Spyder Garage

Default 3000 mile service

I bought my 2019 RT Limited new almost a year ago. It had 97 miles on it at the time, as it was being used at the dealership in their Can Am course.

I have almost 2100 miles on it now and my question is this. How long can I wait for the 3000 mile checkup?

I know I will be riding a lot this summer and I really don't want to have the bike in the shop for an extended period of time while they do the service.

If I go up to 4000 miles would it do damage?

I could do the oil change myself at 3000, but what would I be missing by not taking the bike to the dealer? Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bushjc View Post
    I bought my 2019 RT Limited new almost a year ago. It had 97 miles on it at the time, as it was being used at the dealership in their Can Am course.

I have almost 2100 miles on it now and my question is this. How long can I wait for the 3000 mile checkup?

I know I will be riding a lot this summer and I really don't want to have the bike in the shop for an extended period of time while they do the service.

If I go up to 4000 miles would it do damage?

I could do the oil change myself at 3000, but what would I be missing by not taking the bike to the dealer? Thanks!
    The 3000 mile checkup:
    Perform Pre-Ride inspection checklist in Owners manual
    Replace engine oil and filter
    check brake fluid level
    Check reverse mechanism operation
    check engine coolant level
    check operation of control switches and pass. switches
    check drive belt condition and tension
    check torque of rear wheel axle nut
    Visually check brake pads and discs condition
    check passenger handholds looseness
    check footrests looseness
    check body panel looseness
    check operation of storage compartment latches, hinges and key barrels

Spyder Garage

1st service is very important, better early than late.

Spyder should be serviced at least once a year regardless of mileage.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agrimm01 View Post
    The 3000 mile checkup:
    Perform Pre-Ride inspection checklist in Owners manual
    Replace engine oil and filter
    check brake fluid level
    Check reverse mechanism operation
    check engine coolant level
    check operation of control switches and pass. switches
    check drive belt condition and tension
    check torque of rear wheel axle nut
    Visually check brake pads and discs condition
    check passenger handholds looseness
    check footrests looseness
    check body panel looseness
    check operation of storage compartment latches, hinges and key barrels
    You'll notice the ONLY thing that NEEDS to be done is the oil & filter ..... Historically speaking the Brake Pads they should last at a minimum 20,000 mi. ... I have a 14 RT the rear got pads at 30,011 ( but they were nearly gone - so now I will check at 28,000 mi. ) the front were done at 43,000 mi. ( and still had at least 5000 mi. left - but I had them out so I changed them ) ..... If the Rotors arn't warped ( you would notice this ) then they are fine ..... I NEVER took my Spyder in for any Services except a couple of Warranty items .... If you do your own service ( and that's legal to keep your warranty in tact ) .... save all the receipts ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I did my 3k service in my garage at 3300 mi. Replaced oil & filter. All the other 'checks' were done when upgrading the dirty side (sway bar, tires, shocks) of the RT and adding farkles. I waste oil by changing more frequently than the book suggests - ~6k between using full synth. That gives me the motivation to look over the RT more often than the schedule.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

After the initial service, regular service is recommended every 9,500 miles OR once a year. Most change their oil a little earlier than that.

You are more than ready for that initial service.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

To answer your question, what you'd be missing is the opportunity to leave a lot of money behind at the dealer, and the opportunity to learn a lot about your bike that you can do yourself with some basic quality hand tools. If you decide to do this yourself, I strongly suggest you invest in some quality replacement magnetic plugs for the two oil drains. A quick search in the forum and you'll find out what I'm saying!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red