Spyder Garage

Default Need some info from the gurus - orange warning light flashes on dash?

I have a 2018 F3 Limited and when I was out today I noticed something strange. When I took a right turn a little fast an orange warning light came on for a split second. It didn't stay on long enough for me to see what it was. I think it looked something like this...II9. Sorry that is the closest I can simulate. Anybody have any idea what it could be? It comes on just above the speedometer digits. Is it the VSS warning light?

Spyder Garage

If you trigger a Nanny intervention &/or activate any components/sub-systems thereof, you might get such a light flashing momentarily on the dash - altho if the triggering is only juuust momentarily there can be instances where the indicator doesn't even have time to blink! But I'd guess that the indicator you saw was a momentary flash of the traction control or the stability control system indicator, and the intervention happened slow enough that you got & saw the flash, but fast enough that you didn't really feel the intervention!

No biggie, they happen like that WAAAYYY more often than most think; and a lot of the time, the operator isn't even aware that the Nanny has stepped in at all!! But since there's been no codes &/or limp home mode triggered, it was almost certainly nothing to worry about - just the Nanny watching your six!

Ride More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you trigger a Nanny intervention &/or activate any components/sub-systems thereof, you might get such a light flashing momentarily on the dash - altho if the triggering is only juuust momentarily there can be instances where the indicator doesn't even have time to blink! But I'd guess that the indicator you saw was a momentary flash of the traction control or the stability control system indicator, and the intervention happened slow enough that you got & saw the flash, but fast enough that you didn't really feel the intervention!

No biggie, they happen like that WAAAYYY more often than most think; and a lot of the time, the operator isn't even aware that the Nanny has stepped in at all!! But since there's been no codes &/or limp home mode triggered, it was almost certainly nothing to worry about - just the Nanny watching your six!

Ride More, Worry Less!
    ... Peter is spot on ( as usual ) .... I have done EXACTLY what you described maybe 1000's of time .... Usually it's only for one second ( or less ) and this won't actually trigger the brakes ( it's too brief ).... Lets you know how close to TOO fast for conditions.... don't be concerned it may have saved your bacon ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the "nanny" waking up. Even me, Mr. Conservative, has done it at least two times driving aggressively on the twisties. My Subaru's also do that any time the AWD kicks in for a second or two.

You should be okay, but try not to go over those center lines. That's too fast IMO. No extra charge of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all! I figured it was something suspension related but I couldn't find any images of what I was seeing. I knew you guys would know what the deal was.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    Thanks all! I figured it was something suspension related but I couldn't find any images of what I was seeing. I knew you guys would know what the deal was.
    Glad we helped .... however it's not really " suspension " related .... There aren't any suspension adjustments or high priced Shocks or Springs that will prevent the Nanny from doing what She does. .... She is triggered mostly from excessive " G " forces during turning ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

IF you had time to notice the VSS flash, your NOT riding aggressive enough! you will feel some loss of power momentarily tho, and if you really wake up nanny, might fell a little brake
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Play nice with nanny double check your owners manual See if recognize what you saw.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Nanny giving a warning. More and she would have cut the power a bit. More than that and she would have applied brakes. I love twisties and I think I have managed to burn out that particular light bulb
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Hawk View Post
    I have a 2018 F3 Limited and when I was out today I noticed something strange. When I took a right turn a little fast an orange warning light came on for a split second. It didn't stay on long enough for me to see what it was. I think it looked something like this...II9. Sorry that is the closest I can simulate. Anybody have any idea what it could be? It comes on just above the speedometer digits. Is it the VSS warning light?

Go to page 132 of your user MESSAGES IN MULTIFUNCTION GAUGE

Spyder Garage

A buddy and I just took our spyders for a -hard- 500 mile overnight trip, all twisties and poor roads. He has an F3 Limited, I have an F3S-SM6. When we were really pounding it hard, and the road got particularly bad, he'd get the orange warning light on his dash, I'd have the stability control step in and light it's bit on the dash. No big deal, although he had to have his computer reset recently because his stability control had received, according to the dealer, too many out of spec inputs too fast. The dealer really should go ride with us, and canam really should make a rally version of the spyder.
    2019 F3S SM6
    2019 F3S SM6 , Black metallic with pearl color change