Spyder Garage

Default Amsoil + oil at mid level = shudder?

Still waiting for the new front sprocket, meanwhile I've noticed a shudder at take off that I believe I had not before my recent oil change.

It's not really noisy or bumpy (not sure even if I should call it shudder) just seems the throttle is not responsive for a couple of seconds and it's always at take off.

I've removed the old sprocket and it wasn't that bad (yet) so it shouldn't be related to that.

Then I searched the forum and found the shudder is actually common when the engine is cold which was what happened to me a couple of times but on my last ride I've felt this while taking off on a steep hill with the engine warm.

Switched to Amsoil recently (was using BRP's XPS before) with oil level set right between the min and max mark (checked using the correct procedure, after 15mn drive and let the fans fired at least twice).

Before oil was always to the max mark, actually dealer was filling above which forced me always to take some out.

Seen at least one post from a fellow who was experiencing something similar after switching to Amsoil.
    Amsoil should have an higher viscosity which might explained the slippage at cold I've had.
    Now the shudder with the engine warm I don't get it, could it be the oil level and taking off on a steep hill?

Spyder is a 2018 F3-S with SE6 transmission.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Still waiting for the new front sprocket, meanwhile I've noticed a shudder at take off that I believe I had not before my recent oil change.

It's not really noisy or bumpy (not sure even if I should call it shudder) just seems the throttle is not responsive for a couple of seconds and it's always at take off.

I've removed the old sprocket and it wasn't that bad (yet) so it shouldn't be related to that.

Then I searched the forum and found the shudder is actually common when the engine is cold which was what happened to me a couple of times but on my last ride I've felt this while taking off on a steep hill with the engine warm.

Switched to Amsoil recently (was using BRP's XPS before) with oil level set right between the min and max mark (checked using the correct procedure, after 15mn drive and let the fans fired at least twice).

Before oil was always to the max mark, actually dealer was filling above which forced me always to take some out.

Seen at least one post from a fellow who was experiencing something similar after switching to Amsoil.
    Amsoil should have an higher viscosity which might explained the slippage at cold I've had.
    Now the shudder with the engine warm I don't get it, could it be the oil level and taking off on a steep hill?

Spyder is a 2018 F3-S with SE6 transmission.
    Which Amsoil product did you use?
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Which Amsoil product did you use?
    Sorry forgot to mention, Amsoil Metric 10W40.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MakoShark2 View Post
    Sorry forgot to mention, Amsoil Metric 10W40.
    If I’m not mistaken, when I had my 2019F3L in at the dealer, they performed a software flash for the transmission line pressure increase……
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    If I’m not mistaken, when I had my 2019F3L in at the dealer, they performed a software flash for the transmission line pressure increase……
    Interesting I'll check with my dealer if there are any updates for mine.

Also I think I'm gonna fill a bit more to see if it gets better.

Spyder Garage

If you have the oil level reading midway between the Min and Max marks, DO NOT add more oil. If you do you may overfill it and then you'll have to suck some out. Do what you said you were going to do vis-a-vis bikerchris's comment.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S