Thread: Steering play?

Spyder Garage

Default Steering play?

Got up to go for a ride today and for some reason I started playing with the steering system, i.e. the handlebars. Now it’s probably always been there, but me being paranoid knowing everybody’s out to get me, I noticed about 3/16 play in the bars before anything would move on the front wheels. I messed around going back-and-forth and found that there was nothing moving all the way up to the wheels. Tell me to just having another adult beverage and not worry about it Thanks so much, Peter.

Spyder Garage

Model, year, mileage?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Got up to go for a ride today and for some reason I started playing with the steering system, i.e. the handlebars. Now it’s probably always been there, but me being paranoid knowing everybody’s out to get me, I noticed about 3/16 play in the bars before anything would move on the front wheels. I messed around going back-and-forth and found that there was nothing moving all the way up to the wheels. Tell me to just having another adult beverage and not worry about it Thanks so much, Peter.
    Well 3/16 ths isn't much at all. ... however where you are measuring the 3/16 ths matters a lot.... What I would be concerned about is - if you are driving down the highway and holding the bars steady .... Does it wander side to side ??? .... when you move the bars very slightly does the steering respond ??? .... There is " play " in all steering systems, there are many parts that have to be loose enough to move, otherwise it wouldn't work ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sorry RICZ, you keep me honest. 2016 Can-Am SE six, 10,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

The 3/16 is eyeballed at the middle of the handlebars where they attached to steering head. The bike steers fine on the streets and on the road, I just have not noticed this place before. Probably just need a little handholding as this is my first three wheeler. Like I said above I should probably put my Binky in my mouth and move on. Thanks guys

I just rechecked it and maybe this would help. At the end of the bars or the grips it moves about 3/8 to a half inch, before any of the wheel components move.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 3/16 is eyeballed at the middle of the handlebars where they attached to steering head. The bike steers fine on the streets and on the road, I just have not noticed this place before. Probably just need a little handholding as this is my first three wheeler. Like I said above I should probably put my Binky in my mouth and move on. Thanks guys

I just rechecked it and maybe this would help. At the end of the bars or the grips it moves about 3/8 to a half inch, before any of the wheel components move.
    Like I said above the " where " matters .... 3/8th at end of bars is fine ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Follow the steering shaft at the bottom you'll see the splines if their loose tighten them

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it very much.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This steering play/looseness topic has come up before...Some on here had it and had the steering box replaced under warranty...I think they were all RT's??? Do a site search and you should find some history out there...larryd