Spyder Garage

Default 21 F3S died while riding - Any Ideas?

Its a 21 f3s, 900 miles on it, 1/2 tank of gas, about 100 miles into a ride, as flat of ground as you can find in Ky, mild acceleration. Wife said it started downshifting, she gave it more throttle and it died. Dash was still working, didn't hit the thumb switch. Motor wouldn't turn over until the brake pedal was pressed. Fired right up and did fine the next hour home. No codes no check engine light.

Spyder Garage

Without any fault codes, I would suspect bad fuel. Was she 1/2 way through a tank of fuel, or did she just add some fuel? If she had just added some fuel, I would suspect some water in the fuel. Motor won't turn over without foot on brake.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
    Its a 21 f3s, 900 miles on it, 1/2 tank of gas, about 100 miles into a ride, as flat of ground as you can find in Ky, mild acceleration. Wife said it started downshifting, she gave it more throttle and it died. Dash was still working, didn't hit the thumb switch. Motor wouldn't turn over until the brake pedal was pressed. Fired right up and did fine the next hour home. No codes no check engine light.
    Not sure why it died , but the motor will never turn over without the brake being depressed.
    2014 RT Limted, platinum, with matching 622 trailer.

Ultimate tall boy seat w/adjustable back rest, Corbin armrests, Spyderpops bumpskid & missing belt guard, BRP side air vents, Lamonster lidlox, cargo nets, Stebel air horn, Wrap my spyder accents......and more

Spyder Garage

About an hour of 50 mph after filling up.

Spyder Garage

The only time the motor will not turn over is if you left the Spyder in a gear. It will start without your foot on the brake if the bike is in neutral.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Kind of unrelated to why the motor quit but..... So I would assume at highway speed a person would need neutral and brake lights on to restart?

Spyder Garage

Saw u answered what i was suggesting
    Keep your wheels down and your head up
    Be safe and ride hard
    2021 F3L , Black (for now)

Spyder Garage

Sure it will. If you get in the habit of leaving the trans in neutral when you shut down as you should. The bike will start with just a press of the button. No pedal necessary. Use this function in the service bay all the time.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

My 2021 RTL did something very similar. It was running 93 octane BP from a gas station that I frequent on all my vehicles. It did give a P0131 code.

I don't know if it's related but this Spyder doesn't start as fast as my 2015 RTS did. It takes a lot more revolutions to fire sometimes. I'm going to get service to look at it at the 3k service.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultimate sway bar

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Crud! Just happened to my '20 RT. Code P0131
    Anyone figure out the cause/fix?
    Last edited by JohnRuckus; 03-24-2023 at 05:24 PM. Reason: additional info. Fault code #
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

A 5 second google revealed

Code P0131
    a fault in the oxygen sensor, located in the bank 1 sensor 1 location of the vehicle. This is also called air/fuel sensor, or heated O2 sensor. This means that the ECU has detected either improper voltage from the oxygen sensor or improper air-fuel ratio.

bit more surfing

P0131 - front O2 sensor.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-running-issue

refers

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    P0131 - front O2 sensor.

Well, you know, I was thinking about that when I read the post. My front O2 sensor failed this spring and it acted much the same way...Same code. Especially the popping and backfiring after about 2 miles. There's a reason for that but it's not that important right now. However, the replacement of the sensor fixed it right up. Before you go forward with the replacement, you could first double check the connector where the sensor harness plugs into the main harness. Unplug it, spray it with contact cleaner and replug, and look for any damage to the harness if you want. Otherwise, replacement is an easy DIY and not that expensive. They come already coated with anti-seize, and if you buy the OEM part, you can be sure that the harness will match up. If you can get the wrench in up there it's easy-peazy. I'm not familiar with how much room you have up there with the RS. Plenty of generic videos on line if you've never done it before.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2023 at 09:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    A 5 second google revealed

Code P0131
    a fault in the oxygen sensor, located in the bank 1 sensor 1 location of the vehicle. This is also called air/fuel sensor, or heated O2 sensor. This means that the ECU has detected either improper voltage from the oxygen sensor or improper air-fuel ratio.

bit more surfing

P0131 - front O2 sensor.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-running-issue
    Welp, I don't use google. I askjeeves and I hadn't found anything being can am specific for the code prior to posting my question in the forum. I did however see multiple links stating that the code is for an oxygen sensor.

Anyway, gracias.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

As a follow-up to my last post, I wish the shop I liked was closer. I took the Spyder to the shop closest to me to determine why the check engine light was on. To my surprise, they say, we only do maintenance work on Saturdays, but said they could look at it when they reopen on Tues. I left it there and called back late Tues afternoon for an update-->The check engine light is off and the code cleared...Ok, well, the check engine light was on when I dropped it off on Sat--> Did you leave it sitting over the winter? Ehhh...we don't experience a real "Winter" in the south. No, I ride it often.--> Ok, we're still waiting on your part?...What part--> The recall for the brake light...Ok, when will it be there?--> I'm not sure...Ok, I'm coming to pick it up.

This is why I asked about the cause and fix? The shop closest to me isn't my favorite and seem to be lacking in a few areas, primarily communication. Yes, the internet has many answers, but that doesn't mean they're applicable to what I found during my search. I'd rather find out from someone on this site that has experienced the issue or has an idea about what it may be than to sort through a bunch of 22 min videos on youtube or read comments from Google that don't specify the actual Spyder vs any other vehicle.

I haven't had any additional issues since dropping the Spyder off at the shop. So, hopefully, it was a 1 off.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

The thread starter was 21 F3S died while riding - Any Ideas?

I thought I would be able to help out and maybe point you in the right direction with the code you asked about.

Upon review I see it was an add on jumping onto the end of a 2021 post.

I searched and it was suggested that pointed to the the code is for an oxygen sensor.

I'm sorry to read you disapprove of such things and only want answers from someone on this site that has experienced the issue.

I dont apologise for trying to help you out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

fuel pump happened to wifes 21 gave same code o2 sensor