Spyder Garage

Spyder Transmission Filter Replacement?

Is anyone aware of a Transmission Filter recall/replacement for 2011 RTS Spyders. I was told that I should be having an updated transmission filter installed on my bike and that should be no charge? Anyone else heard of such a recall?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Well, this is a long story.

1st, the filter issues with the early Spdyers were 100% due to extremely poor quality materials and construction by BRP. There were never any issues with the aftermarket filters for the Spyder. Engine or Transmission. BRP's filters were disintegrating, collapsing and just generally destroying engines, which BRP had to replace on warranty. Not good.

So, did BRP go the rational route and just contract with already established, off the shelf filters which were working great? Or, maybe just make a decent filter? No. Instead, they decided to re-invent the wheel, including a different sized transmission (actually HCM) filter. So, now you have a filter that is used by just 1 vehicle on the entire planet. The SE5 Can-Am Spyder. With such a low volume sales potential. No aftermarket company was willing to make them. So, if you go to the extended filter (which is not necessary), you'll be stuck for life paying for the much more expensive BRP HCM filter. There are no other options. Maybe by design?

The OEM filter flowed all the oil volume that the HCM needed. Bear in mind that you're not filtering all the oil for the transmission, as this is done by the engine oil filter. Instead, there is hydraulic valving which shift the gears instead of your foot and a gear shift lever. It is only these valves and the relatively small hydraulic system which utilize the HCM (Hydraulic Control Module) filter.

In late production 2012, BRP pulled ALL filters off the shelves and from every dealership. You could not purchase a BRP oil filter of any kind for the Spyder for a few months. All dealerships were required to hold all in stock units, and all units in production at the BRP factory were held until they received the new filters. Again, BRP could simply have used HiFlo, BikeMaster, K&N etc., aftermarket filters (which is what the rest of us did) during this transition. But they chose not to.

The next piece of the puzzle is that during the months after this crisis, every SE5 that went to any Can-Am Dealership for anything at all, was converted to the new filters. The owners were not always informed of this. But it is a rare Spyder that escaped this conversion. However, a good number of smart people were able to keep their HCM oil filter cap which allowed them to continue using the original sized aftermarket filters that they'd been using previously.

So, all you need to do is measure your HCM filter cap length to know, for sure, what you have. If it is 7/8" Long, then you have the original filter (very unlikely). If it is 1-3/8" Long, then you have the Extended transmission filter. Extended sounds great. Everyone wants 'Extended'! Right? And, to BRP's credit, the new filters are of very high quality. But once you reach the needed volume flow, additional flow capacity is somewhat of a waste. The original filters flow all the oil volume the engine can deliver. So, the extended filter is pretty much overkill and not really necessary (as BRP will attempt to convince you that it is).

Last, but not least. I am pretty sure that the 'Free Conversion' program ended long ago.

I've got customers with well over 100,000 miles still using the original filter sizes.

Here is a picture of what you are looking for. It will help you locate your HCM oil filter on the SE5. The SE6 is a totally different animal and none of this applies to the 1330 engine.

EngineOilFilterCoverA.jpg
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-13-2021 at 02:26 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

thank you for your very valuable information! I will check it out!

Spyder Garage

So Ron are the after market filters still made? What happens if you put the smaller filter in the larger can?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So Ron are the after market filters still made? What happens if you put the smaller filter in the larger can?
    If you put the smaller filter in the larger can, the filter will not be secured in place. The oil will just flow around it and no filtering will take place.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The aftermarket filters are still readily available because BRP originally used filter dimensions already in use by a number of other machines. Those machines and current engines are still using these filters. So, they will be around for a long time. BRP did not change the dimensions on the engine oil filter for the 998. So, you can still use the same aftermarket filters there.

You can't use the smaller filter with the extended cap. It will not seal at both ends so you'd essentially have no filter at all. With the extended cap, you're limited to using only the extended filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    If you put the smaller filter in the larger can, the filter will not be secured in place. The oil will just flow around it and no filtering will take place.
    Oops! Should have read down another line before I posted!

Spyder Garage

Thank you Ron. I have an 11 rt I bought used in August and am going to change the oil and filters. I was going to order the filter kit from you but didn't know if it has been updated. This site is great but searching in it can get complicated. I have found it better to use Google search to link to thread than the search eng here. BTW when I got the rt I found the handling kind of scary. After researching and getting different opinions I got your sway bar. Omg what a difference. I can't believe that can am would sell a machine that was that bad.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorsickle View Post
    Thank you Ron. I have an 11 rt I bought used in August and am going to change the oil and filters. I was going to order the filter kit from you but didn't know if it has been updated. This site is great but searching in it can get complicated. I have found it better to use Google search to link to thread than the search eng here. BTW when I got the rt I found the handling kind of scary. After researching and getting different opinions I got your sway bar. Omg what a difference. I can't believe that can am would sell a machine that was that bad.
    Glad you like the bar! As for filters. If you're not sure which trans filter you have (assuming it is an SE5), be sure to check before you order so you get the correct filter the 1st time around. Not good to get everything drained and discover you have the wrong filter.

Spyder Garage

Talking Ordered oil Kit from you

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Glad you like the bar! As for filters. If you're not sure which trans filter you have (assuming it is an SE5), be sure to check before you order so you get the correct filter the 1st time around. Not good to get everything drained and discover you have the wrong filter.
    Ordered the Kit from BaJaRon and fit perfectly and very fast shipping, took all the guess work out for the filters, and O rings and washers.
    hueyman

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I got the right ones.