Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT bump skid choices

Has anyone tried this product? It is a different design altogether from most of the other bump skids for RTs?

https://customspyderworks.com/products/halo-skid-rt

This is the more common product https://spyderpops.com/can-am-spyder...-2014-2019-rt/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got the lighted one from spyderpops. Don't know how well it's going to work because I haven't hit anything with it yet. I'm sure time will tell.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Got the lighted one from spyderpops. Don't know how well it's going to work because I haven't hit anything with it yet. I'm sure time will tell.
    How long have you had it and how are the lights holding up? My wife's bike has that one and the lights have been damaged twice by minor bumps.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How long have you had it and how are the lights holding up? My wife's bike has that one and the lights have been damaged twice by minor bumps.
    Just installed last summer. No issues yet. However, I have their mirror-mounted turn signal lights and they don't last long. Three of the small lights in the string on each side have gone out but when the weather gets hot, they all work. Go figure? They've both been replaced twice at no charge but from now on no free replacements. Look at the bright side, at least I don't have to get down on my knees to change the turn signal lights. No pun intended.

Spyder Garage

The current version from Spyderpops has the lights protected much better than before. Don't quote me, but I thought the newest version from Spyderpops has a lifetime warranty on the lights. Worth checking out. I have always gotten great service from the crew there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    The current version from Spyderpops has the lights protected much better than before. Don't quote me, but I thought the newest version from Spyderpops has a lifetime warranty on the lights. Worth checking out. I have always gotten great service from the crew there.
    It sure seems to be. https://spyderpops.com/can-am-spyder...-for-the-2019/
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks UP for the additional information. I DO like those lighted versions.

RE: Spyderpops versions. I had one on my 2014 RTS. Never had any issues with lights burning out. The movers damaged the lights on mine. When I had it serviced at Lamonster Garage, they replaced the broken ones at no charge.

RE: Spyderpops newer versions. I have one on both the 19 and the 20 F3's. 14K on the 19 and no issues so far. The 20 only 3K....but no issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Thanks UP for the additional information. I DO like those lighted versions.

RE: Spyderpops versions. I had one on my 2014 RTS. Never had any issues with lights burning out. The movers damaged the lights on mine. When I had it serviced at Lamonster Garage, they replaced the broken ones at no charge.

RE: Spyderpops newer versions. I have one on both the 19 and the 20 F3's. 14K on the 19 and no issues so far. The 20 only 3K....but no issues.
    I just ordered one to replace my wife's damaged one. I'll take the light strip off hers and put that naked bump skid on mine. Also ordered a belt guard for mine; hers had one already.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

C50A6D6B-2AD0-4ED1-A710-314270E40FC1.jpgI have the one from customspyderworks.com. I have it on the wife 2017 F3 L and on my 2021 S2S. Great product and multi color. Lights are lifetime warranty. Plug and play install.1E4985B1-8CE5-4926-BF71-43249C8D5D92.jpg1E4985B1-8CE5-4926-BF71-43249C8D5D92.jpg
    2017 RT-S , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have the halo skid it never worked from the day a got it. It’s still on the Spyder but it doesn’t light. I have 2 Spyder on the other I have Tricled bumpskid so far it works fine

Spyder Garage

Sorry, not trying to high jack this thread, but do these work only in the day time? how do they turn on and off? thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by myrz View Post
    Sorry, not trying to high jack this thread, but do these work only in the day time? how do they turn on and off? thanks
    They're typically wired into the running lights, but the halo lights may have other options.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

No help on recommending a product. Never installed a bump skid, avoid the loss of ground clearance and added weight. Just be as careful as possible for us. Also not into decorative lighting, so if I were to get a bumpskid, it would be plain Jane Black Starboard most likely and cut myself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    No help on recommending a product. Never installed a bump skid, avoid the loss of ground clearance and added weight. Just be as careful as possible for us. Also not into decorative lighting, so if I were to get a bumpskid, it would be plain Jane Black Starboard most likely and cut myself.
    Many of us believe you can't be too visible to other drivers and lighting helps with that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried this product? It is a different design altogether from most of the other bump skids for RTs?

https://customspyderworks.com/products/halo-skid-rt
    I'm not sure that this is a bumpskid in the true sense. Seems to be more of a decorative/light show piece. It's more expensive than the spyderpops version, and you have to pay shipping.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I'm not sure that this is a bumpskid in the true sense. Seems to be more of a decorative/light show piece. It's more expensive than the spyderpops version, and you have to pay shipping.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. I ordered SpyderPops'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyderpops bump skid weight and reduced clearance are minuscule compared to the benefit it provides. The lighting strips are plug-and-play with the front fender running light harness. Installation is super easy. As mentioned above, anything that makes us more visible to distracted vehicle drivers is a huge benefit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by myrz View Post
    They are on anytime the OEM running lights are on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

About a year. So far no issues.

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops bump skid weight and reduced clearance are minuscule compared to the benefit it provides. The lighting strips are plug-and-play with the front fender running light harness. Installation is super easy. As mentioned above, anything that makes us more visible to distracted vehicle drivers is a huge benefit.
    Being forward facing light, very unlikely there is much benefit with added bumpskid light output, over the 12,800 lumens of white LED headlights and driving lights currently installed on our Spyder. Our LEDs are getting a bit aged now having been installed some 6 years ago. Back then, these were far more powerful, at about double the lumens, than any other brand offered and higher quality. Guess I could upgrade and get just under 19,000 lumens, but what is installed works very well.

As for underside scrapes, it can happen, but so far, since January 2014, the underside has survived.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Being forward facing light, very unlikely there is much benefit with added bumpskid light output, over the 12,800 lumens of white LED headlights and driving lights currently installed on our Spyder. Our LEDs are getting a bit aged now having been installed some 6 years ago. Back then, these were far more powerful, at about double the lumens, than any other brand offered and higher quality. Guess I could upgrade and get just under 19,000 lumens, but what is installed works very well.

As for underside scrapes, it can happen, but so far, since January 2014, the underside has survived.
    Whether or not we have 12,800, 19,000, or a million lumens some idiots just don't get it and likely never will. Years ago while on my 2nd hand 750 (it was all I could afford at the time) I had a lady pull out in front of me from a two-way stop on a county road onto a 65 MPH state highway. She was stopped and I looked at her and she looked at me and I thought we made eye contact. Then I saw her look down at her seat (probably inventorying her purse) and without looking back at me she pulled her Chevy Blazer out in front of me. I shot diagonally across in front of her and ended up in a swamp in 6" of water. The b***h had to have known what she did but she kept going. Good thing for me that I was stuck in a swamp. It probably kept me from going to jail for the rest of my life. So, you never know but you have to always be prepared. You could be flying low in a UFO and some people still would never see you.

Spyder Garage

I would like to install a bumper but the lighted models do not interest me. I note that there are bumpers only available but most are priced at over $150.00, which seems unreasonable to me. Does anyone know of a reasonable front bumper?

Bartender

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I would like to install a bumper but the lighted models do not interest me. I note that there are bumpers only available but most are priced at over $150.00, which seems unreasonable to me. Does anyone know of a reasonable front bumper?

Bartender
    It would not be difficult to build your own, just time-consuming is all. Rember you have a spyder so nothing is reasonable.

Spyder Garage

Whether or not we have 12,800, 19,000, or a million lumens some idiots just don't get it and likely never will. Years ago while on my 2nd hand 750 (it was all I could afford at the time) I had a lady pull out in front of me from a two-way stop on a county road onto a 65 MPH state highway. She was stopped and I looked at her and she looked at me and I thought we made eye contact. Then I saw her look down at her seat (probably inventorying her purse) and without looking back at me she pulled her Chevy Blazer out in front of me. I shot diagonally across in front of her and ended up in a swamp in 6" of water. The b***h had to have known what she did but she kept going. Good thing for me that I was stuck in a swamp. It probably kept me from going to jail for the rest of my life. So, you never know but you have to always be prepared. You could be flying low in a UFO and some people still would never see you.

Bummer your 750 did not have bump skid lights I guess.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bummer your 750 did not have bump skid lights I guess.
    Nothing would have gotten that woman's attention. Her head was somewhere where the sun doesn't shine.