Spyder Garage

Default 2015 F3S to 2021 RT STS.

So went from a F3S to an RT. What I'm wondering is, this new machine seems to have a little less power than my prior. And one thing I really notice is way less compression when I let go of the throttle. When pulling my trailer it was easier to slow down that way. Haven't pulled with this one yet. Just curious if I'm being picky.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

F3 is geared differently than the RT because of a different size rear pulley
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    F3 is geared differently than the RT because of a different size rear pulley
    What is stated above is correct. You also have to keep in mind that the 2020 and up RT is just a much smoother bike. Not just in ride, but in acceleration, braking, etc. You will give up some in off line acceleration to the older series 1330 powered bike, and in your case, it will seem like a bit more since you had a F3. But it is like going from a sports car to a luxury vehicle. The change will take some getting used to.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Also the RT is few hundred pounds heavier ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

One other thing that I forgot to mention. The bike you were riding was 6 years old. Now, some things are definitely going to be different anyway. But you have to remember you cannot expect an older vehicle of any type to perform like the new one. I have to remind my wife about that all the time. Her daily "drive to work" vehicle is a 2009 Maxima with 185k miles on it. We bought it new and it has been a great car. Only needed regular maintenance from day one. But she says things like, "it doesn't accelerate or brake like her newer one." That is when I remind her that a lot of the components are 12 years old. Heck, I don't even perform like I used to 12 years ago. Lol!

Spyder Garage

You also have to realize that no two machines will perform EXACTLY alike. Performance, efficiency, comfort even between two, say S2S machines wll vary slightly. The company that I retired from built over 250 machines of the same design. Even with identical options, they all had differences in performance. It is hard to convince a customer that paid over a million dollars for a machine that given identical preparation, maintenance, and operation his machine will never gain that 2% difference between his and a competitor's, or that preparation, maintenance and operation are worth around 25% difference.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the 2015 F3 had a different sprocket that was more performance oriented. blacklightning can confirm.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help. I get the no 2 the same thing. I really liked the compression braking from my F3. Saved a lot on brake pads. This is no doubt smoother in most respects. Have to see when I get the hitch and pull the trailer!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I think the 2015 F3 had a different sprocket that was more performance oriented. blacklightning can confirm.
    You are correct. In fact, the larger rear sprocket is one of my biggest reasons for sticking with my 2016 F3T. The off line acceleration is better, but I also like the way I am able to stay in higher gears when pulling long sloping hills, without having to downshift. I find that especially helpful when riding on the Cherohola Skyway and Foothills Parkway in the NC/Tenn mountains.