Spyder Garage

Default My new homebuilt Spyder trailer for $460.

Just finished my homebuilt Spyder trailer for $460. Am very pleased with the result.

Aluminum Ultra Tow trailer kit 48x40 (Northern Tool) $409. delivered to Az
    Voyager 18cf roof top carrier (Craigslist) $40.
    Plywood deck and fasteners $10.

Took about 8hrs to build including removing 2 leaf on each leaf spring assembly, wheel bearing pack and wiring.

Loaded it up with about 150 lbs -- distributed for 20lbs on the tongue. Took it out on the Hwy at 65-70mph. Couldn't tell it was back there.
    Did bounce a little at first. Discovered the tire pressure out of the box was 40psi. Reduced to 20psi and solved that issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL S2S, BRP arm rests, smart mount backrest, Pedal Commander, F3 position B handlebars, adj side vents.
    2021 Sea To Sky , Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mhan View Post
    Just finished my homebuilt Spyder trailer for $460. Am very pleased with the result.

Took about 8hrs to build including removing 2 leaf on each leaf spring assembly, wheel bearing pack and wiring.

Loaded it up with about 150 lbs -- distributed for 20lbs on the tongue. Took it out on the Hwy at 65-70mph. Couldn't tell it was back there.
    Did bounce a little at first. Discovered the tire pressure out of the box was 40psi. Reduced to 20psi and solved that issue.
    What is the dry (unloaded) weight?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nice DIYing .... I built something similar, I used a Sears car top carrier also 18c.f. .... I didn't buy a trailer ... I made mine from 2 in. PVC 40 plumbing pipe & fittings .... did a cantilever axle set-up using a few BED springs .... works great ..... PS, I have found that trailer tires are different from reg. tires, they like to be on the HIGH side pressure-wise .... see what it says on the sidewall ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Actual dry weight of completed trailer 142lbs.
    Trailer full of our camping gear and cooler filled with ice - 230Lbs. 20lb tongue wt
    Trailer comes rated for 1000lbs. Tires 4.80 X 12, sidewall says max load 800lbs @ 50psi.
    I am running them at 20psi, will experiment with different pressures and watch tread wear.
    Last edited by mhan; 05-15-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added info
    2021 RTL S2S, BRP arm rests, smart mount backrest, Pedal Commander, F3 position B handlebars, adj side vents.
    2021 Sea To Sky , Green

Spyder Garage

I am finishing up my DIY trailer and used almost the same exact setup as you have. I have two questions:
    What did you use as a base for the cooler?
    Did you have a part in the trailer kit to hold up the tongue when the trailer is not connected? I didn't have anything left in the box.
    Thanks!
    P.S. - Looks Great!

Spyder Garage

I crafted a cooler carrier from alum angle from the hardware store. Riveted together with alum rivets.

rack (2).jpg

Trailer kit does not come with tongue stand. Made mine from a piece of 1x1 alum square tube I had laying around. Swivels up into the tongue bar.

stand (2).jpg
    2021 Sea To Sky , Green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actual dry weight of completed trailer 142lbs.
    Trailer full of our camping gear and cooler filled with ice - 230Lbs. 20lb tongue wt
    Trailer comes rated for 1000lbs. Tires 4.80 X 12, sidewall says max load 800lbs @ 50psi.
    I am running them at 20psi, will experiment with different pressures and watch tread wear.
    I've had something similar and tried reducing tire pressure for a softer ride, but had problems with tires breaking their beads loose on twisties and losing air. Keep an eye out for that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That looks great.

I crafted a cooler carrier from alum angle from the hardware store. Riveted together with alum rivets.

rack (2).jpg

Trailer kit does not come with tongue stand. Made mine from a piece of 1x1 alum square tube I had laying around. Swivels up into the tongue bar.

stand (2).jpg
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I looked into doing something like that last year but backed away because of the "speed rating" of 45 MPH for the trailer. Did you do anything about bearing or tire upgrades? Not sure if it's necessary with the load well below capacity but just curious about your thoughts. Thanks..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I looked into doing something like that last year but backed away because of the "speed rating" of 45 MPH for the trailer. Did you do anything about bearing or tire upgrades? Not sure if it's necessary with the load well below capacity but just curious about your thoughts. Thanks..... Jim
    Jim, I have a Harbor Freight steel version of that trailer that I have set up to convert from stake sides to car top carrier quickly and have done some 70 MPH testing for 50 miles and hub and tires were cool. Load in trailer was about 50 pounds.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got my hands on one of the last HF tag-along trailers available before HF dropped the line. Experimenting with trailer tire PSI can be tricky at best. Loaded vs unloaded, lightly loaded vs heavily loaded, and so on. Something I learned early on was to chalk my tires and test run them. Simply record your PSI and mark a chalk line across the tread of the tire you're testing near the valve stem (makes the line easier to find). Pull the trailer a short distance and check the chalk mark. If it is gone from the center of the tire and still showing on the edges, too much air. Just the reverse, too little air. What you're looking for is the chalk line to wear off evenly within a short distance of travel. I did that with my spyder using BK 911's PSI recommendations and his inflation suggestions appeared to be spot on.

Spyder Garage

I bought one of the HF trailers in 2013 before they haulted sales for several years. Stored it away for almost five yars, then brought it out and assembled as a bike hauler using a loading ramp for the bike to set on. Still working great, and has hauled 3 GL1000s, CB750F, RD400, and hauls my GL1000 to shows regularly. First thing and annually after I change the grease. Pull behind an S10 pickup. Tires as mentioned are hard to figure. To handle a load they need full pressure. Light loads need low pressure to prevent bounce. Would I pull it behind the Spyder? Maybe, if I had the correct lighting setup I might haul the RD400c, but not a GL1000! Normally on tour we plan to pull our Uni-go.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Greasing HF wheel bearings

I've pulled apart several trailer wheel bearings and have found the efforts both useful and useless. I've found that on the first inspection if I get no noise or excessive slack when spinning the wheel, there's likely no need to pull the bearings. I punch an appropriate-sized hole in the bearing cap and screw a zerk fitting into that hole. Then I fill the hub with grease until it starts coming out under the seal on the rear bearing. After that, I take the trailer for a ride to heat the bearings. Then I recheck the bearing for proper slack. Yep, some of the grease is going to ooze out but it's easier to clean that up than it is to disassemble and repack the bearings if there is no need.

Spyder Garage

Update:
    Just returned from 30 day road trip-- Az to Key West and back. Now have 9500 mi on this little cheap trailer. Speed 65-70mph, with original 45mph tires. Found 15psi in the tires gave best wear pattern and least bounce. Tires about 1/2 worn at this point. Aluminum fenders cracked from metal fatigue at the fasten points after passing thru the Ozarks. Took them off and saved them to repair later. Easy fix. Did about 4000mi without fenders, not sure if that was legal.
    2021 Sea To Sky , Green

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Aluminum fenders cracked from metal fatigue at the fasten points after passing thru the Ozarks.
    Keep an eye on the tongue also. There's a tremendous amount of up/down bouncing on the hitch. If the tongue isn't stout enough it may be prone to cracking at the front of the trailer body. As you've already seen, aluminum is prone to fracturing since it's not very elastic.

The tongue on my home made trailer broke more than 3/4 of the way around at the front of the body. I had made it out of 2" inch square steel tubing, 0.060" thick. It wasn't stout enough. It's held up good after the reinforcement and repair I did on it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)