Spyder Garage

Default I promised I'd never do a post about tyres but...

I've always fitted Toyo Proxes T1R's on the back of my 2011 as I've found them far superior to the Kenda's for the sort of riding I do (bendy, mountainous, etc).

Unfortunately Toyo have stopped making them and their direct replacement are asymmetrical so not suitable. There are the Proxie R1Rs which would be great on the tarmac but would too racy for bits of gravel riding I have to do.

Any RS riders got any suggestions on something sticky for the rear. I stress RS riders there because the tire needs of an RS are different from a RT/F3.

I'm not bothered about wear, just want excellent grip dry, wet, cold.

...also needs to be something that will be available in New Zealand which will probably limit the field a bit.

Spyder Garage

Check out what's available from Michelin over your side of the Tasman.

Here in Oz, we've got some pretty good 'All-Season Hi Performance' offerings from Michelin in a variety of suitable sizes (all a touch taller than the OE spec Kendas tho - good for the speedo's accuracy. ) and there's even some suitable for bitumen and gravel roads, without being too much of an 'All-Terrain' tire. . Coopers also have some 'mixed surface performance tires' that are intended for 'occasional gravel/dirt road use' to suit the smaller high performance SUV's that we're seeing more'n more of lately which worked really well on test under the back of my RT that might suit, so could be worth a look!

Good Luck on your search!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Suggest the Yokohama Advan Fleeva for great traction and wet weather grip. Life is not bad either.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Suggest the Yokohama Advan Fleeva for great traction and wet weather grip. Life is not bad either.
    Those (typically) are not available here. Had a look and most of the performance ones are asymmetric but there is the Advan Neova which looks like it would work.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Those (typically) are not available here. Had a look and most of the performance ones are asymmetric but there is the Advan Neova which looks like it would work.
    What's the issue with asymmetric ??? ..... just mount them correctly and if you using one on the rear don't worry about it ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    What's the issue with asymmetric ??? ..... just mount them correctly and if you using one on the rear don't worry about it ..... Mike
    Beat you to it:-) I've already checked with Waka Kotahi (Land Transport Agency) and an asymmetric would fail the WOF (Warrant Of Fitness) because of clause "10.5. An asymmetric tyre is fitted to a vehicle with the ‘inside’ tyre wall facing outwards". They said in the case of a Spyder's rear wheel one both sides would be deemed outside so an asymmetric is unsuitable

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Beat you to it:-) I've already checked with Waka Kotahi (Land Transport Agency) and an asymmetric would fail the WOF (Warrant Of Fitness) because of clause "10.5. An asymmetric tyre is fitted to a vehicle with the ‘inside’ tyre wall facing outwards". They said in the case of a Spyder's rear wheel one both sides would be deemed outside so an asymmetric is unsuitable
    OK ... I have no idea what the MV laws are in NZ .... what I do know is how tires function... Peter lives near-by - I'd ask Him what He recommends .... Mike