Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Non-motorcycle front dashcam recommendations?

I just leased a new car. It's not fancy but I've seen how most drive and want a little extra "insurance" so I'm looking for a dashcam. I only want/need a front camera. I want something hardwired with good enough resolution that it can pick out an offender. It doesn't need to be cinema quality. I'd prefer something with a microSD card so I can download and/or review any footage. I also need it to be relatively inexpensive. Cash flow is currently an issue. I don't want one of those $20 Amazon cheapie dashcams but I don't want something that breaks the bank, either.

Any good suggestions that you've used?

TIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much are you willing to spend then?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know. 100 bucks, maybe? I'm not going to saving the videos for future use although if I get to drive somewhere really nice, I might want to save some for MY future use. I've heard of some dashcams from APEMAN. Never heard of them, though.

Spyder Garage

Dunno about over your way, but here in Oz, pretty much any dash cams that come in under about $300 basically ARE the same sorta thing as those $20 Amazon cheapie dash cams you say you don't want.... only you get the privilege of flushing away more of your hard earned for no real benefit to anyone but the re-seller!!

If you want something that's going to be Truly Worthwhile in the event of an accident by providing useful enough image quality & a wide enough/detailed enough field of view, then you hafta pay for it! And certainly over here, that means the 'cheapie units' ie, all those under about $300, just aren't up to par!

I'm currently using a twin camera (front + rear)Blackvue 750, and it does the job without being cinema (or even 'youtube' ) quality, but even as a 'front camera only' unit, they cost more'n just a little bit over your $100 limit!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-12-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Monk,

I have the original HERO HD. I used probably a total of 10-15 times. The other week I threw out the charger and wire harness for connecting to the tv. The last time used was 2 years ago. It's in a water proof case. The battery isn't corroded I'm charging it now. I no longer have the instructions. All the different mounts were tossed along with an extra battery. What I'm saying is it's yours, no charge. If your looking for a mount, check gpscity.com, or if you want the original mounts, google HERO. There are videos of the original HERO HD on the internet; I just checked. Also, there is an after market light attached to the mounting stick, still attached to the camera. I don't have the charger for that. P.M. me your address, if you want it.

I just checked. The case it is in is not waterproof. I threw the waterproof stuff away too. Right now the camera is attached to one of those hand held sticks.