Spyder Garage

Default Advice for trailer tire pressure

Another thread about purchasing a trailer to transport a Spyder has prompted me to ask about pressure for trailer tires. EVERY dealer and EVERY tire manufacturer says to ALWAYS pressure up to the maximum stated on the tire in order to maintain maximum load capacities. But I have a fixed load at about 50% of my tire's capacity. So the tires are matched for the load capacity of the trailer and NOT to what my fixed load really is. Here are the specifics. I have a 6X10 aluminum trailer that weighs 550#s. My fixed load is 1,200#s so total load is 1,750#s My tires are ST205/75R15s with a load range C maximum load of 1,820 each at 50psi or 3,640 total which matches my 3,500# axle nicely. I have been maintaining 50psi so far. But my tires look like they are running on their tippy toes. They do not have that usual radial bulge at the contact point. When hitting bumps the trailer seems to have a jarring reaction as if the tires are not absorbing any of the action.

Since I am running a very light load for the tires and axle I am inclined to reduce tire pressure to the 35 to 40 psi range. I know trailer tires do not undergo the stresses that vehicle tires encounter, so I'm inclined to shoot for a pressure that increases 2psi from cold to traveling temperature. Or do I always stay with what THEY tell me and keep them at maximum ALWAYS? Thanks..... Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:36 AM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Pneumatic tires need enough air inside them to carry the loads you put on them, so yeah, the dealers are right to say "ALWAYS pressure up to the maximum stated on the tire in order to maintain maximum load capacities" -
    BUT they have missed out on finishing that statement by including the next VERY IMPORTANT 'end of the warning', which should be -
    "THIS ONLY APPLIES WHEN YOU NEED TO CARRY THE MAXIMUM LOAD!"

So, if you AREN'T carrying the tire's Maximum Load, then you'll be doing yourself, your tow vehicle AND your trailer, it's load, and your trailer tires a MASSIVE DISSERVICE by running your trailer tires at their Maximum pressures when the load imposed upon them doesn't warrant pressures that high!

Look at the Max load/Max pressure info on the sidewalls, that says MAXIMUM Load at MAXIMUM PRESSURE - not OPERATIONAL PRESSURE for ANY load!

Just like running Auto Tires under a lightweight Spyder, if you are only carrying a small portion of the tire's Maximum load, you only need a proportional amount of air pressure in the tires to do the job properly and in a way to get the best from those tires and to let them give you their best!! Bloody Tire techs & trailer dealers etc should know better than to propogate that BS about Max pressure all the time, it's crap, it's not what the tire manufacturers say, it's not what all the authoritive tire documentation in your country or mine (or anyone else's) says, and it WILL be 'less than ideal/optimal' for all those things previously mentioned - but I guess it will also probably mean that those techs/dealers peddling this crap either have No bloody Idea or maybe they might get to take more of your hard earned $$ sooner rather than later... IF you don't have a prang & maybe destroy the whole trailer, load, and tow vehicle, and maybe even more beforehand!!

There are meant to be load/pressure tables available for every tire made that shows what pressures you should run in them for a given load, but some places/people/dealers don't make it easy for you to access that info/don't ever pay attention to it (maybe because that'd mean your tires will work better & last longer, so they make less money off you?!? ) so you might need to search a bit to track that info down; or if you know your trailer load/weight & can access the Max load/Max pressure info on the tire sidewalls (or anywhere else ) you can maybe do the calcs for yourself - BUT, how can I say this in a way that will be recognised & still stress how bloody important it is for pneumatic tires.... hmmm, let's see...

UNLESS YOU ARE CARRYING THE INDICATED MAX LOAD ON THOSE TIRES, YOU SHOULD NOT BE RUNNING THE INDICATED MAX PRESSURE!!

Ps: the 'rule of thumb' for pressure increase in your tires is to aim for a FOUR (4) psi increase after an hour's operation - yep, that's 4 psi, not just 2! Anything much less than a 4 psi increase, your starting pressure was too HIGH & you are compromising ride, handling, traction, tire life, puncture resistance et al; anything much more than a 4 psi increase, your starting pressure was too LOW & you are compromising ride, handling, traction, tire life, puncture resistance et al! . But still, even a 2 psi increase is quids ahead of running your tires at their Max pressure ALL the time when your load doesn't warrant that much pressure!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-19-2021 at 05:50 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Here is the inflation table:

ST205/75R15
    Single Tire
    1220 lbs @25PSI
    1360 lbs @30PSI
    1480 lbs (B) @35PSI
    1610 lbs @40PSI
    1720 lbs @45PSI
    1820 lbs (C) @50PSI
    1940 lbs @55PSI
    2040 lbs @60PSI
    2150 lbs (D) @65PSI
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter and Chris. I did look at that pressure table but my load is much lower than the lowest listed. I'm hesitant to run lower than 25psi. My tires are carrying only 875#s of load each. I think I will drop down to 35#s and measure my increase from that point and adjust up or down as needed. My initial thought of a 2psi increase was based upon trailer tires not having as much stress as car (or bike) tires. They just roll along and don't provide traction or braking. But, Peter, I will defer to your expertise. Just in case you didn't notice, my question was asked in hopes you would respond. I think this is information many here can use. Thanks..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Thank you Peter and Chris. I did look at that pressure table but my load is much lower than the lowest listed. I'm hesitant to run lower than 25psi. My tires are carrying only 875#s of load each. I think I will drop down to 35#s and measure my increase from that point and adjust up or down as needed. My initial thought of a 2psi increase was based upon trailer tires not having as much stress as car (or bike) tires. They just roll along and don't provide traction or braking. But, Peter, I will defer to your expertise. Just in case you didn't notice, my question was asked in hopes you would respond. I think this is information many here can use. Thanks..... Jim
    Sounds like a plan to me!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!