Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet issues

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet issues

We do not have a lot of choices of places to buy helmets where we live so we have to buy online. I recently asked for suggestions on different helmets on Facebook and we decided to go with the LS2 Valiant II Modular Helmet. We used the sizing chart online to determine what size to buy. After measuring my head, the chart said I should wear a Large. Every other helmet I have used I needed an XL. Again, I went to Facebook for suggestions on sizing to see of they run smaller or larger than the suggested chart size. I ordered an XL based off suggestions. I have had the helmet for about 2 weeks and it is really tight and presses on my forehead almost to the point of being uncomfortable. I can tolerate it for a while but we going on some long rides next month and I don't know that I can stand it on a 500 mile ride. Any suggestions on to make it more comfortable other than buying new helmets again? I hate to waste the money on them.
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

When you get a new helmet, it should be a "little" tight. If it hurts...then you need a bigger size. Our last two sets of helmets, we "broke them in" by wearing them for a half hour each night while watching TV. We started with a half hour, then 45 minutes, then an hour. After four to five hours, the helmets shaped to us and fit very nice now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    When you get a new helmet, it should be a "little" tight. If it hurts...then you need a bigger size. Our last two sets of helmets, we "broke them in" by wearing them for a half hour each night while watching TV. We started with a half hour, then 45 minutes, then an hour. After four to five hours, the helmets shaped to us and fit very nice now.
    My wife had the same idea, I thought she was crazy but we will give it a try.
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Sometimes you can change the internal pads to give you more room.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

A hard, rounded object such as the head of a bowling pin can be used to compress the foam at "hot spots". I wouldn't got too far with it but it has eased the pain from tight temples on a couple new HJC that I've had. Don't go over ~1/8" deep with it.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I have the LS2 valiant 2 also. I ordered my usual size of medium. It also was a bit tight at first. It seems to be getting more comfortable everytime i ride. It is still pretty tight on my cheeks when the chin bar is down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTx63 View Post
    I have the LS2 valiant 2 also. I ordered my usual size of medium. It also was a bit tight at first. It seems to be getting more comfortable everytime i ride. It is still pretty tight on my cheeks when the chin bar is down.
    We are okay with the tightness on the cheeks but the forehead is hard to take.
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

I recently bought a Harley Davidson pilot modular helmet. It breaks down into three pieces from a half helmet to a full face. For some reason I’ve always found that the Harley helmet fit me the best and that I can try them on and walk around the store to see how they really fit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    ..... I have had the helmet for about 2 weeks and it is really tight and presses on my forehead almost to the point of being uncomfortable.....
    Sounds like the lid is too 'round' for your head shape. It may be the correct size but you likely need a more 'oval' shape. If you call Revzilla and explain your hot spot, they should be able to point you to a better fitting lid. Removing foam or padding is not a wise idea if safety is of concern.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-18-2021 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Reminds me of when I was in Junior High (a very long time ago) and I slept with my new football helmet on all night to try to "break it in" before two-a-days started!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    We do not have a lot of choices of places to buy helmets where we live so we have to buy online. I recently asked for suggestions on different helmets on Facebook and we decided to go with the LS2 Valiant II Modular Helmet. We used the sizing chart online to determine what size to buy. After measuring my head, the chart said I should wear a Large. Every other helmet I have used I needed an XL. Again, I went to Facebook for suggestions on sizing to see of they run smaller or larger than the suggested chart size. I ordered an XL based off suggestions. I have had the helmet for about 2 weeks and it is really tight and presses on my forehead almost to the point of being uncomfortable. I can tolerate it for a while but we going on some long rides next month and I don't know that I can stand it on a 500 mile ride. Any suggestions on to make it more comfortable other than buying new helmets again? I hate to waste the money on them.
    Like someone else mentioned different manufacturers build for different head shapes. I once was gong to buy the LS2 but after reading about it decided it probably was the wrong shape for my head. Almost all charts say I should wear an XL but I usually require an XXL. I wear HJC almost exclusively now as their helmet shape in a XXL fits me regardless of the model and HJC is a pretty good value for the money, IMHO. Do a little google fu and you can come up with good info on helmet shapes vs head shapes. I will confess I once thought they meant face shape, but they are talking about the shape of your head from the top looking down onto your head.

Spyder Garage

If you can get to a Cycle Gear Store. They are great. Wife and I are going through the exact same thing right now. Her helmet was beyond painful. We brought hers back, and they replaced it to the next size up. No question about it! With mine, they removed three small pads in the front. Said to give that a try. So we will. This way there is no back and forth shipping. They have a huge selection of in stock helmets. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Where did you purchase the helmet? You might be able to return it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Sorry, somehow I managed a double post.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-18-2021 at 04:52 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

As mentioned by others. There is more to fit than head size. If you're getting pressure on your forehead, and there seems to be more than enough room between your helmet and ears (you should not be able to get your fingers between your ears and your helmet without some difficulty). Then the helmet is too round for you. You need a more oval shaped helmet (as has also been mentioned).

