Spyder Garage

Default What's this Whistling sound? 2021 F3-S

Heya

I just bought my Spyder it is a 2021 S model.

At around 1800 to 2500 RPM im hearing a whstling noice from the front left side of the trike, at higher RPM the sound disaperes. The trike is running exelent at all RPM.

Was at the dealer that told me that i sould wait some since its a brand new machine, i have only ridden it for about 250km (155 miles)

Do any one else here have the same "problem" or is it a normal sound?

Best regards
    Oskar

Spyder Garage

You have an old style front belt pulley is my guess. They tend to whistle. I believe you can get the new WHITE one installed under the warranty. Be sure they get the white one, otherwise, it's the old style.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

That's my thought too.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

what is the part # and the cost for the new style pulley? Thx
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Is it dangerous to keep driving of it is the belt pully that is making the sound?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaan View Post
    Is it dangerous to keep driving of it is the belt pully that is making the sound?
    You're good! The pulley cogs form air pockets with the belt and that's what makes the sound. I learned that from a Shawn Smoaks video.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaan View Post
    If it's just the pulley noise, then Not at all!

If that's all it is (& it certainly sounds like it is?!? pun intended! ) it's only a noise made by air passing thru the holes in the pulley as it spins - it's probably been there to a greater or lesser degree on EVERY Spyder ever made with the 'old style' pulleys, only because of how the tupperware &/or engine/exhaust noise masked the noise on earlier models, we never heard it before these latest model changes - but it's only a noise that might bother some; not be of concern to others; and may not even be heard by the rest due to the particular frequencies that their hearing may be strong &/or weak at hearing!

If you can put up with the noise, just ryde if you want; but be aware that if you ever want to sell the Spyder, having that noise evident may detract from the value of the machine. . Your Dealer should be aware that this noise has been identified as a warranty issue for some and is at least partially responsible for the introduction of the 'new style' white pulleys - so you shouldn't have been fobbed off like that with a trite 'there there, pat on the head deary' explanation IMHO, you should return and ask (demand! ) for your concerns about that noise to be addressed properly and sorted for you as a matter of urgency! But that's just my opinion, dealers showing their customers/the people who make them successful that level of disrespect really graunch my gears!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If it's just the pulley noise, then Not at all!

If that's all it is (& it certainly sounds like it is?!? pun intended! ) it's only a noise made by air passing thru the holes in the pulley as it spins - it's probably been there to a greater or lesser degree on EVERY Spyder ever made with the 'old style' pulleys, only because of how the tupperware &/or engine/exhaust noise masked the noise on earlier models, we never heard it before these latest model changes - but it's only a noise that might bother some; not be of concern to others; and may not even be heard by the rest due to the particular frequencies that their hearing may be strong &/or weak at hearing!

If you can put up with the noise, just ryde if you want; but be aware that if you ever want to sell the Spyder, having that noise evident may detract from the value of the machine. . Your Dealer should be aware that this noise has been identified as a warranty issue for some and is at least partially responsible for the introduction of the 'new style' white pulleys - so you shouldn't have been fobbed off like that with a trite 'there there, pat on the head deary' explanation IMHO, you should return and ask (demand! ) for your concerns about that noise to be addressed properly and sorted for you as a matter of urgency! But that's just my opinion, dealers showing their customers/the people who make them successful that level of disrespect really graunch my gears!
    Thx alot will be going back to the dealer next week, have some stuff that gona get mounted on the bike aswell, so then they will have to look at the noice aswell. Really greatful for the good answer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    You have an old style front belt pulley is my guess. They tend to whistle. I believe you can get the new WHITE one installed under the warranty. Be sure they get the white one, otherwise, it's the old style.
    I have a ‘whistler’ (2019 F3L)... anyone know if there’s a bulletin or other document I can show my dealer?
    2019 F3Ltd

Spyder Garage

My dealer (2021 F3 Ltd) said they have replaced the front pulley on 3 new RT’s and it didn’t help. They have somewhat traced it to wind coming in the vent on the left side making the whistling noise. I’m going to take off my left side Tupperware and see if I can block the wind flow, just to see if it fixes the noise.
    2013 ST SE5
    2021 F3 Limited , Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by photophil33 View Post
    My dealer (2021 F3 Ltd) said they have replaced the front pulley on 3 new RT’s and it didn’t help. They have somewhat traced it to wind coming in the vent on the left side making the whistling noise. I’m going to take off my left side Tupperware and see if I can block the wind flow, just to see if it fixes the noise.
    if they replaced pulley, it will be "white". take a look before trying to block and venting. i would NOT block venting
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I too, have the whistling sound. I spoke to my dealer, and BRP has authorized the addition of a belt tensioner. Not sure if that is the solution.

