Spyder Garage

Default 21 RT Ltd - what does the usb plug in glove box do?

up in the glove box there are 1 3.5 aux plug,and 1 usb port. I plug in a thumb drive and got a message not recognized music source, redid the thumdrive to fat music download and still no music. Then I plugged in my zumo xt to charge it and does not charge a zumo,what does that usb plug do if anything

Spyder Garage

You use it to link your phone for brp connect to work. It will charge the phone but perhaps not enough juice for the garmin
    2020 Spyder RT base
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I tried to charge my Garmin when I got my RT and after half an hour I got a fault message on the LCD. After that I used the power outlet on the right side and hard wired the Garmin. Good to know I can charge my phone though.

Spyder Garage

I don't know its power rating. Should handle the Zumo if you have the correct cable. I use mine to power a Bluetooth receiver that I plug the 1.5 aux plug into. My Zumo 396 doesn't have a hard-wired audio out, so I can use this to feed the audio (via the Bluetooth) into the bike's audio system. My Zumo requires 12 volts to its adapter, which I've connected to the GPS power port under the right side cover. Lamont has a good video showing how to access that.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can charge your phone with the USB port in the glovebox but you'll need to add an inline data blocker. Amazon has them for under 10 bucks. That USB port doesn't just supply power but also a data connection to the bike. Unless you want BuRP Connect (and most don't), the data blocker will only send the power through the connection. I don't use BuRP Connect but I use that port to keep my phone charged.

3ntune---You can't use that USB port with a thumb drive.

Spyder Garage

Thanks,for the info

Spyder Garage

I use that cable to power my Gopro camera. Great for long trips or dash cam when riding around town.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I power my Zumo with the Garmin cable, works fine no problems
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Spyder Garage

That's one of the disappointments on the new RTL's. $30K and you get a single USB port that has limitations and nothing in the frunk. Of course, you can add your own and there are two, way back in the top case, but still...
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

I charge my Zuni xt using this port. You have to use the right cable— the one that came with the zumo works.

Spyder Garage

I ran my Zumo XT power down the neck of the steering column, drilled a hole the the plastics firewall and connected it to the battery directly (with a fuse ). I than covered the hole / cable with black tape to keep it waterproof. Works great. I posted how I use sena / xt and RTL.

My setup:
    2020 Spyder RTL, Garmin XT, sena 20s, and Sansung S8 cell phone

I did a normal sync – S8 Phone to Garmin XT than I connected S8 Phone to RTL (Normal BT phone connection not via USB connect); play IHeart radio and since my S8 phone has the ability to sync with two BT audio outs, I can hear Music on RTL speakers and Garmin speaker. Now I synced my Sena 20 S with my Garmin XT. I still hear music on RTL speakers and now also on my Sena 20S. I made an incoming to my cell phone, ALL audio stops and answered the call, ended call and all audio can back. Since I use inter Bike comms with my buddy, when I press intercom my music stops in Sena 20S but continues on RTL speakers. It returns when the comms are off

The Key is having a phone with the ability to sync with two Audio Devices.