Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Nothing would have gotten that woman's attention. Her head was somewhere where the sun doesn't shine.
    Exactly my point regarding bump skid lights. If adding forward facing lights for added visibility to other persons driving, make them truly count. Expect everyone else will try and kill you or run you off the road, forward facing lights or not. If no alternative options exist for each situation, it becomes a possible bad situation to consider entering.

Regardless, if you enjoy and believe in your bump skid lights, with the intention they make you worthwhile more visible, all good with me. Be safe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Exactly my point regarding bump skid lights. If adding forward facing lights for added visibility to other persons driving, make them truly count. Expect everyone else will try and kill you or run you off the road, forward facing lights or not. If no alternative options exist for each situation, it becomes a possible bad situation to consider entering.

Regardless, if you enjoy and believe in your bump skid lights, with the intention they make you worthwhile more visible, all good with me. Be safe.
    To each his own!!! You got people out here that think putting loud pipes on there bike makes them safer!!! If it makes you feel good, go for it, but you are not going to wake some of these idiots that can't drop there phones and drive, if there not looking out of the windshield they can't see anything!! Have a safe day!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    To each his own!!! You got people out here that think putting loud pipes on there bike makes them safer!!! If it makes you feel good, go for it, but you are not going to wake some of these idiots that can't drop there phones and drive, if there not looking out of the windshield they can't see anything!! Have a safe day!!
    Exactly my point. They now paint fire trucks super bright day glo yellow / green, and they still get crashed into. If a person thinks bumpskid lights are their savior, by all means worship it.

A loud pipe may help if someone wanted to turn into your lane, but the exhaust note goes out the back. Unlikely the exhaust being loud will supplement the bumpskid leds.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

In case you missed it or I failed to mention it, I installed the bump skid with the intention of protecting the underside front portion of my spyder from damage should I unintentionally drive over an unavoidable obstacle. Lighting was just an added feature that was available so I opted for it, not as a safety device but as cool addition, kind of like a farkel. Something I also overlooked in my original post was that my 750's headlight, at that time, had the pulsating feature which gained me nothing in regard to the incident. So, you are very correct. It's up to us as owners and operators to drive safely and recognize and anticipate upcoming dangers as they present themselves if we can and we have the time. Slow down and maintain distance, to begin with. Kind of like social distancing on the highway. Oh, wait, forget I said that. LOL

Spyder Garage

Default bump skid worth every penny, looks great, visibility...

Got the lighted one from spyderpops. Don't know how well it's going to work because I haven't hit anything with it yet. I'm sure time will tell.
    Hit a piece of angle iron on a curve, it put scratches on it a knocked out a couple of the little lights but it was fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wishey1 View Post
    Hit a piece of angle iron on a curve, it put scratches on it a knocked out a couple of the little lights but it was fine.
    Are the broken lights replaceable or are they part of a light strip? Can the light strip be replaced?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That’s a great question. I’d just be guessing but I don’t think the two little lights could be replaced.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Are the broken lights replaceable or are they part of a light strip? Can the light strip be replaced?
    I think there are two styles of light strips. One is made up of two strips, left and right. The other is all one strip.

https://spyderpops.com/contact-us/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Has anyone tried this product? It is a different design altogether from most of the other bump skids for RTs?

https://customspyderworks.com/products/halo-skid-rt

This is the more common product https://spyderpops.com/can-am-spyder...-2014-2019-rt/
    Not wanting to sound condescending or being smart, but why do you need a bump skid? Granted when I bought my spyder I did it a few times, but have not done it in the last two years, including dirt roads, and "motocross tracks" masquerading as highways. I just notice the spots naturally and avoid them.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Not wanting to sound condescending or being smart, but why do you need a bump skid? Granted when I bought my spyder I did it a few times, but have not done it in the last two years, including dirt roads, and "motocross tracks" masquerading as highways. I just notice the spots naturally and avoid them.
    Some times you can't avoid them, and the skid will take a beating a lot better than the nose of your bike will!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Halo Skid turns on/off with a remote which is multi color, and a white brighter than anyone else on the market

The lighting in the Halo Skid can be replaced at zero cost to the customer. They can easily be replaced, and nothing to be returned to the maker.

Halo Skid turns on/off with a remote which is multi color, and a white brighter than anyone else on the market.

Remote is included.

customspyderworks.com
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-16-2021 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Triplicated posts merged

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CSW1 View Post
    The lighting in the Halo Skid can be replaced at zero cost to the customer. They can easily be replaced, and nothing to be returned to the maker.
    I think this is the feature that initially appealed to me.

My concern, though, is that the skid itself is made of acrylic, which isn't designed to take much abuse. It seems like mounting a windshield underneath the nose of the bike, no?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Spyder Acrylic will CRACK

Hi Pete,
    THe plain black bump/skid plate was one of the first thing farkels I added to my No trouble with it in years of service. And by the look of the gouges in it---- it has saved the underpinnings of the a number if times. I'd spend my $$ on some auxiliary lighting. The LED lights I added turn with the wheels and turn night into day. Got them from another member here at a good discount and wired them to the LED fog lights. Acrylic will CRACK.

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-16-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: color added
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes sir. Just like you, I whacked mine once not long after it was new. I haven't hit anything since but I'm sure it will happen again if I keep on riding. The odds are out there and one day when I don't have my head screwed on straight it's sure to happen again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes sir. Just like you, I whacked mine once not long after it was new. I haven't hit anything since but I'm sure it will happen again if I keep on riding. The odds are out there and one day when I don't have my head screwed on straight it's sure to happen again.
    Recently hit the 60'000 km mark, I do a lot of touring.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Where did all these scratches come from? Damned if I know! Sure as heck wasn't from driving across sagebrush in the Idaho dessert!

Scratches.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Where did all these scratches come from? Damned if I know! Sure as heck wasn't from driving across sagebrush in the Idaho dessert!

Scratches.jpg
    You're bottoming out as you say. I'm just saying that once I got the feel for the height of the RT I no longer bottom out in 60,000kms over 3 yrs. Perhaps its time to see the optometrist - again only suggesting..
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're bottoming out as you say. I'm just saying that once I got the feel for the height of the RT I no longer bottom out in 60,000kms over 3 yrs. Perhaps its time to see the optometrist - again only suggesting..
    I get most of my bottom scrapes on steep driveway entrances. My bumps come from parking bumpers and the like. I've also smacked into unavoidable road debris, including lumber.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scratches.jpg
    WOW, ouch!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps its time to see the optometrist
    I only do that once a year! As far as to quality of the prescriptions I just tell them, "Perfection is acceptable!"

All I'm trying to say is that during ordinary everyday driving it is nigh impossible to avoid scraping the underside of the RT. Vision has very little to do with it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I only do that once a year! As far as to quality of the prescriptions I just tell them, "Perfection is acceptable!"

All I'm trying to say is that during ordinary everyday driving it is nigh impossible to avoid scraping the underside of the RT. Vision has very little to do with it.
    Then is it "attention to the road"? I am trying to understand why others seem to bottom out the front while others don't. I use my Spyder as both my tourer, general transport and work vehicle, the trailer is handy for taking gear to jobs, so it gets a fair few miles too.

I am making the point that after a while, the problem sections of the road surface seem to stand out and I subconsciously avoid them when travelling. I live in a rural area that is a safe seat politically so we don't get the road funding like cities do, and hence the roads in some places are crap. We have larger than normal volume of trucks making their wheel tracks int he road surface, carting coal to the coast.

In some cases I'll ease off the gas for say a causeway/floodway, rail crossing, and use the high points in the road surface to add clearance to the Spyder when travelling. I took a mate as my pillion he weighs about 95 Kgs, he bottomed out a few times, but then took some pointers and that was it. This included dirt roads.

When I first bought the Spyder I did bottom out and originally blamed the RT, but a bit of soul searching made me realize I may not be paying as much attention to the road ahead as I first thought. After a while I just began to notice the imperfections that lay on the road/track ahead and respond accordingly.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Hi Pete,
    THe plain black bump/skid plate was one of the first thing farkels I added to my No trouble with it in years of service. And by the look of the gouges in it---- it has saved the underpinnings of the a number if times. I'd spend my $$ on some auxiliary lighting. The LED lights I added turn with the wheels and turn night into day. Got them from another member here at a good discount and wired them to the LED fog lights. Acrylic will CRACK. Lew L
    I have the TRICLED bumpskid, its black. don't think its acrylic, its UHMW material " ultra high * * " can't think of the name right now, similiar to delrin, less likely to crack
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    I have the TRICLED bumpskid, its black. don't think its acrylic, its UHMW material " ultra high * * " can't think of the name right now, similiar to delrin, less likely to crack
    UHMW = Ultra High Molecular Weight

Spyder Garage

I've got the chin light on my 2020 RTL for visibility, but I'd sure like a Spyderpops style bump skid. Haven't found one yet. Has anyone seen one for the new generation ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI, Spyderpops is experiencing supply chain issues like many other vendors and won't be shipping my bumpskid order until July.
    2014 RTL Platinum