Thread: engine break in

Spyder Garage

Default engine break in

I have always had used spyders, Now we bought a new rt . well be here in about 2 hrs, is there a break in process for the new bike. Man I like asking this question LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. Make sure there is oil in the engine. Unfortunately, the official procedure says to run the engine for 15-20 minutes to warm it up before checking it.

2. Use modest acceleration, followed by closed-throttle deceleration, repeat.

3. Use brisk acceleration, followed by closed-throttle deceleration, repeat.

This procedure will load the rings in both directions to seat the rings a bit quicker. The older method of babying it for 1000 miles might not load the rings sufficiently for a proper break-in.

It has been a while since I have had a completely new vehicle to use this procedure, but I HAVE rebuilt a few motorcycle engines in the last few years. Using this procedure, they have been doing just fine for power, as well as fuel and oil consumption.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

New brakes and tires need a couple hundred miles to "break in." The rest is simple...vary the speeds for the first five hundred miles or so. I am not one to "drive it like I stole it." I have no problem with those who do....but I would take that advice if given freely by someone here with a grain of salt. It's your new Spyder.

I have not had any of my Spyders over 80 mph EVER.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Read your operator's guide! Read your operator's guide! Read your operator's guide!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats & enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3ntune View Post
    I have always had used spyders, Now we bought a new rt . well be here in about 2 hrs, is there a break in process for the new bike. Man I like asking this question LOL
    Listen to Steve W. His advice is correct. Once home, then I would go over all the documentation. It could, very well, answer other questions too. But always feel free to jump on here and ask any. We all want to help.

Spyder Garage

I've always gone by what the OM states. Has never failed me on any new car/truck/motorcycle. Enjoy your new ryde.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Oh will I get flamed in here. I’ve had a lot of new motorcycles since 1956 and a lot of cars with a big engines. The advice I got from my engine builder for over 30 Years was drive it like you were going to drive it normally. Drive slow and careful that’s the way you will drive it normally. If you’re going to drive it like you stole it break it in that way. That way the engine is used to your habits from the beginning. I’ve always use this philosophy for my Harley‘s, for my racers and my latest Can-Am. I’ve never had a problem with any engine due to my brake in habits. The one thing I do agree with is not going directly out on the highway and running at a constant speed for several miles. But in town, do what you wanna do. Enjoy your new ride.

Spyder Garage

Your owner's manual will tell you what you need to know about breaking in your new Spyder. Go by what it says.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I was amazed how stable my RT was at 85 on the interstate. I’ve had it faster but only for a few moments and some acceleration tests. I think these are very well-built and stable machines.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    I was amazed how stable my RT was at 85 on the interstate. I’ve had it faster but only for a few moments and some acceleration tests. I think these are very well-built and stable machines.
    200 miles on mine new F3-limited, had it up to 70 mph twice for a brief period, also very stable, but i noticed a big difference ,with the new Bajaron swaybar, compared with the OEM bar........ gonna be in the 70's this weekend and and maybe 80 by the end of the week , so i plan on getting some miles on this thing, these are so fun to ride...
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's