Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

No problems yet.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Default VSS Fault in < 60mi

Bought mine (2021 900 ACE) a little over a week ago. Less than a mile on the clock, so I know they didn't test ride it.
    Five miles home from the dealership, no issues. 40 mile round trip test run (uphill, downhill, sweeping curves, 55mph highway), no issues.

Try to commute to work the next day, made it a few miles onto the highway and it threw a VSS Fault while doing ~60mph uphill and dropped into limp mode.
    I really did NOT appreciate the sudden drop in RPM resulting in my speed dropping to ~40MPH with traffic behind me. That could have ended quite poorly.
    I was able to get it home via back roads.

Codes thrown: C006C & C0063.
    Wiring harness has no obvious damage, fuses & relays checked out fine. Tried reseating connectors for steering angle and yaw sensors, and disconnected battery for ~20min without any effect.
    The dealership picked it up the next day and I'm waiting to hear back.
    My guess would be a bad sensor, but without the maintenance manual, I didn't have much to go on for deeper diagnostics.
    It's under warranty anyhow...I just have an irresistible urge to tinker.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Bought mine (2021 900 ACE) a little over a week ago. Less than a mile on the clock, so I know they didn't test ride it.
    Five miles home from the dealership, no issues. 40 mile round trip test run (uphill, downhill, sweeping curves, 55mph highway), no issues.

Try to commute to work the next day, made it a few miles onto the highway and it threw a VSS Fault while doing ~60mph uphill and dropped into limp mode.
    I really did NOT appreciate the sudden drop in RPM resulting in my speed dropping to ~40MPH with traffic behind me. That could have ended quite poorly.
    I was able to get it home via back roads.

Codes thrown: C006C & C0063.
    Wiring harness has no obvious damage, fuses & relays checked out fine. Tried reseating connectors for steering angle and yaw sensors, and disconnected battery for ~20min without any effect.
    The dealership picked it up the next day and I'm waiting to hear back.
    My guess would be a bad sensor, but without the maintenance manual, I didn't have much to go on for deeper diagnostics.
    It's under warranty anyhow...I just have an irresistible urge to tinker.
    Please keep us informed on what the problem turns out to be.

Spyder Garage

From my 2019 Service Manual:
    C006C.jpg
    C0.PNG

C0063 is not listed.

Downloadable service manuals are readily available for $20 or less.

Spyder Garage

your dealer should know it ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    Please keep us informed on what the problem turns out to be.
    Got it back from the shop today. As I suspected, it was the yaw sensor.
    They were able to reset it and opened a case with BRP in case it occurs again. Supposed to just keep an eye on it for now.
    Took the 20mi route to get 3 miles home, seems okay so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    From my 2019 Service Manual:
    C006C.jpg
    C0.PNG

C0063 is not listed.

Downloadable service manuals are readily available for $20 or less.
    Yeah, I found a couple places with them available for download. Will probably get a copy soon.
    I'd much prefer the dead tree copy if I can find it though.
    FWIW, while I was researching, I came across an NHTSA report which mentions the code; though in my case the issue was not related to front end component play: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81946-0001.pdf

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

3100 miles-had the clip under the front fender that holds the signal light wires came un-clipped and the wire rubbed a bit on the tire.Fixed the issue myself.Looks like it was probably an assembly issue created by the dealer.

Spyder Garage

I have had my 900 ace since july 1st i now have 2000 miles on it and have not had a problem with it at all

Spyder Garage

4,000 + miles on my wife’s 2020 Rally 900. No problems other than recall to check front wheel nut tightness. Great machine so far.
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Frunk came loose and side panel broke off the clip holding it, but I fixed it myself.

Spyder Garage

2019 Ryker Rally with around 12,000 miles. No real issues other than master brake cylinder gasket needed to be replaced. No charge from dealer. Regular maintenance only and just replaced CVT belt. VERY fun machine. So far no problems!
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

I had a 2019 900 ACE that I just sold (getting a Spyder RT assuming they ever come in...) and never had an issue beyond normal maintenance. Mine did have the fuel pump whine, but I realized it was only with less than a half tank of gas and when temps were above 80. My super easy fix was to make sure it didn't drop below a half tank during the summer (easy to do since most of my riding was around town).

Having been here and on some Facebook groups, it seems a fair number of problems are due to dealers that don't do a good job on final assembly (check the reputation of the dealer--it's worth it to buy from someplace that really understands these machines) and people that overload the battery with too many accessories. Sure it's cool adding speakers, GPS units, light strips, etc.--but the battery isn't really big enough for all that. Too many gizmos will throw (sometimes unrelated) error codes and they'll slowly drain the battery when it's sitting parked. If you add all those things, make sure to disconnect them if you're not going to be riding for a few weeks or you'll come back to a dead battery for sure.

Enjoy your Ryker! They're a blast to ride.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I found out at about 120 miles on my 2022 Ryker Sport that the wiring harness inside the right wheel fender was rubbing. Contact with the wheel or tire wore down the cable wrap and then completely through the insulation of both wires inside of the harness. You could see bare copper. I'm sure the dealer either missed it or didn't run the harness properly in the fender at final assembly. I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. I also asked them to look at the left fender as well. I haven't had a chance to ride it more than around the block when I got it home. I had the dealer deliver it as it was 30 degrees here in Chicagoland at the time. I took a quick look without removing the fenders and the harness and cable looked to be seated properly now.

