Spyder Garage

Default Changing front sprocket - should the shaft spin?

Changing the front sprocket. Got the new white one. Ques, with the sprocket in the front off and bike put in 1st gear shouldn't the shaft spin? Mine does not spin when in any gear. Thinking the shaft broke
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2021 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Title clarification

Spyder Garage

Can't delete so just removed the text. This post was not helpful, is the reason.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-10-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I Know,was hoping it did spin,broken trans shaft

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3ntune View Post
    Changing the front sprocket. Got the new white one. Ques, with the sprocket in the front off and bike put in 1st gear shouldn't the shaft spin? Mine does not spin when in any gear. Thinking the shaft broke
    Did you run the engine high enough RPM to engage the clutch?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Confused here! I thought the clutch was hydraulic and would not be engaged if it is a SE6 transmission without the engine running. I thought you needed the belt on and parking brake set to work on the front pulley nut? At least that is how I did mine for the rear tire change.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

It depends on if you have an SE or SM trans. The SE will not be engaged with the engine off, no matter the gear.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Posted by OP elsewhere - this info does make an important difference!

2017 Spyder F3 Limited; 11,281 miles
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

after getting the belt off the bike, i pulled the front sprocket off to change,while sproket was off I started the bike and put it in 1st gear,I heard it go in gear but the shaft does not lock in,it just spins by hand, I would think that in gear the shaft for sproket should move in the direction of the gear chosen,so thinking the trans shaft is broken

Spyder Garage

if it is a SE6 transmission the clutch doesn't engage until the engine reaches around 1100 RPM
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

after getting the belt off the bike, i pulled the front sprocket off to change,while sproket was off I started the bike and put it in 1st gear,I heard it go in gear but the shaft does not lock in,it just spins by hand, I would think that in gear the shaft for sproket should move in the direction of the gear chosen,so thinking the trans shaft is broken
    Again, did you throttle up the engine fast enough for the clutch to engage? It does not engage at low engine speeds so the trans shaft is free to turn by hand.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

So as ddjim inferred, what you experienced there ^^ is EXACTLY what should happen with a 'still unbroken' shaft; altho on the SE6's it's not strictly 'revs' that make the clutch engage, oil pressure is involved too, due to the SE6's oil pressure activated hydraulic clutch - unlike the SE5's, where it IS strictly 'revs', and a few more'n just 1100 rpm at that! The SE5's Centrifugal Clutches don't lock up fully until the revs get up over 3000 rpm - usually about 3300 rpm!

Still'n all 3ntune, what you're describing does sound like it was JUST the sprocket spinning on the shaft - the gears will be engaged & the gearbox contents will actually spin, but until the clutch engages as the revs and oil pressure go up, the output shaft that carries the front sprocket will be dis-engaged and free-wheel! So unless you were revving the rings out of it, that 'shaft not spinning' thing you mention above is what you should expect, and NOT an indication that the shaft is broken. But is there anything else going on that makes you think that it might be??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-09-2021 at 06:49 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

will after reading the above post it gives me hope. I know some about bikes, but this spyder ia a whole diff bread. Thank all who posted, will put the bike back tomorrow and pray it works, will post the results . Man what a trip so far

Spyder Garage

Did you try accomplishing this with the engine running, or spinning the shaft by hand and selecting gears via the shift shaft?

By hand, you can compare neutral to any other gear. Seems unlikely you broke a gearbox shaft, but anything is possible.

Spyder Garage

while running

Spyder Garage

well got it all put back togeather and will not go into gear,when you push into 1st gear you can hear go into gear but bike does not move, added oil, new front sproket but a no go,bummer