Spyder Garage

Default New member here from Southern Illinois.

Hey all,

New member here. Rick is my name. I recently purchased a 2014 RTS with 47k miles and have been lurking on SL for the past month since I have joined. Thanks for the add by the way. I have enjoyed learning ( and still learning ) and educating myself with everyone's input. And Youtube has been a great source of information as well. Many thanks to the folks making, and sharing, their videos too. What a god send these people are. It's always nice seeing first hand tutorials. Makes the job so much more doable and bearable.

I use to pre-think that owning a Spyder would be a challenge I dreaded because of all the tupperware removal situation. Not many folks in our area that have Spyders to chat with about.

Well, let me say that since acquiring mine I have done my first oil change, air filter cleaned ( K&N ), and even installed Magic Mirrors. I love those Magic Mirrors. The tupperware removal is no longer a task I dread. I can't tell you how many times I have been back and forth to my garage while looking on this forum checking things out. Whoever had my Spyder previously had done many upgrades that I am thankful for.

Yes, I am still trying to find my elusive "sweet spot". Some day it's great, some days....well! It's getting better. I have taken many hints from members here and applied them. I just need more saddle time. My riding times, and the weather here has not been so cooperative these past few weeks.

Wasn't sure if I would like the Spyder, I had sat on them at the dealers. I bought mine without ever riding one. It was a now or never situation when I did purchase it. I got a great deal and I knew I would adapt. I did my homework when looking for a spyder and knew that I would be getting a 2014 or newer. After purchasing it, and accustoming myself after a few rides, I knew the SE6 was the perfect choice. My previous ride was a Honda Silverwing 600 Touring Scooter w/ trike kit. Loved it too, but needed something a bit more robust for 2 up highway riding.

Just wanted to say Hello, Thanks again, and I am truly enjoying this forum. Ciao!
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi Rick,welcome to Spyderlovers. Post early and post often. Thanks for the introduction. Lets see a picture of that Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks pegasus1300, I finally got it figured out how to upload a pic. Here she is!
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.. & ... .... If you ever want some advice on Auto tires myself & Peter can help you out ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .. & ... .... If you ever want some advice on Auto tires myself & Peter can help you out ..... Mike

Thanks, Mike. Much appreciated. I am going to be replacing my rear tire at the end of this riding season so all advice / suggestions are surely welcome.
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Welcome Aboard Briorick!

on your new ryde and your first posts on the Forum. Lotsa knowledgeable people here to help with any questions you might have; and with any luck, before you know it you too will be sharing your experiences & telling us all about the Miles of Smiles your Spyder brings!

Cheers! Here's to Happy Posting AND to Happy Ryding!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations from Pocahontas IL

Spyder Garage

Where are you located, I'm in Creal Springs.

Spyder Garage

and on your new ryde. The 2014 is a great machine. I recently traded off mine on a 2020 F3L. It also had 47K miles and was still going strong.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    Where are you located, I'm in Creal Springs.

I'm in Coulterville. Northwest of you, and South of duke50. I had relatives living in Lake Egypt area, so know where Creal Springs is located.
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
    Thanks, Mike. Much appreciated. I am going to be replacing my rear tire at the end of this riding season so all advice / suggestions are surely welcome.
    As to tires, Peter and I have have schooling and training in how they work and under what conditions .... We both believe Kenda spyder tires are basically JUNK. Auto tires are way better - If they are properly inflated for the lightweight Spyders .... In the U.S. the BEST all-around tires are Vredestein Q-5's, for front and rear. The General Altimax RT43 ( in 215/60-15 ) works very well for the rear also.... Why not the front ? - they don't come in a sizes that are small enough without modifying the front fender brackets. As to handling - a light touch with the steering works best ... best advice I got was " just drive it like a Car ". .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

As to tires, Peter and I have have schooling and training in how they work and under what conditions .... We both believe Kenda spyder tires are basically JUNK. Auto tires are way better - If they are properly inflated for the lightweight Spyders .... In the U.S. the BEST all-around tires are Vredestein Q-5's, for front and rear. The General Altimax RT43 ( in 215/60-15 ) works very well for the rear also.... Why not the front ? - they don't come in a sizes that are small enough without modifying the front fender brackets. As to handling - a light touch with the steering works best ... best advice I got was " just drive it like a Car ". .... good luck .... Mike
    Thanks, Mike.

I have been following "It's Yours, OWN IT" on Youtube and he did a good video review on the Vredestein Q-5's. The tire I currently have on the the rear is a Kumho Ecsta AST. It's nearing it's life cycle, which I already knew when I bought it. What are your thoughts on this tire? Good or Bad? I realize it's all a matter of personal opinion too, as I have come to see by viewing tire reviews here.
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Congrats from Herrin. Not a lot of Spyders around here but I do see one or two on occasion. I wanted to ride to work today but was too lazy to get the heavier jacket gear out. It's warmer out now so I'm kicking myself Enjoy the ride.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike.

I have been following "It's Yours, OWN IT" on Youtube and he did a good video review on the Vredestein Q-5's. The tire I currently have on the the rear is a Kumho Ecsta AST. It's nearing it's life cycle, which I already knew when I bought it. What are your thoughts on this tire? Good or Bad? I realize it's all a matter of personal opinion too, as I have come to see by viewing tire reviews here.
    For about 1/2 it's life ( 12 to 15,000 mi. ) the over-all traction W & D is decent. But many here who used it report that it's WET traction diminishes quite a bit. This won't happen with the Q-5 or Altimax RT 43 ( V rated ) ..... PS, To me Opinions on tires are similar to BUTT theory, Peter and I use Science as our criteria ..... I suggest you look at Peter's past posts about tire science - lots of great honest info there ..... Mike ... PPS I also have a 14 RT in white .... I also have a Spider on my Frunk hood, however it's twice as large as yours and it's 3D. I got it at Holloween a few years ago, it's made to look like an actual Spider .....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beerandchips View Post
    Congrats from Herrin. Not a lot of Spyders around here but I do see one or two on occasion.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. Been through Herrin many times.

You're right, not many around here. Although, we were out riding about a week ago, coming back from the camper show in Marion, and seen about 4 Spyders passing through Pinckneyville. Was great seeing others out Spydering, and enjoying the day.
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

For about 1/2 it's life ( 12 to 15,000 mi. )
    PPS I also have a 14 RT in white .... I also have a Spider on my Frunk hood, however it's twice as large as yours and it's 3D. I got it at Holloween a few years ago, it's made to look like an actual Spider .....
    That's good to know as to the longevity of this tire. I know ( assuming here... but you know the old saying ) it's reached almost all of those miles from the looks of it. Not quite to the indicators, but close. I should be good for the rest of the season. I'm an easy rider.

I bet your Spider looks sweet! I love Halloween, best time of the year. Yeah, my Spider Web is only a 9" x 6" in dimension. But is does have a chrome ( plastic coated ) spider attached atop the web. Pretty cool looking. Hard to see in the picture.

I did look at a website that had decals and body wraps. I was amazed, and in awe, at the same time.

Ps.... forgot to ask who Peter is you are referring to. Thanks.
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm in Coulterville. Northwest of you, and South of duke50. I had relatives living in Lake Egypt area, so know where Creal Springs is located.
    You get down here, touch base. Have not come across anyone in the immediate area with a Spyder. Seen a couple on the road and suspect they are close but haven't sync with another spyder rider.

Spyder Garage

That's good to know as to the longevity of this tire. I know ( assuming here... but you know the old saying ) it's reached almost all of those miles from the looks of it. Not quite to the indicators, but close. I should be good for the rest of the season. I'm an easy rider.

I bet your Spider looks sweet! I love Halloween, best time of the year. Yeah, my Spider Web is only a 9" x 6" in dimension. But is does have a chrome ( plastic coated ) spider attached atop the web. Pretty cool looking. Hard to see in the picture.

I did look at a website that had decals and body wraps. I was amazed, and in awe, at the same time.

Ps.... forgot to ask who Peter is you are referring to. Thanks.
    Sorry bout that .... " Peter Aawen " .... He's also one of the Moderators .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats & welcome. Enjoy !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    You get down here, touch base. Have not come across anyone in the immediate area with a Spyder. Seen a couple on the road and suspect they are close but haven't sync with another spyder rider.

I'm always up for a road trip. If I get down that way, I'll look you up.

I have seen 2 others here locally in the past, it's a rare occasion though. One passing through I spoke with, and another while shopping at Walmart. We are of the few, that's for sure. At least in my area.
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Congrats & welcome. Enjoy !
    Thanks Saluda, much appreciated!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White