Head Shape Curve Chart.jpg

Some people have a basketball head, some have a football head. And there is everything in-between. Most helmets are intermediate oval, which is fine for most. But will be too round for some and too oval for others. The LS helmet you have is a neutral oval. A middle of the road helmet. You may want to look for a helmet that leans towards the long oval format.

Web Bike World does a lot of research and has a ton of helmet information. Here is a link to their 'Review by Head Shape' page. Scroll down and find your helmet and it will tell you what the head shape is. Or, look for helmets that are best suited to your head shape.
    https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/

If you're going to modify your helmet. Crushing the Styrofoam shell works. You are reducing the ability of the helmet to protect you in the area where you do this. So, you want to do as little as possible. I use a large spoon to do this. It give a nice, rounded compression. Do a little at a time so that you get the pressure releaf you need while decreasing safety as little as possible. Again, getting the correct head shaped helmet is the best option.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-18-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

This is probably the wrong thing to do, and I’m sure that will be pointed out to me, but my Schuberth 3/4 was a great fit except at the forehead.....and it was expensive and brought in from overseas, so I couldn’t ship it back easily. I carefully released the material covering, shaved maybe 1/16” off the forehead styrofoam using a small flexible box cutter, and reapplied the material. That was 4 years ago and it, along with the Shoei J-Cruise are the most comfortable helmets I own.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

i also did as Peteoz above did. i didn't have your brand helmet, but did a first time ride for 12 hrs in a new full face helmet. whew! it was uncomfortable, moving it around during ride to feel better. i actually had a bruise right on forehead that REALLY hurt. so i pulled back the liner and shaved off some styrofoam to get the desired fit
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    This is probably the wrong thing to do, and I’m sure that will be pointed out to me, but my Schuberth 3/4 was a great fit except at the forehead.....and it was expensive and brought in from overseas, so I couldn’t ship it back easily. I carefully released the material covering, shaved maybe 1/16” off the forehead styrofoam using a small flexible box cutter, and reapplied the material. That was 4 years ago and it, along with the Shoei J-Cruise are the most comfortable helmets I own.

Pete
    Don't let your local Mr Plod know that!!

According to the ADR's & Aust Approvals/Compliance bunf, doing that ^^ sorta thing, no matter how minor, makes your helmet no longer the same helmet that was deemed 'Compliant' on type testing, so therefore it's no longer safe for you to use/wear it while riding on our roads! So just like me'n probly close to 1/2 of the other 'helmet users' in the country who've done the same thing or some similar 'minor fitting/appearance modification' to our helmets, if Mr Plod decides to get shirty enough to check, you too could be fined for 'riding a motorcycle while not wearing an approved & compliant helmet'..... And don't whatever you do peel that bleedin' ADR Compliant sticker off the back of the helmet or take the ADR tag off the liner - that'll make your helmet downright deadly & might attract a defect sticker!!

Sorry, but I couldn't find the 'sarcastic' emoji, so you'll just hafta make do with those I did use!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Sounds like the lid is too 'round' for your head shape. It may be the correct size but you likely need a more 'oval' shape. If you call Revzilla and explain your hot spot, they should be able to point you to a better fitting lid. Removing foam or padding is not a wise idea if safety is of concern.
    Hit the nail on the head. I have an oval head. Very hard to find helmets to fit the oval!

Spyder Garage

Mine was leather, easy to break in!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    This is probably the wrong thing to do, and I’m sure that will be pointed out to me, but my Schuberth 3/4 was a great fit except at the forehead.....and it was expensive and brought in from overseas, so I couldn’t ship it back easily. I carefully released the material covering, shaved maybe 1/16” off the forehead styrofoam using a small flexible box cutter, and reapplied the material. That was 4 years ago and it, along with the Shoei J-Cruise are the most comfortable helmets I own. Pete
    I use heat, like with a soldering iron, to selectively melt the foam in places it's too tight.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    if you're going to modify your helmet. Crushing the Styrofoam shell works. You are reducing the ability of the helmet to protect you in the area where you do this. So, you want to do as little as possible. I use a large spoon to do this. It give a nice, rounded compression. Do a little at a time so that you get the pressure releaf you need while decreasing safety as little as possible. Again, getting the correct head shaped helmet is the best option.
    A heated spoon is a great idea, Ron.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I bought an HJC helmet online last year in size XL after measuring my head. It was too tight but because I had already worn it, they wouldn't take it back. So then I bought the 2XL. Again, my forehead was aching after a couple of hours riding. Again I could not send it back. I finally bought a 3XL. My head isn't that big so I'm guessing their size chart is wrong. I feel your pain.

That's the last time I buy a helmet without trying it on. Cost me $500 after all said and done. I guess I could sell them since they're brand new.

Spyder Garage

if order from revzilla they take them back. if are like my wife. she where's a long oval. she tried like 4 helmets. she has the LS2 strobe
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Helmet mods

I've modified a few helmets for better ventilation ( holes in foam didn't line up with air inlets) and for hot spots. Used the removal method rather than compression of the foam.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow