Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helmet issues

Spyder Garage

You need to determine your head shape before you shop for a helmet, especially if your head is oval. If it's long-oval, you'll find you have far fewer options. DAMHIKT. Very few helmet makers build a true long-oval helmet.

Arai's Signet-X is their only long-oval helmet line. Pricey, but it fits. I hear that some of the LS2 helmets are long-oval, but can't confirm.

Spyder Garage

I bought an HJC open face that I could never get rid of the pain in the forehead area. I took a chance on a Arai on sale and haven't regretted it so far.
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    If you can get to a Cycle Gear Store. They are great. Wife and I are going through the exact same thing right now. Her helmet was beyond painful. We brought hers back, and they replaced it to the next size up. No question about it! With mine, they removed three small pads in the front. Said to give that a try. So we will. This way there is no back and forth shipping. They have a huge selection of in stock helmets. Tom
    Update on my helmet. Went back to Cycle Gear walked in and took my helmet off in front of them. Guy looked at me, "that's way to tight on you". He had me try on a Shoei Neotec II. Wow what a helmet! Expensive as all get out. Gave me credit for the Sedici and I said that's steep for a helmet. The Shoei was $700. He knocked off $70, then another $30 off a new SENA made for Shoei. Cycle gear has gone out of their way for us. Taking back helmets no questions asked. They have earned our business! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SOlsenPHS View Post
    We do not have a lot of choices of places to buy helmets where we live so we have to buy online. I recently asked for suggestions on different helmets on Facebook and we decided to go with the LS2 Valiant II Modular Helmet. We used the sizing chart online to determine what size to buy. After measuring my head, the chart said I should wear a Large. Every other helmet I have used I needed an XL. Again, I went to Facebook for suggestions on sizing to see of they run smaller or larger than the suggested chart size. I ordered an XL based off suggestions. I have had the helmet for about 2 weeks and it is really tight and presses on my forehead almost to the point of being uncomfortable. I can tolerate it for a while but we going on some long rides next month and I don't know that I can stand it on a 500 mile ride. Any suggestions on to make it more comfortable other than buying new helmets again? I hate to waste the money on them.

The Cycle Gear people said those size charts are very rarely correct. You need to try on the different makes to see what fits your head best. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I agree with the comment by Fat Baxter that the problem may be that you have a long oval shaped head. I am the same. Every helmet I tried gave uncomfortable pressure on the forehead. I have now had 2 Arai Signet-X lids. They are the only model I find comfortable. Yes it is pricey but it is comfortable from the start, from a top company and Snell rated so that makes it a bit easier to take the cost.

I'd also second the opinion about contacting Revzilla. I have bought all my gear from them. I am fortunate to live near Philly so can actually go to their retail store, get suggestions from their staff and try things on, but I have also bought mail order from them. Top notch!