Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Camera Suggestions

After taking a ride on Moonshiner 28 a couple of weeks ago I am thinking about installing a camera system on my RT-L.

I'm not wanting anything that attaches to my helmet and prefer something to record both front and back but would settle on front only. I also would prefer at least 1080 but again prefer 4K video.

What's everyone running and what do you suggest? Any certain one to stay away from?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Very interested in this same topic...
    2021 S2S , Green

Spyder Garage

We use GoPro Hero 8’s which record in 4K. They have image stabilization which helps make things smooth. Our YouTube channel 605rides https://youtube.com/channel/UCGcHMon1cXoWakyGUpADnJQ has a few videos that were made with a combination of the GoPro’s and drone video.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Here is the best unit for you

Go to AUTO ZONE they have a good selettion
    static mounted front and rear units OR you could ....
    SENA 10C EVO.jpg

This is the very best Camera/ Communications unit on the market today
    I have them on SALE right now Give me a call 209-887-3283 9:00AM to 8:00PM Pacific Time ( I'm in California )
    Thanks
    Dave
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 05-10-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

K80, if you are wanting to do it from a fixed position you might want to look at the INNOVV K3 or K5 series.

K3 is 1080 front and rear and the K5 is 4K front and 1080 rear. They also have the K2 but for a few dollars more the K3 is an updated much better unit.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I have a Garmin VIRB camera center-mounted below the wind screen. I operate it from my Zumo. Among the bennies are, it's waterproof, it has GPS and collects G-Metrics you can overlay on your videos.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    K80, if you are wanting to do it from a fixed position you might want to look at the INNOVV K3 or K5 series.

K3 is 1080 front and rear and the K5 is 4K front and 1080 rear. They also have the K2 but for a few dollars more the K3 is an updated much better unit.
    I have been looking at the K5 and K3. I am hoping for some usage/performance information from a member here. Also looking at the Thinkware M1.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I have a Garmin VIRB camera center-mounted below the wind screen. I operate it from my Zumo. Among the bennies are, it's waterproof, it has GPS and collects G-Metrics you can overlay on your videos.
    Looking at the Garmin website this camera has been discontinued. They only show one that I saw and it's mainly for inside of an auto/truck.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Whatever you buy, be aware that recording the video is the easy part and only the start. If you plan to share the videos you will spend many hours editing them down to the few minutes of every hour that will be truly interesting to others. Video recorders today are the 8mm home movies of the 50s. Mostly hours of boring movies interesting only to families. If you're prepared to spend the time to do it right, go for it. If not, save your money and spare other people from being bored. And don't try to record only the interesting stuff while on the move. You'll miss a lot of it and end up recording a lot of stuff that you'll wish you hadn't. At least that's been my experience.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Whatever you buy, be aware that recording the video is the easy part and only the start. If you plan to share the videos you will spend many hours editing them down to the few minutes of every hour that will be truly interesting to others. Video recorders today are the 8mm home movies of the 50s. Mostly hours of boring movies interesting only to families. If you're prepared to spend the time to do it right, go for it. If not, save your money and spare other people from being bored. And don't try to record only the interesting stuff while on the move. You'll miss a lot of it and end up recording a lot of stuff that you'll wish you hadn't. At least that's been my experience.
    Thanks for the advice, I am considering this point also. I never did do the home movie stuff either.

What really got me to thinking about this is while on my last ride which had lots of twisties I had my friend following me when I noticed a vehicle literally almost pushing him because they were in such a hurry. Mind you the speed limit was 15mph in some places and 20 to 40 in others. This got me to thinking maybe I might need some kind of proof just in case something happened. I have been known to to get in this type of situation.

Spyder Garage

I bought a refurbished VIRB XE 2 years ago and it's going strong. Ebay has many to choose from.
    If all you want is a 'Dashcam', look into a <$100 model that continuously records when moving and over-writes 1st-in footage (loop). They usually have a 'crash' feature that marks when they sense a shock. You can wrap it in saran wrap to waterproof. (That was my 1st cam solution b4 the VIRB.)
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I am considering this point also. I never did do the home movie stuff either.

What really got me to thinking about this is while on my last ride which had lots of twisties I had my friend following me when I noticed a vehicle literally almost pushing him because they were in such a hurry. Mind you the speed limit was 15mph in some places and 20 to 40 in others. This got me to thinking maybe I might need some kind of proof just in case something happened. I have been known to to get in this type of situation.
    I think if it were me, I'd spend some resources learning defensive driving tactics. What good is video footage of your horrible rear end accident?

No typical cager can keep up with a Spyder in the twisties. I've also been known to pull off the road for stupid drivers following too closely.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I use a Motorcycle Dash Cam (Viofo MT1), it has both front and rear facing camera's with simultaneous recording on a loop.
    20210424_103925.jpg20210425_130531.jpg

Spyder Garage

I’m also considering front and rear camera’s and saw this one, https://us.thinkware.com/product-page/m1/
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a GoPro Max on the dash.

2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I have been very happy with the Thinkware M1 - https://us.thinkware.com/m1/
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think if it were me, I'd spend some resources learning defensive driving tactics. What good is video footage of your horrible rear end accident?

No typical cager can keep up with a Spyder in the twisties. I've also been known to pull off the road for stupid drivers following too closely.
    It wasn't me being pushed it was my friend on a 2 wheel bike. He couldn't take the curves as fast as I could. He did drag a peg a couple of times trying.

Thanks anyway.

Spyder Garage

I have been looking at the K5 and K3. I am hoping for some usage/performance information from a member here. Also looking at the Thinkware M1.
    I went ahead and ordered the K5. Will post an update after I get to use it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I went ahead and ordered the K5. Will post an update after I get to use it.
    Looking forward to it. Also post pics of how/where you mounted it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It wasn't me being pushed it was my friend on a 2 wheel bike. He couldn't take the curves as fast as I could. He did drag a peg a couple of times trying.

Thanks anyway.
    Okay. I hope you'll post an update on here when you have had the chance to check it out.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Buying the camera is just the beginning. Lotsa work to edit your videos after.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I used to record and edit my churches services (2 on Sunday plus a Wednesday evening service and a mens Bible study) then get them set up for archiving and FB/YouTube. You won't do this with a Chromebook. If you want it done right, you'll need some power behind the computer, a decent program and lots of time. I spent about 4 hours every week getting a video ready. It's not for the timid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks pretty good to my untrained eye https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k5-dashcam
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Buying the camera is just the beginning. Lotsa work to edit your videos after.
    Not with a GoPro. Download to phone and edit. I can ride and record for an hour on my GoPro Max and while I’m having lunch I can upload to phone then make video for To share. Easy.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Not with a GoPro. Download to phone and edit. I can ride and record for an hour on my GoPro Max and while I’m having lunch I can upload to phone then make video for To share. Easy.
    So are you saying you can scan the hour's worth of video, pick out the 10 one minute clips that will be of general interest to others, assemble them into a single video, and upload that, all while you're eating lunch? I used a GoPro for my videos and edited them on a PC. No way could I put together a ten minute general interest video out of 2 or 3 hours of raw video in less than 2 to 4 hours of editing. Unless you have an unbelievably powerful phone just the file save operation for a 10 minute video can take 20 to 40 minutes. I just can't comprehend how you can do what you say you do during a lunch break.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)