This makes me a little concerned that the dealer might have missed something else. At least they were very interested in helping me out and they did seem embarrassed. They initially told me that it would take a week to run a new wiring harness but they finished it in 2 days. I wouldn't have been upset about a week of time as the weather was lousy anyway but I appreciated that they wanted to prioritize the fix.
    2022 Spyder F3S pilot

"SpyderWings" on YT

Spyder Garage

I refuse to respond to this thread in fear that I may jinx myself.

Oop....that's a response, isn't it?

Spyder Garage

2021 Ryker Rally. I got it late May of 2021. I have over 6,400 miles on it now. Zero mechanical issues. I did have a Ford-150 crack my right wheel fender at my work's parking lot. $350 dollars was the total damage (his insurance paid for it) and some duct tape on the fender till it was fixed. It still runs great, so much fun.

Spyder Garage

My 2019 Ryker rally had 2500 miles on it when I traded it in and zero issues. Picked up a 2022 Rally and today I got a VSS code at 195 miles. Being towed to the dealership on Monday morning.
    2019 Rally , Black with red panels

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zusafek View Post
    My 2019 Ryker rally had 2500 miles on it when I traded it in and zero issues. Picked up a 2022 Rally and today I got a VSS code at 195 miles. Being towed to the dealership on Monday morning.
    What were you doing to the machine when you got this code?

Spyder Garage

First real problem just reared it's oily head ... leaky valve cover gasket. Last couple short runs had smoke coming off the exhaust.

Bike's due for it's initial tune and check, so I'm having it picked up Tuesday for some warranty time. Reads a quart low and don't want to chance driving it.

PS - can a leaky cover gasket contaminate the belt? No slipping, but long as it's a warranty thang, eh ...
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by UtahPete; 04-17-2022 at 12:48 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    First real problem just reared it's oily head ... leaky valve cover gasket. Last couple short runs had smoke coming off the exhaust.

Bike's due for it's initial tune and check, so I'm having it picked up Tuesday for some warranty time. Reads a quart low and don't want to chance driving it.

PS - can a leaky cover gasket contaminate the belt? No slipping, but long as it's a warranty thang, eh ...

~~~ that would be a fun one to correct. It looks intimidating removing all that needs to be removed in order to lift the bodywork away in order to have the room needed to R & R the errant gasket, but if you had sheltered room to get the body up, we’d likely find getting the old gasket off and the new one on, a piece of cake, if it need that. It might come down to some loose fasteners that only need to be tightened

Your problem reminds me of an oil leak I had on my 95’ 900 SS Ducati CR (cafe racer) 900 Desmond due. This oil leak happened well within the first 12 months of ownership. At the time we (Mrs. Jake & I) were living in the lower Fla. Keys (Big Pine Key mm 30). I purchased this bike from a dealer in the Lake Okeechobee area. Funny story- when I rode up to turn in my trade and pick this bike up to ride back to the Keys, the salesman/manager asked if I’d rather buy the 916 Ducati Quattro he had on the floor, instead of the Desmo due I made the deal on. Yeah, who wouldn’t rather own/ride a 916 desmo quattro vs a 2 valve Ducati but the problem for me, it was twice the price

Back then (1995) the lire took a dump, compared to how strong the U.S. dollar was. The sales mgr told me someone else ordered the 916 but when it came in, he couldn’t belly up. The price for the 916 IIRC was 16 large, the 900 SS CR I was buying was exactly half that. I was just a working stiff back then & $8000 was still a lot of jack, but doable for me, not $16+. To this day I still don’t regret buying the 900 SS. I went roadracing with it at end of 95’ (CCS Fla. region) & had a blast. Sorry, but I digress

Getting back to having to fix the oil leak on my 900 SS, it (the oil leak) was coming from the timing shaft seal near the bottom of the motor. So either I had to repair the leak myself or trailer/ride the bike back up to Lake Okeechobee. The decision was simple, it would take less time for me to repair it myself. Of course that bike didn’t have the gobs of plastic to remove to get at the leak like you have with the Ryker. Still, if you had a sheltered place to take your time to jack up the body, I doubt it would be all that hard to effect a repair

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post

Do you have the 600 or 900 ACE ?How many miles are on it?

Spyder Garage

'21 900 Ace (new stock) picked up last fall. Currently with around 700 miles on it. (see my album in the sig)

Opening the clam shell would be beyond my current capabilities due to around 1.5 million in repairs to me due to a ... you guessed it ... motorcycle accident. I died ... but I got better? Kinda why I got into the Ryker anyway as two wheels are out of the question.

Fortunately, I'm assured it's a warranty thing on the bike, so no worries there.

Oh. I was under warranty too. Let's hear it for Michigan No Fault insurance ... accident didn't cost me a cent.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-18-2022 at 07:14 PM. Reason: here = hear ;-)
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190