Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Who has or has not had problems with their Ryker??

I am just wondering who has or has not had problems with their Ryker.I will be purchasing a new 2021 900 and just wondering what to expect.Please post year,mileage,and what problems if any.

Spyder Garage

350 miles. No problems . Had it for a few months.

Spyder Garage

I bought my Ryker Rally on July, 20 2019. Build date is 10/18. I just turned over 9,000 miles on my last ride. Low miles due to storing it over the Winters and other hobbies. I've been very happy with my Rally. The only very minor problem I've had was that the handlebar was slightly crooked to the steering. I thought I was going to have to take it in to the dealer to have the handlebar stem pulled with a special tool. The tool was not needed and the dealership manager told me over the phone how to fix it myself. A 20/30 minute job. BTW, My Ryker got on a late recall for the cracked wheel nuts. I think BRP just decided to recall all Rykers 'cause mine was not on the original recall. If you are going to drive your Ryker like you stole it, then you can expect problems and more maintenance cost. Remember, the faster you burn the tread off your rear tire is the quicker you will have to replace your CVT belt. (and tire)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pantera View Post
    I am just wondering who has or has not had problems with their Ryker.I will be purchasing a new 2021 900 and just wondering what to expect.Please post year,mileage,and what problems if any.
    Hey Pantera, as nice as it would be if everybody who'd ever had any problems with their Rykers actually saw this & posted the info you requested in this thread, sadly, I really think that's very unlikely to happen!

Many people use Forums like this to seek advice regarding a particular problem or maybe even a few problems, but I strongly suspect that a significant majority of them ONLY use this or any other Forum when they are actually looking for a resolution to an issue/problem.... so there'll be at least some, if not many, who may've once had a problem, but because they don't actually have one right now & so aren't quite so active on the Forum atm, they will simply NEVER SEE this 'roll call' thread and so never provide you with the info you are after; and it's also quite likely that a fair percentage of those who DO SEE your request won't post up anyway, for any number of reasons; altho I'm pretty sure that the relatively few regulars who always try to help will just as likely end up posting their info in here - eventually, if & when they see the thread & have time to answer!!

I reckon you'd be MUCH BETTER served by simply running your finger down the list of threads in this section on the Index page (simply click on the red 'Can Am Ryker' label in the address bar immediately above the Sponsors logo/links & before your thread title - in black) and as you scroll down the list, check out any/all the threads that have titles that look like they're referring to problems or seeking resolution for problems.

Yeah, I know there's 47 pages & almost 1,400 threads in this Can Am Ryker section, and there's another 124 or so threads in the Ryker Shop Talk section too; but I bet there's a fair bit of duplication and besides, doing the research yourself is waaay more likely to give you a 'closer to true' picture of the problems that have been experienced by others than simply relying on the responses from those people who might see this thread and then might be sufficiently motivated to respond.

There again, please be aware that a fairly significant percentage of Forum Members only ever come here BECAUSE they have a problem, so any Forum based idea of how problem prone Rykers (or Spyders ) may be is ALWAYS going to be significantly skewed towards those with problems - cos Forums are especially good at helping resolve those!! I don't know what the current numbers may be right now, but some years back the '100,000 Spyders Sold Mark' was passed, and I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that BRP had already sold over 20,000 Rykers; so given that we only have something like 25,000 (real & validated) Members and less than 9,000 of them have been active in the last few months, despite this Forum featuring highly in any Internet search for Spyder/Ryker info, then I'd suggest that there's a very good chance that THE VAST MAJORITY of Spyder &/or Ryker Owners out there never have any problems they feel are worth looking for solutions to &/or complaining about...

Over to you, and Good Luck with your pre-purchase research!

And as someone who may or may not have been famous might have once said -

"Go On, Buy the Damn Bike! You Know You Want To!"
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

1 month 1300+ miles 0 problems.
    2020 Rally , black

Spyder Garage

My only problem so far is the want for a turbo and get rid of torque management . The 900 ace is capable of soooo much power... Im new to this rig but absolutely love it. Way more fun than my old spyder

Spyder Garage

I think I got the 1st Ryker Rally sold in the Indianapolis area back in early 2019. Now I have 27,000 miles on it. Here is my list:
    1 New final drive unit due to oil leak, Warranty
    2. Replace fuel pump myself due to whining noise and ultimate failure.
    3. Replace the exhaust manifold gasket Under warranty. Manifold vibrated loose.
    4. Replace the oil cooler gasket due to oil leak - under warranty
    5 Replaced Gauge cluster due to faulty buttons under warranty.
    6. Hit a pothole and through my stirring off a bit which I fixed myself.
    7. Replaced cvt belt 2 times with normal maintenance. Did it myself.
    8. New back tired Dunlop Direzza DZ102
    9. Replaced rear Brake calliper as I stripped a bolt as I was too dumb to use a torque wrench.

Plus normal maintenance.

That's basically it

I would buy one again in a flash!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the replies.I have a deposit on a new 2021 900.Just want to do all the research I can before handing over the $12,050 cash.

