Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    I have an Aluma and set it up to haul the RT among other things. I had 2 stainless chocks made at a local shop for less than 100 and bolted them down once I figured out the position for best tongue weight. The ones you have selected will work, but I like these since it is pretty easy to drive into them and they do most of the work holding the bike on the trailer. I use some straps through the front A arms to tie downs and one strap on the rear wheel to keep the bike from lifting up in a panic stop.

Which Aluma trailer is that?

Spyder Garage

Thats the 7810ES. 78 inches wide, 10 feet long.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Loaded up the spyder to mark location of the E-track rear and E-track wheel stops front. The trailer has 180 lbs of tongue weight(right at 10%) as pictured and will be more when I fill the big box. There will be a couple hundred pounds stuff that will go in the boxes. So I am going to leave it back far enough to be able to open the frunk.

2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Looks great Chris.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

OK, I reinstall the front tie downs behind the big box 24" in from the trailer sides. I strapped the rear tire down to ramp hinges(which are much more robust than the trailer bed tie downs), and double up on the front from my eyelets of the lower shock bolts and took it for a test spin up to 70 MPH to make sure it towed OK. I could see the rear suspension on the Spyder working on bumpy sections of road. Overall I am a happy trucker! The 2020 Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L seemed to handle it fine. The ST is a Ford Performance product with a much stiffer suspension then the other 4 cylinder SE, SEL and Titanium models. I thing I have a winner. With 380 lb ft of torque and 335 hp it should get the job done. Chris

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Looks great Chris.....
    Thanks see note on test tow above. I am ready to install the Erickson system. Will most likely also put backup racket straps for just incase. Chris

Spyder Garage

Snoking can I make one recommendation to add to your trailer? It is a beautiful setup! Since your top door on the large metal chest opens from the front, never trust those latches. I’d take a round 36 inch soft bungee and “while driving” hook the bungee around the front rail over the top of the box and into one of the tie down rings on the bed. Just in case it was to unlatch and the wind wipes the door open, the bungee would keep it from folding back onto your hood of the spyder. Just a safety thought. I’ve seen it happen on a bumper pull RV trailer . It cracked the fiberglass nose all up.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Snoking can I make one recommendation to add to your trailer? It is a beautiful setup! Since your top door on the large metal chest opens from the front, never trust those latches. I’d take a round 36 inch soft bungee and “while driving” hook the bungee around the front rail over the top of the box and into one of the tie down rings on the bed. Just in case it was to unlatch and the wind wipes the door open, the bungee would keep it from folding back onto your hood of the spyder. Just a safety thought. I’ve seen it happen on a bumper pull RV trailer . It cracked the fiberglass nose all up.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will do that, or maybe better a ratchet strap or two, less give! I did a lot of think about which way to position the box. This way offers better walk up access. Thanks Chris

Spyder Garage

There’s no problem how you did it. Agree fast access. If you use a ratchet get the some knee high length soccer socks. Cut the toe off and run the strap through that sock to not scratch that new shiny box. In 2 years it will begin to oxidize from sun and rain. then don’t worry about the sock at that point. It’s so pretty right now don’t scuff it up.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Latest update: Check pin weight and did a test tow yesterday. Today I checked hitch weight again and then put the 48.8 lb generator in the box. The pin weight went from 191 to 221. So 61% of the generator weight went on the hitch. So I could still load about 210 lbs of stuff in the box and be within the Edge 350 lb hitch weight limit.

I install the first set of front chocks also. Chris

Spyder Garage

Your method for attaching brackets using L shaped aluminum is exactly how I did it too. Makes for a good, strong installation. I have just one wheel chock (front) for my Goldwing trike. It is a ride-into that cradles the front tire both front and back. My trike did not move one bit on an 1,800 mile trip. And I-10 east of El Paso has got to be the pot hole capitol of the world. And, I do not have a parking brake. The trike was in neutral. I think you can have a lot of confidence in your trailer set up..... Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-27-2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: chalk = chock?! ;-)
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Your method for attaching brackets using L shaped aluminum is exactly how I did it too. Makes for a good, strong installation. I have just one wheel chock (front) for my Goldwing trike. It is a ride-into that cradles the front tire both front and back. My trike did not move one bit on an 1,800 mile trip. And I-10 east of El Paso has got to be the pot hole capitol of the world. And, I do not have a parking brake. The trike was in neutral. I think you can have a lot of confidence in your trailer set up..... Jim
    The L shaped aluminum came about via your suggestion. Down to the rear E-track. I did not like the cheapy I bought so reorder another one, which should be here tomorrow. Chris

Spyder Garage

I set up my Aluma MC210 this way and it worked like a dream - until I tried to back off! Rear wheel just spun. It took two of us to rock my F3-T so it would climb over the back chocks! I took the back chocks off and bolted down etrack instead. Now it really works great! Depending on the traction of the trailer deck you might not need to do this. It would be a good idea to order more etrack just in case.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MNF3 View Post
    I set up my Aluma MC210 this way and it worked like a dream - until I tried to back off! Rear wheel just spun. It took two of us to rock my F3-T so it would climb over the back chocks! I took the back chocks off and bolted down etrack instead. Now it really works great! Depending on the traction of the trailer deck you might not need to do this. It would be a good idea to order more etrack just in case.
    I will put my 222 pounds in the back seat for traction!!!! I was told not the use these chocks on the rear wheel for that reason. RU saying it would not pull the front wheels over the humps? The rear is getting just an 24" E-track and strap.

Spyder Garage

I only had the chocks on the front wheels and I couldn’t get backed out. I’m 6’3” and 225!

Spyder Garage

The second 24" E-track arrived today. It is much better than the first piece of junk I ordered. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then again it cost twice as much. One gets what they pay for. Will work on it tomorrow morning when it is cooler. Chris

Spyder Garage

OK, I figure out how to get in and out of the dual front chocks. Going in you just need a little momentum. Backing out I drove forward a bit and put on the brakes, switched to reverse and power braked a bit, then release the brake and it popped up and over the rear chock with the slight head start. I was able to skid the rear tire sideways of the E-track to center it up with a ratchet strap.

Spyder Garage

Looks like you're good to go Chris. Also, nice to see the Federals and General on your Spyder. That's what I ran also...... Jim
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

That’s definitely as secure as you will ever need!

Spyder Garage

Well this morning a did a road trip to check fuel mileage and the tie downs. I drove from Gold Canyon to Florence, Az about 28 miles and got out and checked things over. The strap on the rear tire was a little loose, which surprised me a bit. I drove 89 miles and it took 5.095 gallons. Which is 17.468 MPG hand cal. Trailer handles well and the trike seem to do great on it. I had put some more stuff in the storage box also.

Spyder Garage

OK, you were right it is to hard to consistently back out of the rear front wheel chocks. So I order two of these to replace the rear chocks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

So I thought the rear tire should sit on more than just the E-Track, so I bought a plastic cutting board and made outriggers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Based on 'always Young's' input I ordered these two items for the read wheel. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note: Do NOT order this cheap ill fitting E-track. The accessories are quite loose when snapped in place. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I bought that track and agree with the comment. A little loose. The fix i found was a hammer on the back side. Tightened the fit right up.
    You all make this site awesome!!! RideThru

Spyder Garage

Given that I am one step away from completing the build out of the trailer, I thought I would give you a run down on the cost.

Trailer including Tax, Spare tire and License(life time plates).
    $3,793.43

The two boxes
    $660.25

Ace Hardware, nuts and bolts and aluminum angle iron.
    $145.23

Amazon Tiedowns, ramps, nuts, bolts, washers
    $497.36

Total to date
    $5,096.27

You know what? I got exactly what I wanted and how I wanted it. Also it has been good therapy for me with my DW approach the end with her ALS.

This morning I worked on pins to hold the secondary ramps in place on the trailers shorter ramp.

I will post a final pictures with the Spyder on it when I get those last small E-track rails for behind the front tires. Chris

Spyder Garage

I'm curious about why you wouldn't want to take the ride on the Spyder, up the Pacific coast would be epic.