Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2021 Rides Like A Buckboard

I picked up my 2021 RT Limited last week. I'm worried that I have a problem with the automatic suspension feature. The ride is very "harsh" . Almost like there no suspension, or it's "wound very tight". When I come to a stop, it feels like it "settles". I've been riding solo to get accustomed to all the new features.
    This is not my first RT Limited. I traded my '15 in on this '21. I'm really missing the adjustable suspension feature right now. Is there a way that my dealer could make some adjustment to the auto suspension setting through the BUDS under warranty??? If I explained my issue in this manner,would my dealer understand my issue???
    Thanks in advance for any help that will come my way.
    Mike T
    Last edited by MikeT; 05-12-2021 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Typo Error
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I wondered if my RT-L auto level was working. So I manually release the air in the suspension at the schrader valve and watched watched the rear go down. Started it up, and put it in gear(I think), and it came back up. My pump is very quiet and/or my hearing range misses hearing the pump run.

Sounds like yours has an issue.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

take it back to the dealer. my sea to sky did the same thing. it was a senser programed wrong from the factory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the air pressure in your tires first. Most dealers pump them up to the max pressure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the first items on my checklist was to check the tire pressures. The 2021 Owner's Manual has only one tire pressure listed for the fronts and rear. 20 PSI-front, 28 PSI-rear. My fronts were high, my rear was low. My 15 RT Limited gave a range: Front 20 PSI +/- 2 PSI, Rear 26 PSI +/- 2 PSI.

Spyder Garage

Also look to see if the arm going to the air valve is attached. There have been some to report that it was not hooked up from the factory.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I want to say thanks for all the input. Rode my RT Limited To my dealer late this morning. Got me right in for a Buds diagnostic. Nothing out of range. However, the service tech reset the zero on the R1 sensor to his weight of 260lbs. He told me the "relaxing/setting" after coming to a stop is normal. Something about how the auto system senses the motion of the rear tire. Hope I haven't been fed a line of bull*****.

Spyder Garage

Yes when you come to a stop the rear end maybe a little higher so it lets out some air to correct the height.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Shawn Smoaks mentions the issue in the you tube post found in the link below. He never said exactly what the issue was but he seemed familiar with the issue. Seems it was a mechanical type issue vs firmware as he mentioned a bolt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MQEeh8J3W1o&t=615s

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2019 to a 2021. I didn't notice any difference in ride. My front tires are 20 psi and the rear is 28 psi. I can confirm that both of the Spyders will, at times drop a little air in the rear suspension when at a stop. I notice it more when riding solo. You can check the air, I'm not sure how much they are suppose to have. If someone doesn't chime in with the normal psi, pm me and I will put a pressure gauge on mine and let you know what mine is at.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Shawn Smoaks mentions the issue in the you tube post found in the link below. He never said exactly what the issue was but he seemed familiar with the issue. Seems it was a mechanical type issue vs firmware as he mentioned a bolt.

Yeah, that was where some dealers “forget” to bolt the bag sensor to the frame, Adventurer.......tends to limit the auto operation of the airbag

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

To me it sounds like the ACS rod is not connected or incorrectly installed.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post

Arm that activates the compressor is bolted to an attachment point. If tech never put the bolt in, simply doesn't work.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    I went from a 2019 to a 2021. I didn't notice any difference in ride. My front tires are 20 psi and the rear is 28 psi. I can confirm that both of the Spyders will, at times drop a little air in the rear suspension when at a stop. I notice it more when riding solo. You can check the air, I'm not sure how much they are suppose to have. If someone doesn't chime in with the normal psi, pm me and I will put a pressure gauge on mine and let you know what mine is at.
    How do u check the air pressure (rear suspension) on a 2021 RTL.
    Doug 2020 RTL F3 Short reach bars -factory backrest
    K9CRT Ham Radio
    Sold 5/27/2021 Spyder just wasn’t for me. Went back to Goldwing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    Arm that activates the compressor is bolted to an attachment point. If tech never put the bolt in, simply doesn't work.
    How do you check if "the bolt" is there, not there, or improperly installed. Can it be seen with the '21 Spyder on the ground, or do you need a lift???

Spyder Garage

Left side behind passenger footpegs area.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Also look to see if the arm going to the air valve is attached. There have been some to report that it was not hooked up from the factory.
    Checked. Yep, it's connected.

Spyder Garage

My 18 F3L settles when I come to a stop. It's normal. Mine rides very nice. Not harsh at all and I'm 230 lbs
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue