Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Spyder RT-S not shifting properly when wet

I've noticed that in the rain or after washing my spyder that I have trouble upshifting the SE6 transmission. It seems that when the switch for the paddle shifter gets wet, upshifting is a very noticeable problem. I've had to use quite a bit more pressure than normal to get it to shift. Downshifting hasn't been an issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix for it? Sometimes I get caught in the rain and have no way of covering the paddle shifter. I will be covering it when I wash it from now on.

Thanks in advance.
    Gene
    2014 RT-S , Circuit Yellow Metallic

Spyder Garage

No problem in over 71K miles and I've ridden in some hellacious downpours. When I wash my Spyder I never direct any spray at either handlebar switch housing.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Paddle may just be wearing out &you notice more when wet as long as have not tampered or added anything to control should be water tight.
    flex seal

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That should not be an issue. They're designed to handle all kinds of weather. I think something else is going on.

Need more info.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

SignDude, yes a heavy rain can cause the problem that you are describing. I had the same problem and symptoms that you are having. Mine occurred after heavy rains in Michigan back in 2018. I stopped in at Robs Performance Motorsports while in Johnson Creek, Wi. on my way back home. They replaced the entire left handle paddle shifter and the rest of the stuff on the left handle bar. Now it is working great, in fact it has improved the issue of canceling the turn signals that were very difficult.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the responses. I’m going to do my best to keep it dry until I can replace the left hand switch assembly.
    2014 RT-S , Circuit Yellow Metallic