Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Communications Systems - what are you using?

I own a new Shoei Neotec II helmet. I have owned many Shoei and this is the best. However, I had planned on buying a Sena SLR2 for it but the reviews suck. I have previously owned/own some J&M systems but the speakers are very hard and hurt my ears after a short while. What systems are you guys using or other recommendations? I'm willing to pay for a quality system.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Communications

Check out 'Motorcycle Dave'. He is a vendor on this Forum. He is very knowledgeable about your topic. Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Check out 'Motorcycle Dave'. He is a vendor on this Forum. He is very knowledgeable about your topic. Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    Make sure to call him, the last email I sent was never replied to (I guess it got sent to his spam folder or something) but he keeps his phone close by.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You did take the fillers out, right? I use a J&M wired headset and don't feel any contact at all between ears and speakers. Maybe the newer speakers are thinner.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I ride with a group of 7 guys. We all use Sena 50's. Most of us have the 50S, but 2 guys have Neotechs and they went with the 50R because of how it attaches. We have all been very happy with them.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I have the SENA SLR2 and it works just fine. Stays charged when it sits in the garage. I have read that they had battery issues. I have not found that to be the case at all. My wife and I talk just fine, listen to bluetooth from the phone and use wize and google maps. If there is a turn coming up the map over rides the music and voice so you don't miss anything. No complaints so far for my wife and I.

Spyder Garage

Sena 50s here. Also have the older 20s. Both systems are excellent for intercom in groups or 2-up and phone/bike comm.
    The 1st batch of 50s units had bad batteries - only ran for 3-4 hrs. Sena will RMA if you have one like that.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I have a Neotec II also and with the best J&M speakers installed. I agree with the poster above that the speakers should not be touching your ears in that helmet. It is the most comfortable helmet I have ever had and especially in the space available for my ears. I also had a Neotec I and always had to run my fingers between the helmet an my ears to get the top of my ears past the liner or it would carp at my ears until they hurt. The Neotec II no such problems. I suspect that you didn't remove the spacers. I had Sierra Electronics install the speakers in the Neotec II. In the for whatever it's worth department, I own a 2019 RT SE6 Limited and installed a J&M 2003 CB with blue tooth to my phone. That allows me to have GPS, music and phone all in my helmet. I have not tried any of the other communicators because I don't always ride with the same people and the Honda GoldWing and Harley riders, I ride with, all have already paid for CB's. My set up works great for me.

Bartender

Spyder Garage

We have the Cardo Packtalk Bold in our Neotec 2's with the JBL speakers. Works great, sounds great.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Has anyone had any concerns or issues about the Sena units getting wet in a rain... or do you protect them with a rain cover ... or just take your chances?

Just curious. Still gathering brand info and personal experience info and am still on the fence as to which brand to purchase - Sena or Cardo.

Thanks for your input.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

A review to consider: https://youtu.be/cgYxTeb3luw After watching this I went with the Cardo and don’t regret it. He does make a good point in that it might boil down to what other people you may be riding with use, since the two different units don’t play well together.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I use a set of 20s in my snowmobile helmets, and 30k's in our bike helmets! Been caught in the rain with both, so far so good, they do have little seals around where the electrical connection meet the base. Don't think you could go swimming with them but just normal use there fine!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

We have spent an entire day riding in the rain on a trip to Sturgis and absolutely no problems with our Sena units. It was raining so hard we almost canceled our trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Has anyone had any concerns or issues about the Sena units getting wet in a rain... or do you protect them with a rain cover ... or just take your chances?

Just curious. Still gathering brand info and personal experience info and am still on the fence as to which brand to purchase - Sena or Cardo.

Thanks for your input.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I've used several Sena's over the years (SMH5FM/10S/5S/10C Evo), and never had any issues with rain.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

We use a Cardo freecom+ duo, we don't ride in groups that often, but just two-up, and they work fine, phone/radio/gps, intercom, low windnoise, but we took the upgraded JBL speakerset.
    I think either cardo or sena, is a personal taste, as the reviews, are quite the same.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    I own a new Shoei Neotec II helmet. I have owned many Shoei and this is the best. However, I had planned on buying a Sena SLR2 for it but the reviews suck. I have previously owned/own some J&M systems but the speakers are very hard and hurt my ears after a short while. What systems are you guys using or other recommendations? I'm willing to pay for a quality system.
    My wife has a Neotec II (best helmet ever) and uses a Sena 20S (we have been very happy with it and have not seen a reason to upgrade). It mounted well and the mike does not interfere with the chin bar.
    2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I currently have two working sets of Sena SMH10's. One set mounted on Nolan n-40's and one set mounted on the Bell Magnum 9/Sena (built in from the factory). Also recently figured out how to get one of the Nolans paired up with the Bell set so that we can communicate three ways with a passenger. Have a grand daughter coming to visit in a couple weeks.

I have used Sena, Cardo, and n-com over the years. I am most happy with Sena. We use them to communicate only...no phones or music added. The current ones have three to four blocks of "straight" line communications. The noise level is none until you get to the end of the range. They run all day on a charge. And we can leave the circuit open for instant bike to bike communication.

Sena still has my vote.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    They run all day on a charge. And we can leave the circuit open for instant bike to bike communication.

Sena still has my vote.
    +1. I have also had both and Sena wins hands down. I currently run a Sena 50S as a group of us guys do multi day trips together and the mesh works great. The wife has a 10R so her and I can communicate if it is just the two of us.

Spyder Garage

That is one of my favorite helmets and mine has the SRL2 added. You do not feel the speakers. Sound quality is excellent. Battery life is all day. Talking on the phone at 70 MPH and folks don't know your riding. It is the one I grab the most for a ride. The only minor negative I have is I like the controls better on the 20S EVO but doing that would have destroyed the form factor.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Happy with our Sena SRL's in the Neotec II's. Used our stimulus money to buy them this spring, so not a lot of experience using them yet....happy so far though
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have the same helmet. Super nice but heavy, but still love it. On this helmet I use the Sena 50R, works fantastic.

On my original Neotec I first used the cardio which we did not like at all on long trips or anytime.
    I then changed. to the Sena 20 it was very very nice and used that for quite a while and now with my new Neotec II, like yours i use the center 50 R.

Spyder Garage

I have been using Sena's for many years, most recently 50S daily commuting rain or shine and never any issues. Both Cardo and Sena are the top two Communication units they both have their Pro's and Con's. I went with the Sena 50S mainly because it had the better MESH communication, I know the Cardo has better water resistance and wind noise rejection, I believe the Sena has a stronger helmet to helmet connection.

"In my Opinion"

Spyder Garage

I wish I'd read all the reviews on the Sena SLR2 before I bought it. Fitted to my new Shoei J-Cruise II and it died mid-trip after only 33 months use. Sena's customer support was basically "what do you expect us to do about it" Couldn't get any help from tech service which I could no have found myself from the manual. Now stuck with having to buy another comm system as I need one for a long group trip in 10 days time. I have used Sena systems for many tears butwWould NOT recommend the Sena SRL2.
    Last edited by 1064nm; 05-22-2021 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Add data

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a Neotec II myself. I also purchased the SENA specifically made for it. And It works great. Easily pairs to my phone, and my wife's helmet. I just checked the box, it is the SLR. Fit is perfect. Blends into the helmet, less wind noise also. We are happy with it. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL