Spyder Garage

Default RTS 2012 left handgrip light switch housing moving? Replacement?

Hi guys having major problems. I have a RTS 2012. Yesterday I was changing gears with shift paddle and the whole housing started moving. I came home and managed to take the housing off and put it all back in place, but now I am having a major issue. I had problems taking off the housing and I now can't indicate or use my high beams. I press the high beams and nothing happens, doesn't even come up blue on the speedo screen, I can't indicate right, and when I indicate left it stays on or if I press the cancel button the left indicator goes on. All the rest works including the menu button and gear shifting, but I can't activate the fault code screen. I am thinking that I now have a faulty LH electric housing. I can order a replacement from a dealer and have it sent to me, but I just have a question - does anyone know about the wiring? I watched a video on utube from smoak who replaced one, but it is a later model. I see in photos there are 3 connections, I was wondering how easy are they to find. I have done my own work on it before, like changing lights and different things. I don't have the manual but I know how to remove all the plastic work, I was just wondering if anyone knew where they were located instead of me fishing for hours to try and find the right connections?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2021 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thedevilreturns View Post
    Hi guys having major problems I have a rts 2012 yesterday I was changing gears with shift paddel and the whole housing started moving I come home and managed to take the housing off and put it all back in place but now I am having a major issue where I had problems taking off housing I now can't indicat or use my high beams, I press the high beams and nothing happens doesn't even come up blue on the speedo screen and I can't indicate right and when I indicate left it stays on or if I press the cancel button the left indicator goes on, all the rest works including menu button gear shifting, but I can't activate the fault code screen, I am thinking that I now have a fault lh electric housing, I can order a replacement from a deal and have it sent to me, I just have question does anyone know about the wiring I watched a video on utube from smoak who replaced one but it is a later model I see in photos there is 3 connections I was wondering how easy are they to find, I have done my own work on it before like changing lights and different things, I don't have the manual I know how two remove all plastic work, I was just wondering if anyone knew where they was located instead of me fishing for hours to try and find the connections
    I've had mine ( several models ) ... and there is a locator tab molded into that piece .... there is a hole in the handlebars for that to fit into .... the pieces are not held in place by pressure ie. screws/bolts ... that TAB keeps it from rotating .... possibly not have ever4ything aligned inside ???? .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure really how to sort it as when I look inside the component it's all built into each other I am not sure if there is a way to completely take it apart to see if it's all lined up

Thank you for your help

Spyder Garage

Default RTS 2012 Left Hand-grip housing connection location?

Screenshot_20210515-234729_Gallery.jpg

Hi guys I need to replace my 2012 left housing as its faulty does anyone know where the 3 connection pins are located I have been given the shocking price of £465 for the housing I am pretty good and replacing things it's just knowing where the wires are located as I am not quiet sure

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure that this isn't going to be a case of 'replace the complete hand-grip' or a 'pull it apart yourself and just try' job?!?

I don't think too many dealers or BRP themselves would recommend or be able to do anything but replace the whole hand-grip control module/unit, because it is effectively a fully integrated one piece unit as far as they are concerned - do any the parts descriptors or suppliers really break it down much more?!?

So if you want to try and fix just the light switch component of that 'one-piece integrated module' you are probably going to be pretty much on your own - altho I believe that there may have been a couple of threads or maybe only a few posts here from owners who've opened up the flexible covers under one of the switches & played around with the springs & ball bearings inside that actually make them 'click' into their different positions, but I'm pretty sure they didn't change any single switches out...

As for the wiring, it's all gotta go down the handlebars and then in/under the tupperware, so it shouldn't be too hard to trace once you start taking the tupperware body panels off in that area; not too sure there's much else you can do apart from look?! Sorry.

Over to you, and Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!