Spyder Garage

Default Buy New or Used?

I need some good advise. I don't and have not owned a Spyder ever, but I am buying one within 4-6 weeks. I am trying to weight the pros and cons of either new or used. I am in WV. I received a quote for a new stock 2021 RTL Chrome of $28141.00 out the door, this includes taxes, fees, license, title, etc... I also found used individual seller 2019 RTL Chrome 3000 miles, garage kept, excellent condition, just had the 3000 mile service. It has front and rear cup holder, phone holder, BRP driver backrest, BajaRon sway bar for approximately $21350.00 including tax, license, title, etc, and is 300 miles away from me. Please give me your opinions on which way to go. Thanks, Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish I had a problem/issue like that here in New Mexico.

Depending on your financial situation, I'd try the used Spyder first as you have never tried one out.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I agree with old Timer. Why eat the depreciation on a new one if it turns out a Spyder is not your cup of Joe. I intentionally bought mine at the end of the MY because I knew it would probably be my last bike and I saved a big bag of shekels on it. The '19 is just barely broken in. The only thing you will have to contend with is the crappy Kenda tires but you can replace them with good car tires at your leisure; the rear one will go south first.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Take the BRP class if you haven’t ridden a Spyder yet- nothing like a two wheel moto and you don’t want to make a $20k+ mistake. The price of that 2019 seems high; you could find a 2020 for that price and have the latest look.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

if interested the F3T i am selling is very good condition--BEST warranty until January 2023--thanks,

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would go for the new one. But my reason is because there was a major design change in 2020. If you get a 2019, you might as well get any year from 2014 and up. The only major difference would be the digital dash that was incorporated in 2018, and the difference in colors. I am waiting until I can come across a like new, used 2020 or better RT before I jump onto my next spyder.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New or Used

For a first time ryder, do you need an endorsement to Ryde. If so I would take the necessary steps to get it done. Check with your Spyder Dealer and see if they have any classes. My wife did the Can-Am class with the local dealer. The class used all Spyders which was a good help.

As for New or Used, that is the $5,000 question. Look and Ryde several Spyders to see what you think.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Slow down a little. Find a Spyder riding class near you and take that. They will give different Spyders and Rykers to ride. You may find you love something else other than an RTL. Look at the different models and years. There is s major design change in 2020.. I there have been a lot of improvements since mine(2012) came out. So look around, take the class, test ride what you can as much as you and you will answer your own question.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I'm new to riding a Spyder, reminds me of my snowmobile days. I was thinking of transitioning in 3 to 4 years when I hit my 70s, but a good used deal came up on a 2014 RT LE that I could not pass up. It had 9100 Kms on the clock when I bought it, six weeks later it now has over 12K Kms, enjoy riding it, so does the Mrs.

New or used. Solo riding with two up riding considerations?

New you are into warranty considerations on everything. DIY oil changes, keeping receipts. Upgrades such as a beefier sway bar, even new aftermarket shocks depending on your riding style - everything adds to cost. Belt tensioner, mine didn't come from the factory with one so I installed it and it does quiet any belt vibration. Not much else to do to the RT Limited, has just about everything. A used Spyder will generally have the necessary upgrade(s) such as BajaRon's sway bar.

I agree with the cosmetic design. The luggage space for the 2014 to 2019 RT LE is quite good but size wise is very limiting, only accepts certain size of luggage/packages. Helmet storage is not well thought out - small annoyance . You can put a full face helmet in the right saddlebag, and just fit one in the front trunk with not much else in it. The newer models have a much better rear trunk, and it can be removed if you don't want it on the Spyder.

If you are a taller ride, I'm 6'2", I find the seating position on my 2014 with the stock seat too far forward, have installed the BRP comfort seat that sits me 2" further back. Better leg position and foot brake access. With the stock seat found myself lifting my foot to use the brake, and could not rest the heel of my foot on the footboard when using the brake.

I also rode a 2018 F3 Limited for a few hundred Kms. Good seating position for the taller rider with longer legs. Liked the rear trunk as well, two modular helmets will fit. Has less plastic to remove when doing maintenance, but a little more engine noise because of this. Lower centre of gravity and slightly firmer suspension so the handling is more sporty. Easier to throw a leg over if you have leg joint issues. The F3 Limited comes with almost as many bells and whistles as the RT.

Why do I have the RT LE? Ride almost 50% of the time with the MRS, and she likes the RT LE better than the F3 Limited even though she did mention that the F3 would have been "fine". If she wouldn't ride on it, would still have my 1500 Goldwing.

If I was riding solo the majority of the time, I would have an F3 Limited. We'll see how it goes after we do our first long trip on the RT, an F3 may be here sooner than later.

The RT and F3 are both good machines, try them both. The local dealer here will let you take a Spyder home for a weekend when available. Not like a two wheeler where you can get the "feel" by riding for a half hour or so.

Good luck.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Based on the prices you quoted...it all depends how dear the $7K difference is. There is a difference between the 21 and 19 years. Me personally, I do not like buying used. Have owned seven Spyders now and they were all purchased new. Early on...it was trade almost every year. From 2012, 2014 and on, we kept them until 2019 and 2021 respectively. Both had 45K miles on them when traded off. We bought NEW, one year old machines in 19 and 21. Saved some bucks, took advantage of rebates, etc.

We ride over 1K a month on each Spyder and like the new, and warranty backing. So far, so good for us.

Test drives are recommended....but dealers may be hinky if you do not have the endorsements for the license.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I would go for the new one. But my reason is because there was a major design change in 2020. If you get a 2019, you might as well get any year from 2014 and up. The only major difference would be the digital dash that was incorporated in 2018, and the difference in colors. I am waiting until I can come across a like new, used 2020 or better RT before I jump onto my next spyder.
    As did I. Prior to the 2020 change....just wasn't a fit for me. F3s as much as I like the look didn't feel right also harder to get on/off. Really like my 2020 RTL bought used.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Take the BRP course and if you still want one buy it new. IMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

buy the new one youll love it

Spyder Garage

Asking first.Its only a “deal” if it works for YOU. Definitely want to test ride, see if you can adjust to the feel (how to lean in curves & turns), unfortunately some cannot. Seating on RT vs others, warranty, service history (verified not verbal) accessories maybe listed but usually ignored in price estimate. Each their own custom assortment kind of thing & previous owners don’t have use for them anymore (won’t transfer to new ride) laser alignment often required on either & can drastically change the feel. Good idea investigating availability while looking.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If you buy a new bike, it comes un-accessorized. And you will surely want to do that. The list is long. If you buy a well cared for bike only a couple of years old, you save on the price and it is hopefully already accessorized.