Spyder Garage

I have had my Ryker 900 Ace for almost a year with about 2200 miles now on it. My handlebars were slightly crooked when I picked it up, but corrected by dealer before I left. No other issues to date.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

I've had my Ryker since June 2020. Ten thousand miles on the clock. Been in the shop twice for routine maintenance and oil change. Zero problems. I think I'm coming due for a tire upgrade but that's about it.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    I think I got the 1st Ryker Rally sold in the Indianapolis area back in early 2019. Now I have 27,000 miles on it. Here is my list:
    1 New final drive unit due to oil leak, Warranty
    2. Replace fuel pump myself due to whining noise and ultimate failure.
    3. Replace the exhaust manifold gasket Under warranty. Manifold vibrated loose.
    4. Replace the oil cooler gasket due to oil leak - under warranty
    5 Replaced Gauge cluster due to faulty buttons under warranty.
    6. Hit a pothole and through my stirring off a bit which I fixed myself.
    7. Replaced cvt belt 2 times with normal maintenance. Did it myself.
    8. New back tired Dunlop Direzza DZ102
    9. Replaced rear Brake calliper as I stripped a bolt as I was too dumb to use a torque wrench.

Plus normal maintenance.

That's basically it

I would buy one again in a flash!
    Well, I joined the leaky final drive club today. Also an early 2019 model. I have an appointment with my dealer for an evaluation on Thursday and I am hoping for a complete replacement as I still have six months on my B.E.S. T warranty. I'm used to this; i used to ride BMW's.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    Well, I joined the leaky final drive club today. Also an early 2019 model. I have an appointment with my dealer for an evaluation on Thursday and I am hoping for a complete replacement as I still have six months on my B.E.S. T warranty. I'm used to this; i used to ride BMW's.
    Have you had any other problems with the machine?

Spyder Garage

There are things I would change (RPM at highway speed, proprietary tire size, etc.) but no other defects or required repairs.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the replies.I have a deposit on a new 2021 900.Just want to do all the research I can before handing over the $12,050 cash.
    Just get it and don't worry. You'll love it!

My 2 issues are square Kenda tires & output seal to the drive shaft, very small leak, fixed on warranty.

I also got new wheel nuts. But there was nothing wrong with the originals. Had them on and off a few times.

A note to Ryker owners. Don't get a 65mm socket for the axle nuts. A 2-1/2" socket fits much better. The 65mm socket is a loose fit. On the other hand, I've got a brand new 65mm socket that I'll let go for CHEAP!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Just get it and don't worry. You'll love it!

My 2 issues are square Kenda tires & output seal to the drive shaft, very small leak, fixed on warranty.

I also got new wheel nuts. But there was nothing wrong with the originals. Had them on and off a few times.

A note to Ryker owners. Don't get a 65mm socket for the axle nuts. A 2-1/2" socket fits much better. The 65mm socket is a loose fit. On the other hand, I've got a brand new 65mm socket that I'll let go for CHEAP!
    I pick my 2021 Ryker 900 up this Thursday night at 6 pm

Spyder Garage

I pick my 2021 Ryker 900 This Thursday night at 6 pm
    Do you have a countdown function on your phone?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Brought my 2021 home last night.Drove it about 77 miles home.Smoke was coming from under the hood upon arrival at home.I did find some oil residue which I cleaned up and the bike seems fine today but does still smell some like burnt oil.We will see how things go.

Spyder Garage

Thats normal on a lot of the machines as there is factory oil in places where it needs to cook off. Didn't happen on mine, but it has on plenty of others.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

BRP actually got the Ryker right. Very few complaints about the Ryker brand as a whole. If they were not good machines we would have more than heard about it. Remember 2013 and the hoopla about the fires?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    BRP actually got the Ryker right. Very few complaints about the Ryker brand as a whole. If they were not good machines we would have more than heard about it. Remember 2013 and the hoopla about the fires?
    ~~~you’re absolutely right traveler. I can’t bitch about my 2020Ryker Rally one bit. That said, if i could complain it would be about not getting enough seat time, I’m just too busy with our farm to get any real riding in. What’s real riding? Cross country, LD work which i think the Ryker is suited for with the right mods

~~~typical day on our farm with the Rally, using it here to schlep 3/4” poly tubing for irrigating the bamboo you see here
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

My wife bought her's in July 2020. In November the fan started to run constantly. Took it in and the dealer replaced thermostat. It had self destructed. Dealer replaced the radiator, thermostat and water pump impeller. All under warranty. Had 3200 miles on it. Otherwise it's been great. Took about 6 weeks though to get Can-Am approval and for the parts to so up to get it back.

Spyder Garage

Mine is a 2019. I have over 8,000 miles on it. Quite a few mods but no inherent problems . I did have the wheel nuts replaced as a recall. The fuel pump whines when it is hot out and I’ve heard some dealers will replace but I have not heard of any failing. I thought I had a brake line leak but turned out just needed to replace the cap on the master cylinder for $20 or so. Otherwise no problems. It’s a great machine and capable of cruising, touring, and as a sport bike. I have no regrets
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

1300 miles on my 2021.No problems as of yet.

Spyder Garage

I made a topic about this, but my new Ryker 2021 came with a non-working water pump gear so it overheated 5 minutes down the road from the dealer when I was driving home. The dealer never test drove it long enough to detect the issue before I dropped by and admitted that their guy damaged it while putting it together so it's not Can Ams fault. They fixed the issue and I have 400 miles on the bike now without any other issues.

Spyder Garage

No real problem in the last 20.500 miles, they fixed a sensor with a better sleeve, could repair a flat front-tire on the road .. still looking for a better rear shock for our 2up-full-loaded adventure tours in Italy ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats