Spyder Garage

Default Newbie here, hoping to join the 3-wheel world!

I don't know, I went nearly 40 years without any interest in bikes of any sort, then it hit me. For assorted reasons a trike seems like the way to go for me at the moment, and while I looked at the Spyder I think I'm leaning Ryker at the moment.

I don't see any really big road trips in my immediate future, but I do have a pretty nice, mostly rural 30 mile round trip commute daily in Western NC that I think could be enjoyed in the open air.

Getting licensed is going to be the hard part it seems, the local DMV wasn't a pleasure to deal with even before Covid upended things. I think the nearest office that does road testing is an hour away. I'd be very interested in taking a class, but I'm pretty sure the closest 3-wheel one is TWO hours away.

I guess I'm going to have to go to an office to get some info on the process, can't get them on the phone and unless I completely fail at searching - the NC Motorcyclists Handbook does not even state what the restrictions are for driving with a learners permit.

Bureaucracy aside, I'm pretty excited to get started. I'm apparently not the only one. Took a drive to East Tennessee ATV last weekend to check out some Can-Ams in person, and every one on the floor was already spoken for.
    2021 , Galactic Blue

Spyder Garage

Keep us updated. Test drive a couple models to see which suits your needs the best. A new Ryker can be had for around $10K. The Spyders are twice that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum Grayson, Glad your finding your .way around. You should look at getting your learners permit first, that is usually just a written test. That part is easy than look here for a course https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/learn-to-ride.html Can Am will provide you with a Ryker or Spyder to use for the course and in most states they will give you the test at the end of the course for your license. I hope someone form NC will jump in and give you the NC info for permit and confirm it is just a written test. Good Luck, you will be glad you got your Ryker License.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck, as mentioned prior test drive a few times if possible. It will be worth it !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Good luck, as mentioned prior test drive a few times if possible. It will be worth it !
    I'm hoping to. Do most places require a license to do so, or is a permit enough?
    2021 , Galactic Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    I'm hoping to. Do most places require a license to do so, or is a permit enough?
    Grayson, have you looked at the training link I posted above to see if there was a class near you? If you have your permit they will teach you to ride on a Spyder or Ryker and its cheap. Click the link than click sign up now and it will take you to where you put in your state than city for class available in that area. You can sign up for there, they will give you dates to pick from.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

for NC a MC license or permit can be 2 or 3 wheels
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    for NC a MC license or permit can be 2 or 3 wheels
    They do that for the license here in PA also but if you have the 2 wheel license you can ride 2 or 3 wheels, but if you have a 3 wheel license you can only ride 3 wheels, not 2 wheels and a slingshot you don't need a motorcycle license but you have to wear a helmet. I think that's how it gos.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I'd like to take the class, but the closest one is 2 hours away. I'd even take it over in TN, even though NC probably wouldn't exempt me from the skills test from an out of State course, but there isn't a closer class over there either.

I have considered spending a weekend in Hickory and taking it.
    2021 , Galactic Blue

Spyder Garage

if you take it you should stay in NC so you can get your License at the end of the course. 2 hours is not bad. Long fun day and worth the excitement.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Wait...is it just a one day class? ETA - looks like 8-6 on Saturday and Sunday per CCCTI. Still, not too bad. I've gone ahead and asked off a few days in August...
    2021 , Galactic Blue