main power source for the amplifier. The strange electronic odor is gone when the amplifier is off and comes back when the amplifier is turned on. I was not able to test the remote power yet to make sure it turns off with the key. I will do that once the new amplifier arrives. Not sure how the power relay built into the amplifier failed or why its giving off an odor. I will tear it apart when I take it out. Ran with Bluetooth thru my helmet and all was great. This is the last gremlin to solve in my 2021 S2S
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

We know your view of dealership service departments, many justifiable across the country, but IMO, the best course of action is to tell the dealership the problem and require them to replace the amplifier under warranty.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I have a parasitic battery drain on my 2021 RT S2S. The parasitic drain goes away when I remove the amplifier fuse. Does anyone know where the amplifier is located? Any solutions other than replacement? I am considering adding a relay to its power source to isolate it when the key is off.
    I'm curious...how do you know you have a parasitic drain and how did you determine it's coming from the sound system, of all things?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Simple. Battery was draining down and would not start after 3 days. Disconnected the positive terminal of the battery. 1 week later, connected battery and it started right up. Disconnected the positive terminal. Placed an amp meter between battery and positive cable. It read 3 amps! Pulled and replaced various fuses until the drain dropped to 30ma. It was the amplifier fuse. I am considering placing a relay or a switch where the fuse is or replacing the amplifier myself. I cant find the amplifier on the bike. My 2014 radio was located near the right saddlebag. I dont let ANYONE work on my spyder unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I have to buy parts sometimes that would be covered under warranty, but its only money and I need to get rid of some.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Excellent diagnosis…. Check to ensure that a power relay isn’t staying on. Without looking at the wire schematic, I would think the amp is powered through a relay, unless of course amp memory requires battery power.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the amp is up near the instrument cluster, then that might be where the electronic smell is coming from. After riding for a coupe hours, I get a strong electronic smell that seems to come from the vents on top of the dash near the windshield. Maybe the amp? The radio did freeze up on me one day, but worked after cycling the key. I searched with a light under the dash, but could not see the amplifier.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the amp is up near the instrument cluster, then that might be where the electronic smell is coming from. After riding for a coupe hours, I get a strong electronic smell that seems to come from the vents on top of the dash near the windshield. Maybe the amp? The radio did freeze up on me one day, but worked after cycling the key. I searched with a light under the dash, but could not see the amplifier.
    I’m thinking dealer time.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Simple. Battery was draining down and would not start after 3 days. Disconnected the positive terminal of the battery. 1 week later, connected battery and it started right up. Disconnected the positive terminal. Placed an amp meter between battery and positive cable. It read 3 amps! Pulled and replaced various fuses until the drain dropped to 30ma. It was the amplifier fuse. I am considering placing a relay or a switch where the fuse is or replacing the amplifier myself. I cant find the amplifier on the bike. My 2014 radio was located near the right saddlebag. I dont let ANYONE work on my spyder unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I have to buy parts sometimes that would be covered under warranty, but its only money and I need to get rid of some.
    I have to agree with you. If you can afford to and have the skills to investigate and fix an issue with your own bike, why go through the aggravation of taking it to a dealer?

On the technical side, does it make sense that the amplifier would be wired to the unswitched power circuit? I know with mine it's possible to push a combination of buttons to fool the sound system into staying powered with the ignition key removed. Maybe it's that bypass circuit that is hung up somehow...?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I have to agree with you. If you can afford to and have the skills to investigate and fix an issue with your own bike, why go through the aggravation of taking it to a dealer?

On the technical side, does it make sense that the amplifier would be wired to the unswitched power circuit? I know with mine it's possible to push a combination of buttons to fool the sound system into staying powered with the ignition key removed. Maybe it's that bypass circuit that is hung up somehow...?
    Looking at the schematic, the amp fuse is powered by the main 40 amp battery fuse which runs power to the amp…. hot at all times. So, yes, the amp is defective.
    That’s an internal component issue. I enjoy working on my own stuff, don’t trust any one with my stuff, but sometimes you have to concede.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery drain

If the dealer can't / won't help you ... just get a dis-connect switch ( like they have for Auto's ) and wire it in .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Joel, If you use a switch or relay to totally isolate the amp, won't you lose the clock and the radio presets every time you turn it off?

Spyder Garage

The amp does not need to be powered all the time. It is a 6 channel amp only and does not have memory items to keep stored. The radio and all the other audio functions that need to be stored are in the gauge cluster. It is 2021. They do not use battery power to maintain memory storage anymore. Ever wonder why it takes so long for the gage cluster to shut down? That is because it is storing everything into non volatile memory. When the gage cluster powers up it powers up the remote circuit to the amp that turns it on from it's own, always on power circuit. No external relay. Think of it as the relay is built into the amp. The only circuit that uses power when the key is off is the clock in the cluster.

Not sure of the location of the amp in a 2021 RT. I do not have the service manual for it. But on my 2018 F3 it is located on the left side under the front of the console. BRP needs to put in a new amp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If you have an electronic smell I'd take the spyder to the dealer an have it checked. If it smells you could have a bad experence of something shorting an starting a fire I would think. I had a problem of smelling a smell from a radio in a car years ago. Oh WTH I just let it go as the radio still worked. One day radio stopped working as it fried itself. Lesson learned. Something smelling get it looked at before its to late. Just my 2 cents worth.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I knew it was an amplifier only and probably has its own internal relay/mosfet power supply. Locating the amplifier to replace it is still ongoing. I have searched for a few hours so far. I want to check the plugs to the amp for bent connector prongs. I will just replace the amp and hope it doesnt have the same issue. A dealer and down time is a last resort.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I found the amplifier, bought a service manual with wiring diagram so I know which wire is the remote turn on wire. Main power and ground are easy. Bought a new amplifier and will give it a try to see if it fixes the battery drain and electronic odor. It is actually possible to wire in an aftermarket more powerful amplifier. It would require adding some plugs to mate to the factory harness, but VERY do-able!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I found the amplifier, bought a service manual with wiring diagram so I know which wire is the remote turn on wire. Main power and ground are easy. Bought a new amplifier and will give it a try to see if it fixes the battery drain and electronic odor. It is actually possible to wire in an aftermarket more powerful amplifier. It would require adding some plugs to mate to the factory harness, but VERY do-able!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Installing an aftermarket amp should not be hard to do. Just need an amp with a 4 channel input with a 6 channel output. That is to use the existing speakers or similar replacements.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The hardest part is dealing with the factory plugs. Best thing to do would be to remove the factory plugs and add Deutsch connectors to run the wires to an aftermarket amp. This may be in my future. Lets see if the new amplifier works. If not, then I will be testing to see if the remote wire is working properly. The factory amps are very cheaply made and only 20 watts. Upgrading is a really smart idea if the spyder isnt under warranty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 21' RT S2S battery drain unresolved

So after discovering the amplifier was draining my battery and causing an obnoxious odor on my 2021 RT, I bought a new amp. After installing it, the battery drain went away. Took the spyder for one ride and battery drain from the amplifier and odor have returned. I am thinking now that the gauge cluster has an issue since it remotely turns the amp on. I have no odor if I listen to music through my headset. And no battery drain with the amplifier fuse removed. I might have to concede and take it to a dealer. I checked all the wiring and didnt find any issues. Everything works ok, but have a strong electronic odor after a ride and battery drain with the bike off. I could replace the gauge cluster myself but its not for sale and probably requires software downloads. Found some used ones on ebay for $900, but are for 2019.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So after discovering the amplifier was draining my battery and causing an obnoxious odor on my 2021 RT, I bought a new amp. After installing it, the battery drain went away. Took the spyder for one ride and battery drain from the amplifier and odor have returned. I am thinking now that the gauge cluster has an issue since it remotely turns the amp on. I have no odor if I listen to music through my headset. And no battery drain with the amplifier fuse removed. I might have to concede and take it to a dealer. I checked all the wiring and didnt find any issues. Everything works ok, but have a strong electronic odor after a ride and battery drain with the bike off. I could replace the gauge cluster myself but its not for sale and probably requires software downloads. Found some used ones on ebay for $900, but are for 2019.
    I admire your determination to resolve the issue on your own.
    Don’t go into too much detail when telling dealer what you have done…..they may deny the warranty claim…..just saying.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I havent done anything to deny a warranty claim. Only replaced a part and removed a fuse.

Spyder Garage

Wishing you the best for whatever decision you make. You know your mechanical stuff.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I havent done anything to deny a warranty claim. Only replaced a part and removed a fuse.
    Man that really sucks!
    My oil leak was pretty straight forward vs what your going through, but like me you had to figure it out first!
    Just share everything you've done and it will hopefully save some time with BRP.
    Hope your dealership works with you and maybe they can just confirm your findings and swap out the cluster quickly.
    My dealership took two weeks and they finally agreed it was the block and took BRP another week to start going forward on replacing the engine.

Thanks for keeping us up to date and good luck!!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Im also not sure if this is normal, but I cant pick up any FM radio stations. Only static when I select FM and then no sound at all after pressing seek. I bought a piece of junk. Maybe time to sell it and give up spyders for good.

Spyder Garage

Joel, if I spent the money for a new bike and I had a issue that I could not fix, it would be going back on warranty for shore!!! They would know there is a issue all the way to the main office! That's why we have a warranty to start with, if you are getting a strange smell from your bike that smells like burnt electronics all the time, SOME THINGS WRONG, take it back!!! Good Luck I hope you resolve this issue before you have a melt down!
    2012 RTL , Pearl