Spyder Garage

Default splash guards on my 2020 limited, in front of floor boards

as i had to slide the plastic guards things back to access bolts for new sway bar, whats the purpose of them, if its for when its raining ill never need them, as i dont ride in rain or any chance of rain, was going to take them off as long as i have them all most off thanks.
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Probably keep a stray rock from getting your shin!

Spyder Garage

If the 'splash guards' on the later models work anything like those on the earlier models, they'll also improve the airflow around the Spyder and reduce some of the turbulence, eddies, & buffeting that can occur around the edges of however little of a 'rider/pillion still-air bubble' you might have.

You can see for yourself how something like those splash guards can make a difference to the air flow by taping the last 1/2" or so of a few (or a whole bunch! ) 3"-4"ish long 'tassles' of wool or other light thread in strategic spots all over your Spyder, leaving the loose ends free to flap in the breeze (or air flow! ) then going for a ryde. Sure, it might be just a 'poor man's wind tunnel', but watching what those free flapping ends do and which way they flap can be quite educational!

Me, I'd be refitting them unless you had some really pressing reason for leaving them off, but then it is your Spyder!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    as i had to slide the plastic guards things back to access bolts for new sway bar, whats the purpose of them, if its for when its raining ill never need them, as i dont ride in rain or any chance of rain, was going to take them off as long as i have them all most off thanks.
    No reason why you needed to move the splash guards to swap out the sway bar.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I had to move mine (2016). Not a problem tho. Put them back because u do need them for airflow control (your pant legs will ride up your leg quickly) and road debris. You've never been caught in a surprise rain storm in NE PA?

Pretty sure you don't want fresh road kill staining your pants.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    No reason why you needed to move the splash guards to swap out the sway bar.
    the back side of bushing block bolt was hard to get too, it was covered by plastic..
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

the back side of bushing block bolt was hard to get too, it was covered by plastic..
    You are talking about the 2 plastic plates on the underside, correct? Yes, you had to remove/swing down those to do the sway bar. Those plates help a lot for keeping crap from getting lodged up into the hollows. Helps with noise reduction too by reducing turbulence underneath.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    You are talking about the 2 plastic plates on the underside, correct? Yes, you had to remove/swing down those to do the sway bar. Those plates help a lot for keeping crap from getting lodged up into the hollows. Helps with noise reduction too by reducing turbulence underneath.
    My apologies. I thought you were referring to the oddly shaped rain diverters just in front of the floorboards. Those don't need to be removed, at least not on a 2020+. If you're referring to the plastic "skid plates" under the bike, then those definitely need to be removed.

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2020 RTL, i did the sway bar change also no problem with splash guards being in the way.����

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    My apologies. I thought you were referring to the oddly shaped rain diverters just in front of the floorboards. Those don't need to be removed, at least not on a 2020+. If you're referring to the plastic "skid plates" under the bike, then those definitely need to be removed.
    yes the splashplate's had to be removed to remove the stiffener pins, also when i pushed the bushing block bolts out they hit the oddly shaped rain diverters as you call them, the bolts were almost out but hit them, i could have pulled the plastic flap back to get them out, but i choose to loosen them up and slide them back, all that matters, is that i got it installed and it made a big differance on my ride yetserday.. very happy with them.
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you got it done. When I swapped out sway bars on my 2021 RT, I pulled those blocks down instead of out the side. They were a struggle but I didn't have to remove anything but those underside plastic pieces.