Spyder Garage

Default At the dealer now - Help with tire size

I brought my new Altima RT43 215/60 R15 to a local dealer for install. After removing the original, the mechanic says the new tire is to narrow to fit the rim. Original Kenda is a 225/50. Will the new tire fit/leak????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DKWSpyderLTD View Post
    I brought my new Altima RT43 215/60 R15 to a local dealer for install. After removing the original, the mechanic says the new tire is to narrow to fit the rim. Original Kenda is a 225/50. Will the new tire fit/leak????
    Should fit.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Agree, I found a website "Wheel/Rim size calculator". It states a 215/60 will fit a rim from 6" to 7.5" wide. The original rim width is 7". Who would have thought that you can stretch the 215 to fit a 225 original size. The Service mngr is convinced that it will work. Whoo. Thanks.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Agree, I found a website "Wheel/Rim size calculator". It states a 215/60 will fit a rim from 6" to 7.5" wide. The original rim width is 7". Who would have thought that you can stretch the 215 to fit a 225 original size. The Service mngr is convinced that it will work. Whoo. Thanks.
    It amazes me how many " so called " professionals are clue-less .... Glad the " service mngr. " knows more than the mechanic ..... The General Altimax RT 43 in 215/60 -15 is and has been used by about 20% of the members here .... not an issue .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The ONLY way that tire 'is too narrow to fit the rim' is if the tech is abso-freakin-lutely incompetent or someone is trying to rip you off/sell you their preferred tire instead! I'm currently running a 205/65R15, but you could even safely fit a 195/65R15 onto the Spyder rear if you really wanted to go that narrow or tall! Does the tech get a commission on every tire he 'sells & fits', but not on those he just 'fits'?!

The tech has surely GOTTA be just yanking your chain, but if they're not, then don't walk away, RUN!! And tell the Service Writer/Owner/Dealer Principal of the place that you're telling everyone you know about this AND that you're NEVER going back there if their techs are that incompetent or dishonest!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The ONLY way that tire 'is too narrow to fit the rim' is if the tech is abso-freakin-lutely incompetent or someone is trying to rip you off/sell you their preferred tire instead! I'm currently running a 205/65R15, but you could even safely fit a 195/65R15 onto the Spyder rear if you really wanted to go that narrow or tall! Does the tech get a commission on every tire he 'sells & fits', but not on those he just 'fits'?!

The tech has surely GOTTA be just yanking your chain, but if they're not, then don't walk away, RUN!! And tell the Service Writer/Owner/Dealer Principal of the place that you're telling everyone you know about this AND that you're NEVER going back there if their techs are that incompetent or dishonest!
    What may have happened is if the new tire, when housed at the warehouse,were stackedon top of each other…..the weight flattens the beads closer to each other. When the tech mounted it on the rim, he or she wasn’t able to get the beads to seat on the rim. There are a few tricks out there to accomplish this.
    Just a thought ……..you learn by doing.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Another reason to stay away from shops. I do not trust guys with tools and my things. See too many hamfisted schlockmeisters who think they know what they are doing fook thing up bad.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    What may have happened is if the new tire, when housed at the warehouse,were stackedon top of each other…..the weight flattens the beads closer to each other. When the tech mounted it on the rim, he or she wasn’t able to get the beads to seat on the rim. There are a few tricks out there to accomplish this.
    Just a thought ……..you learn by doing.
    True dat!

But a truly competent tech would know & be prepared for that type of thing, and they'd also know that there's a whole heap of 'authorative documentation' from a variety of knowledgeable sources that tells techs the rim sizes you can readily fit any sized tire onto - and they are all pretty much unanimous in showing that a 215/65R15 is actually smack bang in the middle of the 'approved range' so it's probably a BETTER FIT for the Spyder's rear rim than the OE spec 225/50R15's that are on the edge of that range are!

So like I said, from what we've been told, it really appears that it's either a case of the tech lacking much in the way of tire fitting competence, OR the tech/dealer/whoever is pedalling this 'too narrow' crap is quite unscrupulous &/or dishonestly(?) trying to do something else?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2021 at 09:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It amazes me how many " so called " professionals are clue-less .... Glad the " service mngr. " knows more than the mechanic ..... The General Altimax RT 43 in 215/60 -15 is and has been used by about 20% of the members here .... not an issue .... Mike
    Here I am!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

As stated, that tire size fits the rim perfectly with no issue.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have that exact same tire on mt 2014 RTS. It's been 2.5 years and thousands of miles and it has not fallen off. Dealer install was NO problem at all. Even balanced with NO weights.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I have that exact same tire on mt 2014 RTS. It's been 2.5 years and thousands of miles and it has not fallen off. Dealer install was NO problem at all. Even balanced with NO weights.

Lew L
    Thanks for the input guys. I rode 50 miles in 105 degrees to what I thought was a good service center. Really disappointed not only in the mechanics ignorance but when I got home and checked the tire pressures, the rear was 30 psi and the fronts at 10 psi. Unbelievable. Obviously Im still looking for a good Spyder mechanic in Phoenix.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The local tire tech told me one time that going up or down one size from the OEM size is no problem. Going two sizes either way requires caution, but probably can be done OK. Going three or more sizes up or down is pretty much a NO-NO!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input guys. I rode 50 miles in 105 degrees to what I thought was a good service center. Really disappointed not only in the mechanics ignorance but when I got home and checked the tire pressures, the rear was 30 psi and the fronts at 10 psi. Unbelievable. Obviously Im still looking for a good Spyder mechanic in Phoenix.
    Have you considered taking the wheel of yourself and just take it to Big O Tires or another tire shop? I really hope the dealer is not Ride Now Peoria. Surely they can't be as bad as Chandler RN.

BTW, I would be more than happy to help you. We can do it in my garage.

Spyder Garage

Thanks AZCanAm, RN has not impressed me. I went to Nash Phoenix and should have gone to Nash Mesa, as I hear they are the authorized service center. I'm still looking for a good mechanic in north phoenix. I was reluctant to remove the rear. I will be removing the fronts and taking them to a tire store to mount and balance. Appreciate the offer. If (or when) I wear out the rear, I will take you up on the offer. Stay cool.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried Peoria Ride Now? I have heard they are good. I have all the tools so anytime brotha. In regards to Nash, Mesa or bust.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The local tire tech told me one time that going up or down one size from the OEM size is no problem. Going two sizes either way requires caution, but probably can be done OK. Going three or more sizes up or down is pretty much a NO-NO!
    Actually there are no sizes or combination of sizes F to R using OEM wheels, - that will piss off the NANNY .... Spyders will only accept a very narrow range of tire sizes .... I have added spacers and tweaked the front fender brackets to allow 185 tires to be used and that didn't upset the Nanny .... However if you use way over-size wheels, that's a whole different matter .... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually there are no sizes or combination of sizes F to R using OEM wheels, - that will piss off the NANNY .... Spyders will only accept a very narrow range of tire sizes .... I have added spacers and tweaked the front fender brackets to allow 185 tires to be used and that didn't upset the Nanny .... However if you use way over-size wheels, that's a whole different matter .... Mike
    He was talking in general terms of tire safety with regard to how well the tire bead will marry to the rim profile. One or two sizes above and below the width the rim is made for isn't a problem, but three or more sizes either way you run a risk of the tire bead not fitting the rim profile correctly.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

He was talking in general terms of tire safety with regard to how well the tire bead will marry to the rim profile. One or two sizes above and below the width the rim is made for isn't a problem, but three or more sizes either way you run a risk of the tire bead not fitting the rim profile correctly.
    ??? ... IMS I answered your quoted post specifically ... What's the point in discussing sizes that CAN'T fit your Spyder or the reasons why ... When I was an LEO and told someone to STOP - I didn't elaborate on the 10 or 15 reasons why, I felt STOPPING was necessary. I generally operate on the KISS principle. My Post was meant to be clear and all encompassing...... Mike