Spyder Garage

Default Ever been an RT model year requiring 30psi in front tires?

I had to drop my F3 into a dealer for a quick check of my P060D error message while I was on my recent trip. He did not instill any confidence in me for a number of reasons. On my way out, I heard him telling a customer that the reason the customer was experiencing handling issues was that he had his front tyres at 16psi, and they should be at 30psi. As I didn’t know the year of the RT, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear the answer to the question - has there ever been an RT model that has had a spec of 30psi in the front tyres?

He also told me that he aligned Spyders “manually”, even though he had the “fancy” ROLO aligner as he was not prepared to draw lines on the floor and walls of his small workshop.

He was very good in that he fitted me in to do a quick check, and insisted on plugging in Buds, even though I gave him the P060D code and its description when I arrived. He then proudly the showed me the readout, which was no more, no less that what I already had given him......an issue between the P1 and P2 throttle sensors. He then told me that he would have to pull the F3 apart to find the “disconnect” and would need the F3 for quite some time.

I thanked him for seeing me, and hightailed it out of there and rode the 3 hours home on the freeway..... which was a pain, as the only symptom of the P060D apart from the flashing warning is no Cruise Control. My next nearest dealer is some 6 hours away as my previous closest dealer (2hrs) gave back their BRP hat a couple of months ago.

Looks like I’ll have a 6 hour trip from now on......but I may yet decide that it is “all just too hard”

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just as the AU dollar is higher than the US dollar, maybe the AU psi is higher than the US psi. So, I'm thinking 30psi down under may be closer to 20psi here in the States. 20 psi (US) is on the high side but not by a whole lot.

Problem solved. Glad I could help.

Spyder Garage

Just as the AU dollar is higher than the US dollar.. That was for a short time a decade ago. It's now worth about 70c US.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Just as the AU dollar is higher than the US dollar, maybe the AU psi is higher than the US psi. So, I'm thinking 30psi down under may be closer to 20psi here in the States. 20 psi (US) is on the high side but not by a whole lot.

Problem solved. Glad I could help.
    Thanks Monk....I knew I could rely on you

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I don't think there's ever been ANY Spyder sold to the general public that called for the front tires to be run at 30 psi, and especially not anything running a Kenda! In fact, I believe that the early 14" Kendas had a MAXIMUM pressure of only 30psi, but I can't recall what the Max pressure for the 15" Kendas is atm & I don't have one on hand to check....

Still'n all, that info you've given us adds up to that dealer having absofreakinlutely NO IDEA about what tire pressures to run in tires fitted to a Spyder AND no knowledge of how best to carry out wheel alignments for Spyders; and it also sounds like the dealer had a similar lack of knowledge about how best to help you with your Error Code problem! Well, either that, or they DO actually know better but instead of helping they chose to try to feed you a shed load of BS for some reason, maybe even just to gouge as much $$ out of you as they could in return for doing as little as possible that would really help?!? .

Doesn't really matter which of those it was, cos clearly, you are waaayyy better off outta there, never going back, and warning everyone you know of their 'less than competent' capabilities & knowledge about the products/machinery they are meant to know about and their 'less than helpful' attitude towards customer service! Shame about the distance you had to ryde to get that sorta crap service & info, but at least you now know not to leave your Spyder with them for ANYTHING, not even to get the tire pressure checked!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-17-2021 at 09:20 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, yes I am of the same opinion. I have had the F3 long enough, and delved into its eccentricities deep enough, to know a snow job when I hear one.

Luckily, the shop was only an hour out of my way on my way back from Orange. There was more that happened in the workshop while I was there (to another customer), that really made the hair rise on the back of my neck.

Customer focus in the business overall doesn’t appear great as they are primarily a CanAm off-road shop. I asked the sales manager a couple of months ago to call me if he got any new RTs in as I wanted to trade up. Guess what.......sitting on the showroom floor was a brand new sea-to-sky that he could have sold to me if he had called. He also had a new F3-L that was worth considering.......but now, I’d rather give the business to someone who shows an interest in their customers.

The major issue is I will have to travel 5 hours now to get both the current error and future service done in western Sydney, Brookvale (Sydney beaches) or Lismore.....and I have yet to get feedback on THEIR capabilities.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Well, for what it's worth, while I've got no personal experience with them (yet! ) I've heard nothing but good feedback about Sydney Beaches so far.... But it is a fairly long way, isn't it?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well, for what it's worth, while I've got no personal experience with them (yet! ) I've heard nothing but good feedback about Sydney Beaches so far.... But it is a fairly long way, isn't it?!
    Yeah, fairly long way, but it’s 5 hours south to the Beaches, or 6 hours north to Lismore. I could buy the sea-to-sky from the questionable dealer in Newcastle, and then get it serviced somewhere else, but I would rather give the business to Beaches, even if I don’t use them for service ongoing. (The Lismore mob only service Spyders....they don’t sell them)

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

30 PSI in the front will surely give you a bouncy ride, ie = bounce from lane to lane to retaining wall
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

G'day Pete

Go and see Pat at Lismore. I have tried the dealer on the Gold Coast (still new to Spyders). The dealer in Springwood is gone.

If you look at any of the Australian sites, everyone recommends Pat at Lismore. I will use him everyday.

Cheers
    Frank
    Gold Coast

Spyder Garage

May have been how BRP shipped them in the crates. Mine arrived with 30 all around. First thing I checked.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c