Rick
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

RTs built in or before September 2020 have front sprocket #705502134 and no idler pulley. RTs built after September 2020 have front sprocket #705503239 and an idler pulley.
    The new number now supersedes the old one for all 2020 or 2021 RTs. I do not know when BRP started issuing 2021 Certificates of Origin, but my RT was built in June of 2020 and had a 2021 C of O.
    It makes no difference what BRP calls it, you have the old front sprocket if your bike was built in September or before. The easiest way to see what you have got is to look at the sprocket. If it is black you have the old sprocket. If it is white you have the new one and you should also have an idler pulley.
    Whether the new sprocket cures the whining, I do not know. All I know is that mine has a black sprocket and I have the whistling problem. I installed an aftermarket idler pulley and it did not cure the problem. Mine is at the dealership for this and some other problems, including both front wheels being our of balance from the factory. Seriously?
    I have made them aware of the sprocket change about which they were clueless.
    2021 Grey RT Limited, Dark Edition; Baja Ron sway bar; Spyder Pops front fender and mirror pod LED turn signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmarkel View Post
    RTs built in or before September 2020 have front sprocket #705502134 and no idler pulley. RTs built after September 2020 have front sprocket #705503239 and an idler pulley.
    The new number now supersedes the old one for all 2020 or 2021 RTs. I do not know when BRP started issuing 2021 Certificates of Origin, but my RT was built in June of 2020 and had a 2021 C of O.
    It makes no difference what BRP calls it, you have the old front sprocket if your bike was built in September or before. The easiest way to see what you have got is to look at the sprocket. If it is black you have the old sprocket. If it is white you have the new one and you should also have an idler pulley.
    Whether the new sprocket cures the whining, I do not know. All I know is that mine has a black sprocket and I have the whistling problem. I installed an aftermarket idler pulley and it did not cure the problem. Mine is at the dealership for this and some other problems, including both front wheels being our of balance from the factory. Seriously?
    I have made them aware of the sprocket change about which they were clueless.

I suggested the change to the white sprocket, but BRP requires that the belt tensioner be tried first.
    2019 F3 base
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    I suggested the change to the white sprocket, but BRP requires that the belt tensioner be tried first.
    Tensioner (vibration damper) not needed if BRP would stop specifying the belt be too tight.
    Many, including myself, adjusted the belt to a looser setting and get virtually no vibes. I refuse to add a "tensioner" that has the possibility of ruining the belt. It's simply a band aid IMO.

Spyder Garage

Had the old sprocket, a bit noisy but no whistling.

Had the Red Dust so I replaced it with the new white one.

Now I have a noticeable "swissh" sound which seems to be much louder than before.

Installed the belt tensioner but still have the same "swissh".

So for me the black sprocket was running a lot quieter.

That's an 2018 F3-S by the way.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

MakoShark....What did you set your belt tension at? The factory/shop spec is too tight. Try 140 ear wheel off the floor - 160 on the floor. Mine is there and have absolutely no need for a belt tensioner that can possibly ruin my belt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RickWB View Post
    I too, have the whistling sound. I spoke to my dealer, and BRP has authorized the addition of a belt tensioner. Not sure if that is the solution.

Rick
    Had my first service yesterday at 5,000 km. I was led to believe that belt tensioner or new white pulley would be a warranty item. It was not. BRP refers to these as upgrades. In addition to the first service, the dealer adjusted the belt tension. This was viewed as a possible solution to the whistling sound. I am going to hold off on any ‘upgrades’ unless a proven solution is found, and for now will leave it, knowing belt tension is correct.
    2019 F3 base
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    MakoShark....What did you set your belt tension at? The factory/shop spec is too tight. Try 140 ear wheel off the floor - 160 on the floor. Mine is there and have absolutely no need for a belt tensioner that can possibly ruin my belt.
    180 measured with the krikit, might try to lower that a bit and see if it gets better.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin