Spyder Garage

Default Range Calculation in Fuel Statistics

I filled my 900 ACE up today, and my Range in Fuel Statistics said 110 miles. That doesn't make much sense for a 5 gallon tank, as my average MPG said 34.5. Has anybody else noticed anything off about the Range calculation?

Also, does anybody else notice a flat spot in the power curve at about 40 MPH? The power in general is great with the CVT.

Thanks.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Thats the one big beef that I have with the Rykers, very inaccurate fuel gauges.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

You can trust your range calculator a lot more AFTER the fuel capacity starts dropping on the fuel gauge. (bar graph) The fuel tank is so oddly shaped is most likely the reason why it's not accurate with a full tank. Others have mentioned this reason also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    You can trust your range calculator a lot more AFTER the fuel capacity starts dropping on the fuel gauge. (bar graph) The fuel tank is so oddly shaped is most likely the reason why it's not accurate with a full tank. Others have mentioned this reason also.

Thanks. I searched the forum for this but couldn't find anything.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Copied from an earlier thread & my post from May the 1st this year on this very subject:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Those 'miles to empty' indicators are calculated off your most recent gas consumption, so if you coast down a long enough hill using just a tiny amount of gas, your 'miles to empty' reading will look a whole lot better than if you just accelerated hard to get on the freeway and have been maintaining high revs @ hwy speeds since. So what you tell us isn't beyond the realms of possibility Jcummins. Altho as UtahPete mentioned earlier, the gas gauges & other similar 'BRP in-house developed' electronics are quite renowned for their ummm, shall we say, lack of real usefulness?? You should see the variations I got in my gas gauge - sometimes it told me I used almost 5 gallons/20 litres of gas in just 200 yards from a careful fill-up; yet with the very next fill-up, the gauge might still've said it was FULL despite me having just ridden almost 200 miles on it - and that's with the smaller tank the V-Twins run too!!

So given that the 'miles to empty' info shown is probably well within the bounds of possibility if you were coasting or ryding gently/slowly, but also possibly based upon a potentially wildly erratic 'gas remaining' reading & what appears to be a fairly short view of the engine's 'recent gas usage', variations & readings like those you mention are not only possible, but really shouldn't be surprising. It's just the way these things work.... especially with BRP's electronics!!

Given that, I really wouldn't EVER rely on that 'miles to empty' reading!! Just Reset the Trip meter every time you fill, and then keep an eye on how far you've travelled since you last filled; maybe even work out your average mpg occasionally so you can get a pretty good idea of how far you can go while still leaving a quart or so of gas in the tank. It shouldn't take you too long/too much in the way of calcs to get a reasonable idea of what distance is safe and then never exceed that - you REALLY don't want to run these modern fuel injected engines dry too often, if ever!! It's not good for them and even just running them dry once might badly impact your fuel economy &/or power.... maybe even do something worse! Run it dry or very nearly dry too often and you will be almost guaranteed to be doing some permanent harm to your injection system &/or engine!
    So just to re-iterate, the 'Range' & 'Miles to Empty' info displays are VERY MUCH effected by the last few minutes of running your Spyder/Ryker's engine did, BUT the calc also takes into account your 'long term fuel use average' AND the instantaneous speed & fuel use that's occurring at the given moment of the calc, altho there is some delay between the calc & that result hitting the display Still , all up, at their ABSO-BLOODY-LUTE BEST, they are pretty much akin to a WAG!!

Use your trip meter and YOUR calculated long term Average fuel consumption from distance travelled & fuel used; or maybe you should use your 'worst ever' fuel consumption instead.... because you REALLY don't want to run your tank dry too often!! These engines & Injector Systems REALLY DON'T LIKE THAT!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My range calculation is always way low. So much so that I can go 20 miles after a fill up and have the range actually increase. As someone else has said, at about one half on the gauge that range becomes more accurate.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

A typical situation across the board on the recent fuel guages.

Peter explains it very well above.

I consider them "information" only and not to be relied on if you are at a should I fill or should I keep going decision. When in doubt, fill it if you can get it.

At each fill, I always do two things. Set one of my trip meters to zero, AND, fill the tank to as close to maximum as possible. Auto shut off is NOT your friend. I always fill up to the metal circle, stop, let it go down and re-fill to the circle. Then I am done. This gives me all but about 1/2 gal of air space. My 1330 (a different engine from yours), will go 250 miles before a fill is needed. I get 40 mpg fairly consistently. I know the Rykers are different. Do the fill as above and you will come up with a consistent mpg and a consistent range so you know when best to re-fill.

With the longer range on our 7 gallon tanks, I never wait for the light to go on. 180 to 200 miles is what works best for us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    A typical situation across the board on the recent fuel guages.

Peter explains it very well above.

I consider them "information" only and not to be relied on if you are at a should I fill or should I keep going decision. When in doubt, fill it if you can get it.

At each fill, I always do two things. Set one of my trip meters to zero, AND, fill the tank to as close to maximum as possible. Auto shut off is NOT your friend. I always fill up to the metal circle, stop, let it go down and re-fill to the circle. Then I am done. This gives me all but about 1/2 gal of air space. My 1330 (a different engine from yours), will go 250 miles before a fill is needed. I get 40 mpg fairly consistently. I know the Rykers are different. Do the fill as above and you will come up with a consistent mpg and a consistent range so you know when best to re-fill.

With the longer range on our 7 gallon tanks, I never wait for the light to go on. 180 to 200 miles is what works best for us.
    You cannot fill the Rykers tank all the way to the circle, it leaks out and runs down the tank and in front of the seat. Actually you cant even come close to filling it to the fill hole, even at 2" below that fill hole, and it will leak out. Different tank design than the Spyders.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

The fuel gauge and miles to empty calculator are a MESS! I get well over 100 miles to 1/2 tank. Then the gauge goes down in a big hurry. I come from the days when there were no fuel gauges, calculators or anything but your 'Reserve' valve to tell you what your fuel situation was. Never had a problem because in those days. YOU were the fuel gauge and range calculator. You learned your machine and you got pretty good at knowing when you needed fuel.

I use the fuel gauge as a relative meter. I know what my mileage range is and I reset my trip meter every time I fill up. Getting the tank full without spilling fuel everywhere is a challenge. I'm still working on that skill. I don't even bother with the range calculator.

The Spyder is much easier to fill and get full.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I don't trust the fuel gauge. I use the old fashion trip odometer. I fill up around 140 miles and can get in just under 5 gallons.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I only use the : "miles to empty calculator" and that works fine ! the Ryker need the double of fuel if I ride solo with some biker-friends or uphill here in the Alps. So during the ryde the system always calculates up and down ! If you stop and make a restart it calculates not with the last trip, it takes the middle of all your miles from the storage.. did not know that when I got her !!
    I "testet" also another software for this ( Australia-version ?) where the "miles to empty" showed me euphoric the double value of my EU Version .. not good if you make a longer tour, if thats not realistic !!
    When the tank is full I normally get 125 miles to empty - by the older software she shows 230 miles (400 kms) ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats