Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default trickle charger maintainer

over the past 2 weeks ive had 3 different chargers/maintainers hooked up to my 2020 f3 limited, the fully charged light never comes on , ive tried all three of them. its a 2020 leftover........starts up fine. hummm
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

If they are low amp maintainer type chargers it may take a while to get to it's happy spot! Make sure you have a good clean and tight connection from the charger to the battery!! But of coarse you know all that crap!!!! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

What's the voltage reading? Im thinking like 12.8 is a good charge. Go for a good ride, at least an hour, Disconnect from the bike to make sure you don't have parasitic load. Charge it all night. You can take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested since you disconnected it and charged it all night.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    What's the voltage reading? Im thinking like 12.8 is a good charge. Go for a good ride, at least an hour, Disconnect from the bike to make sure you don't have parasitic load. Charge it all night. You can take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested since you disconnected it and charged it all night.
    dont have a meter, thought it strange neither of my 3 maintainers got the green light, including the new one i bought just for the spyder, will disconnect it later after i ride it, and put it on a regular charger, and see what happens..
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    dont have a meter, thought it strange neither of my 3 maintainers got the green light, including the new one i bought just for the spyder, will disconnect it later after i ride it, and put it on a regular charger, and see what happens..
    Why don't you name the chargers you're using so we have a better idea of what you are talking about?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Why don't you name the chargers you're using so we have a better idea of what you are talking about?
    i have these...
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...s%2C285&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...%2C285&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S...roduct_details
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

I know it's a new bike, but if all your connections are tight and clean and you have your chargers bolted tight to the terminals, just for giggles slid by a parts store and have your battery load tested!!! Just for giggles, you never know! Or you have some thing on that bike that is drawing enough power to not let your chargers get to it's happy place! Maybe if it's possible unhook your neg terminal off the bike, that will cut the power to the bike, then hook your maintainer up and let it cook, If it goes to float mode then, you'll know there's a draw on the system! Let us know what you find!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

I see you have the same 'Battery Tender' as I have for my Spyder. If your battery is more than 4 years old it may have a problem. My battery is new and the Tender goes to float mode within an hour. The old battery was taking about 5 or 6 hours. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp

BLACK+DECKER BM3B 1.5 amp

Battery Tender Junior 0.75 amp

I've used the Battery Tender Junior on each of my bikes for years to maintain the batteries during long and short storage periods. They work very well for that purpose. Ditto the Battery Tender Plus on my travel trailer battery.

But they are both primarily 'maintainers', and not designed to help recover a depleted battery. Also note their maximum charge current, particularly the 'Junior' is insufficient to overcome even a small parasitic draw.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

over the past 2 weeks ive had 3 different chargers/maintainers hooked up to my 2020 f3 limited, the fully charged light never comes on , ive tried all three of them. its a 2020 leftover........starts up fine. hummm
    How do you connect the battery maintainer to the battery? Do you use clamps? Or do you use the ring terminal pigtails that come with the Battery Tenders?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have the Black and Decker one and it works fine. My 3-4 year old battery is getting weak, however always goes to green light when plugged it. I was going to wait until fall to replace the battery when we returned from the summer up North and took the Spyder out of storage. Then my wife's health has us staying in Arizona, so I am going to pull the battery and have it tested today.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I see you have the same 'Battery Tender' as I have for my Spyder. If your battery is more than 4 years old it may have a problem. My battery is new and the Tender goes to float mode within an hour. The old battery was taking about 5 or 6 hours. .......
    He said it’s a 2020, so I doubt the battery is 4 years old

Spyder Garage

i have the rings on the terminals, and routed out the side, and tywraped, so i can just plug it , and unplug it, when i want to..
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have the rings on the terminals, and routed out the side, and tywraped, so i can just plug it , and unplug it, when i want to..
    And you've double checked where the ring terminals are connected to the battery posts for a clean, tight connection?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    And you've double checked where the ring terminals are connected to the battery posts for a clean, tight connection?
    yes all tight,,spyder was sitting on showroom floor for over a yr. before i bought it..im gonna put a regular charger on it this weekend, and see what happens.
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yes all tight,,spyder was sitting on showroom floor for over a yr. before i bought it..im gonna put a regular charger on it this weekend, and see what happens.
    Well, I'm thinking if it's able to start the engine, the battery should have enough of a charge. Maybe it gets up to a little over 12v, but not up to the voltage at which the maintainers switch into float mode. Strange.

Maybe something like this is needed to 'recondition the battery https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC.../dp/B0789697JT
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I have the Black and Decker one and it works fine. My 3-4 year old battery is getting weak, however always goes to green light when plugged it. I was going to wait until fall to replace the battery when we returned from the summer up North and took the Spyder out of storage. Then my wife's health has us staying in Arizona, so I am going to pull the battery and have it tested today.
    Battery tested fine at Batteries+ today, so it is back in the Spyder, and ready for a ramp test tomorrow on the 6x12 Primo trailer I am looking at to buy. Going to mount a 4x2x2' diamond plate box in the front of the trailer, and maybe an A-Frame box on the tongue. I want to be able to use the trailer to haul other "stuff"!
    Ramp is a bi-fold ramp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

the problem with mine was the battery, totally dead saturday morning, since it was new it would never reach full charge with trickle charger, and i tried a few of them,, called dealer they warrenty me a new one, and now it reaches full charge over night with trickle charger, so the battery that came in it, had problems from the start..
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Sept 28, 2021

I just purchased a new 2021 F3LTD. When I got home I put it on the charger from my 2021 S2S but the indicator light remained yellow and never turned to green. What is the problem ? I will check with the dealer tomorrow. It starts right up.

Motogordo Spyderman
    Delanco, New Jersey
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-28-2021 at 09:53 PM. Reason: ramained = remained ;-)

Spyder Garage

motogordo, you might have the same problem an fredgal in the post above yours.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motogordo View Post
    Sept 28, 2021

I just purchased a new 2021 F3LTD. When I got home I put it on the charger from my 2021 S2S but the indicator light remained yellow and never turned to green. What is the problem ? I will check with the dealer tomorrow. It starts right up.

Motogordo Spyderman
    Delanco, New Jersey
    Does your battery tender have a setting for AGM batteries, or maybe a 'snowflake' symbol labelled 'Cold' or something similar?? Have you given your battery at least 12 hours of charging on that setting (with the correct connection polarity of course! )

Our Spyder/Ryker batteries are 12 volt AGM batteries, and they need a different charging profile to a 'normal' wet cell 12v battery..... and if the battery is discharged too much or has never been fully charged to start with, then unless your 'battery tender' is also a full on 'battery CHARGER' that's smart enough to charge AGM Batteries, the tender just may not have enough juice to ever charge it up properly!

There again, if it's not that you're using the wrong charger setting, then maybe your 'new' battery just isn't all that good - it wouldn't be the first time a brand new battery has been a dud or failed immediately; and definitely not the first time that's happened on a new model Spyder either!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

A lesson I learned several years ago...... A "bad" battery left on a tender for an extended period of time, may very well start the bike..... initially. But then will reveal it's badness when you least expect it. Now, after leaving the bike on a tender for a prolonged period, I make sure it starts OK. Then, I will leave it off the tender for a couple of days before going for a ride. A good battery jumps to life. A bad one doesn't...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I would have it load tested just to be on the safe side!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Pigtail.

Spyder Garage

We just got one new BRP 2022 sled last week. When we let it sit for a week and went to fire it up it was slow yesterday. I would first put the battery on the charger and make sure it is fully charged. A lot of these batteries have been sitting around for a while since there is such a chip/ parts shortage etc. A trickle charger is not going to charge a 1/2 dead battery very fast. If it has enough amps to push it might take 24-30 hours to charge that battery full with a trickle. A charger will get it up there much quicker and better. Then put in bike and run it. Then test with the trickle. I let my battery charge on turtle mode for 5 hours yesterday if fired up like a new battery after. I will still amp test it in a week or so but I am sure it was not fully charged. It is happening in trucks too. There are so many new trucks sitting on the lots for over a year not at the dealers. Yes they start and fire up but the battery is loosing some while they sit there for so long. Even though its a new machine I bet that battery is over a year old already.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”