Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure light w/ a twist

Hey gang,
    Tonight as I was in line in the drive thru to get my soda, I put it in neutral and set the parking brake. When it was time for me to move forward, I tried to disengage the parking brake but it would not. The parking brake light stayed on as long as the bike was running. It did disengage after I turned off the bike, started it back up, and toggled the parking brake switch a few times.

I've had the brake failure light before and put some brake fluid in to resolve it. Is this that or is this a bit more critical?
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Maybe not critical, but always good to check. When was last time did pads? Could also just be the micro switch that feels if P brake is on or not.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by iridenow View Post
    Hey gang,
    Tonight as I was in line in the drive thru to get my soda, I put it in neutral and set the parking brake. When it was time for me to move forward, I tried to disengage the parking brake but it would not. The parking brake light stayed on as long as the bike was running. It did disengage after I turned off the bike, started it back up, and toggled the parking brake switch a few times.

I've had the brake failure light before and put some brake fluid in to resolve it. Is this that or is this a bit more critical?
    Yeah, it can be a bit confusing because both situations use the same light. For Parking Brake engaged, it flashes. For low brake fluid level, it is on steady. Plus, you may get that orange failure screen. Can lead you to believe the parking brake did not disengage when its the other thing. So, put a smidge of brake fluid in both chambers and check things over. Brake fluid level goes down as pads wear. If you are low on level again, it might be time for a brake job.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Well, adding brake fluid did nothing to change the symptom. The p brake light still comes on and stays on. The orange brake light flashes every few seconds. Time to go to the dealer for a brake job of some sort.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.