Spyder Garage

Default Titan Trailer - how do I load so the Spyder front end won't catch?

I have a 10' ft Titan aluminum Trailer for my can am spyder that has a drive on ramp. But I hear that if you drive up the ramp the front end of the Spyder will catch. Is this true? if so how to a load my 2013 Spyder?

Thanks for any help
    2013 RT Limited
    2013 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

There are two catch points to be considered about. The nose as you start up the ramp and the belly at the breakover point at the top of the ramp.

You got a lot more response on your FB page post. That trailer should not have an issue.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

No problem loading on Titon, it’s a 6 foot ramp I assume. If it’s to steep get 3- 2x8 12inch blocks. Screw the blocks together. Make 2 of them. With the trailer attached to the truck pull forward so the rear tires of the truck are on blocks. With the rear of the truck up now the rear of the trailer is closer to ground creating a lower pitched ramp. Once loaded drive off blocks, pick up blocks and drive away. Easy piezzy!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    No problem loading on Titon, it’s a 6 foot ramp I assume. If it’s to steep get 3- 2x8 12inch blocks. Screw the blocks together. Make 2 of them. With the trailer attached to the truck pull forward so the rear tires of the truck are on blocks. With the rear of the truck up now the rear of the trailer is closer to ground creating a lower pitched ramp. Once loaded drive off blocks, pick up blocks and drive away. Easy piezzy!
    This is my trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-08-2021 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Fixed img/attach display commands
    2013 RT Limited
    2013 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No trailer, but a nice pile of Rocks and a Chain Link Fence
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    No trailer, but a nice pile of Rocks and a Chain Link Fence

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I find if you back a Spyder RT onto the trailer the nose will not catch.

Spyder Garage

Get two 2X10s five feet long. Put a long fastener through one end so it protrudes down an inch or two. Place the boards about half way up on your ramp with the fasteners protruding down between your ramp slots. The fasteners will prevent the boards from sliding out as you drive your Spyder up the boards. I think you will find there is no need to have a third "cheater ramp" for your rear wheel. I didn't. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kjweed View Post
    This is my trailer

71688E07-4994-4A95-BD15-7D2FD3248524.jpg
    Trailer has what appears to be 6' ramp and dropped axle. Should load easy with correct height ball on the tow vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Loading at home could be different than unloading elsewhere, always go slow

Spyder Garage

I have an Aluma ten foot trailer and I had to do two things to fix that issue. First was to get an adjustable mount so I could raise the ball up some which put the back of the trailer down a bit lower and create a shallower angle. The second was to carry a couple of 2x10 cutoffs and put them down underneath the edge of the ramp to raise it up a bit. Between these two measures, I don't have any issues with the front scraping anymore.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

a real easy solution is to change out the hitch on the truck with one a bit higher and the real end of the trailer will lower!! they make a gazillion hitches to fit into your receiver.. it doesn't take much increase in heigth to lower the trailer back end.. and your trailer will still appear to be level going down the road..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Just consider all of the things you can do to reduce the ramp angle...ex: park the trailer wheels in a low spot, jack the front of the trailer up with the tongue jack, lay a 2x4 under the leading edge of the ramp, flip your drawbar to raise the ball if possible, park the vehicle wheels on a high spot, lengthen the ramp, if you live in town and there's an incline from driveway to street, park the trailer wheels in the lowest spot....you get the picture...It really doesn't take a lot to avoid the scrape...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

There's a will, there's a way!! Use your head think out side the box!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I do the same as cananjhb I use 2 - 4’ 2x10’s when I load my RT or my wife’s ST onto my Triton AUT 1472 no issues. My Triton has a bi-fold gate so it’s around 4’ long it’s not as long as your gate so you should be good. Just take it slow

Hers 2014 ST
    His 2016 RT Limited
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the suggestions
    2013 RT Limited
    2013 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Get two 2X10s five feet long. Put a long fastener through one end so it protrudes down an inch or two. Place the boards about half way up on your ramp with the fasteners protruding down between your ramp slots. The fasteners will prevent the boards from sliding out as you drive your Spyder up the boards. I think you will find there is no need to have a third "cheater ramp" for your rear wheel. I didn't. Good luck..... Jim
    I've done something similar to this too
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    a real easy solution is to change out the hitch on the truck with one a bit higher and the real end of the trailer will lower!! they make a gazillion hitches to fit into your receiver.. it doesn't take much increase in heigth to lower the trailer back end.. and your trailer will still appear to be level going down the road..
    BIG F
    Great advice!

When I bought my Spyder, I found this to be the easiest method of all......and I just happen to have different drop down ball mounts for various uses over the years. Even using 2 x 4's under the rear trailer edge helps to raise the rear trailer height just enough to keep the front of the Spyder from bottoming out when loading and unloading. Just have to get creative. It can be mind boggling for sure.
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have an issue with my RT dragging when I load it on my trailer. The simplest solution for me is I put a block under the trailer jack and jack the tongue up with it still hitched to my truck, it changes the angle of the trailer ramp and nothing drags.
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest