Spyder Garage

Default Limp Home Mode... what would've caused this?

...showed up on 2019 RTL while doing 75-80 on highway pulling camping trailer. Engine light had flashed, no overheating indication, no other lights. Slowed, pulled over, turned off RT, checked oil (OK), restarted and got off at first exit. Limp Home didn't show on restart. Checked Fault Codes and there were no active codes. Rode off an on for three days, headed home pulling camper and nothing showed up - no Limp Home. Any ideas what may have caused the Limp Home?

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Default limp home

the most obvious thing that comes to mind is you were covering the brake pedal and exerting enough pressure on it to activate the brake switch, without actually building up any pressure in the system. ECU doesn't like this so gives you limp home to protect you from yourself.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

OR, the gremlins were there and fell off when you pulled over. as long as code does not reappear.......... Ryde on

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I had an issue like this for a few years before we figured it out. Not saying this is what your issue is, but....

Was it raining or had it rained recently? The reason I ask is that we found that water was getting into the trailer plug. Causing the nanny to think the brake light was on. Dielectric grease in the trailer plug fixed the issue. Even if it is not your exact issue, I recommend putting some in there, it could be a cheap fix to problem that hasn't happened yet

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tips - the issue has not reoccurred. I could have had my size 13 boot somehow riding that brake pedal. I did it with my 2010 one time and didn't realize what was happening until a friend told me that my brake light stayed on a long time after we left a stop sign. That was me riding my foot on the brake. Tried to be careful since. I'm also getting some dielectric grease.

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

BigGuy, I recently had Limp Mode coming on intermittently for a 4 day trip. It was a throttle sensor error (P060D), so I couldn’t use cruise control when on the freeway. I got home, looked up the “fix”, back probed the connections, and found the ground pin was minutely loose when I inserted the probe. I then made sure it was well seated, restarted the F3 and haven’t see Limp Home since. It was possibly a minute contraction of some kind from leaving the F3 out overnight in -3c on the trip, with the ground connector occasionally not making contact.....just a theory, of course. Fingers crossed that that was indeed the cause. It obviously wasn’t considered serious enough to require the error to be cleared via buds.......hopefully, your issue is along the same lines.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

UPDATE - Been rydin' the RTL at highway speeds, using cruise control, in town, and no further issues with "Limp Home." I am now aware of things to check though... thanks - Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Just perfect, that people, asking for a solution, also reply when the issue is fixed , thumbsup Bigguy
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are good to go. Thanks for the reply back. That does not always happen here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red