Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Advice for trailer tire pressure

Another thread about purchasing a trailer to transport a Spyder has prompted me to ask about pressure for trailer tires. EVERY dealer and EVERY tire manufacturer says to ALWAYS pressure up to the maximum stated on the tire in order to maintain maximum load capacities. But I have a fixed load at about 50% of my tire's capacity. So the tires are matched for the load capacity of the trailer and NOT to what my fixed load really is. Here are the specifics. I have a 6X10 aluminum trailer that weighs 550#s. My fixed load is 1,200#s so total load is 1,750#s My tires are ST205/75R15s with a load range C maximum load of 1,820 each at 50psi or 3,640 total which matches my 3,500# axle nicely. I have been maintaining 50psi so far. But my tires look like they are running on their tippy toes. They do not have that usual radial bulge at the contact point. When hitting bumps the trailer seems to have a jarring reaction as if the tires are not absorbing any of the action.

Since I am running a very light load for the tires and axle I am inclined to reduce tire pressure to the 35 to 40 psi range. I know trailer tires do not undergo the stresses that vehicle tires encounter, so I'm inclined to shoot for a pressure that increases 2psi from cold to traveling temperature. Or do I always stay with what THEY tell me and keep them at maximum ALWAYS? Thanks..... Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:36 AM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi