Thread: Whale, hail!

Spyder Garage

Default Whale, hail!

Ok, I went ahead and bought an Ultimate seat for my 19 F3L. It is better than stock, but... This weekend I took the F3 down to the dealer for annual maintenance and picked up the wife's 16 RT. Two up both ways. After about 100 mile round trip, about 50 on each one, my butt likes the stock seat on the RT better than the Ultimate on the F3, but my legs definitely like the F3 position compared to the RT. It seems like the new RTs are designed a little more like a F3, at least in riding position. Any suggestions, or opinions?
    Pat
    Burp(Gone, but not forgotten) - Viper Red 2012 RT-S SE5
    B-2 - Intense Red Pearl 2016 RT-S SE6
    GP - Phoenix Orange 2019 F3 LTD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Comfort seat and highway pegs can improve seating and leg positioning for the RT.

Not sure what to do about the saddle on the F3. Maybe that's more of riding position issue. Quite an interesting conundrum.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Suggest at better saddle on the F3. I never could get comfortable on the Ultimate as it just does not support properly for me and left me sore. Had a Russel Day Long saddle made to fit ME and its the best motorcycle seat I have ever owned. It truly lives up to its name.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

While BRP put forth a valiant effort to make the RT for F3-like in the re-design, they did miss the mark in the ergonomics (in my opinion). I had traded in my F3-S for the 2020 RT - and promptly traded that in 6 weeks later for an F3 Limited. While the RT may look cooler, you are still sitting upright and not in the cruiser position. And if you are the least bit vertically challenged, you will find that you will need to make more than a few modifications to make your riding experience more comfortable (thanks to Lamont). I am glad BRP gives us different products for different rider needs; however, give me the F3 with the easily adjustable U-Fit system any day of the week!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spent many days on the OEM seat and there's no cure while on the road for monkey butt. The only resolve is a couple of days at home. Never heard any complaints about the daylong other than the price. Been to Laam's and Russell's both and liked the available options at Russell's. Both locations are owned and operated by very nice folks. Kind of leaning towards the daylong.

Spyder Garage

My way to get that all day saddle is to ride to my favorite saddle customizer where he literally tailors it to my butt. After making some mods, he places it back on the bike and has me get on a critique it. That's repeated until we have reached that "ahh" spot. Then, I get to choose what coverings I want. Oh....I have him add heat too.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LLSailor View Post
    Ok, I went ahead and bought an Ultimate seat for my 19 F3L. It is better than stock, but... This weekend I took the F3 down to the dealer for annual maintenance and picked up the wife's 16 RT. Two up both ways. After about 100 mile round trip, about 50 on each one, my butt likes the stock seat on the RT better than the Ultimate on the F3, but my legs definitely like the F3 position compared to the RT. It seems like the new RTs are designed a little more like a F3, at least in riding position. Any suggestions, or opinions?
    i went with the Ultimate Tall boy on my 19 F3L.....i don`t squirm any more....expensive,but happier.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    i went with the Ultimate Tall boy on my 19 F3L.....i don`t squirm any more....expensive,but happier.
    I have the same seat on my F3L and it is way way better than stock seat.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    My way to get that all day saddle is to ride to my favorite saddle customizer where he literally tailors it to my butt. After making some mods, he places it back on the bike and has me get on a critique it. That's repeated until we have reached that "ahh" spot. Then, I get to choose what coverings I want. Oh....I have him add heat too.
    So, who is it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Mr. Ed's Moto in Albany, Oregon. About 70 mile south of Portland. I've used them for decades on many bikes.
    https://www.mredsmoto.com/customseats
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome