Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My Spyder F3 broke down on the road today

2015 Spyder F3 SE6 with 18,700 miles. Was doing 45-50 MPH in 6th gear. Seemed to slip out of gear, pulled over, tried reverse it tried to go, check engine light came on. Sounded like gears grinding. Engine starts. "E" on display. Won't shift gears. Had tow truck take it to dealer. Dealer "backed up" and won't get to it for about a week. Will keep you posted.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Well that really sucks. Best of luck. Hopefully it does not set you back too much.

Spyder Garage

If the front belt pulley has been ignored, you mileage is at that point where many have had the splines in the pulley fail. If I'm right, make certain a white pulley is installed. That's the newly revised one. Do not allow them to install one that is not white.
    Changing the pulley is not brain surgery. If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do it - or maybe a friend would do it for you? I know I'd do it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-07-2021 at 05:31 PM. Reason: 'not' white! ;-)
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    If the front belt pulley has been ignored, you mileage is at that point where many have had the splines in the pulley fail. If I'm right, make certain a white pulley is installed. That's the newly revised one. Do not allow them to install one that is not white.
    Changing the pulley is not brain surgery. If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do it - or maybe a friend would do it for you? I know I'd do it.
    Well I kinda hope you are right. That doesn't sound too costly. Hopefully it's not the entire transmission. Thanks!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-07-2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

It's not likely to be 'the entire transmission' from what you describe - and given the problems others have had & reported here, I'd guess that it's more likely to be that front pulley RICZ mentioned; possibly a stripped/dislodged Selector Sector Arm; or maybe just a dodgy Gear Position Sensor.... all of which many with little 'motorcycle mechanical aptitude &/or experience' have been successfully able to 'repair' themselves once their particular problem was identified. Again as RICZ suggested, if you know which end of a screwdriver is the handle, if you're physically able to get close enough to do things, you should be able to sort any of those yourself fairly readily!

Have you checked it out from underneath or taken any of the tupperware off to have a look??

Ps: that 'Check Engine Light' might have a few important & specific reasons for coming on, but it doesn't sound like any of those, so it's probably on because of its 'other' function.... which is illuminating when/if the computers detect that the vehicle isn't working or moving as it should but there's no data from any of the sensors to tell them why!? In other words, if something feels wrong & the computers don't know WTF it might be, they'll turn on the 'Check Engine Light'!! Apart from it's specific functions, it's just a 'catch all fob off'....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    It's not likely to be 'the entire transmission' from what you describe - and given the problems others have had & reported here, I'd guess that it's more likely to be that front pulley RICZ mentioned; possibly a stripped/dislodged Selector Sector Arm; or maybe just a dodgy Gear Position Sensor.... all of which many with little 'motorcycle mechanical aptitude &/or experience' have been successfully able to 'repair' themselves once their particular problem was identified. Again as RICZ suggested, if you know which end of a screwdriver is the handle, if you're physically able to get close enough to do things, you should be able to sort any of those yourself fairly readily!

Have you checked it out from underneath or taken any of the tupperware off to have a look??

Ps: that 'Check Engine Light' might have a few important & specific reasons for coming on, but it doesn't sound like any of those, so it's probably on because of its 'other' function.... which is illuminating when/if the computers detect that the vehicle isn't working or moving as it should but there's no data from any of the sensors to tell them why!? In other words, if something feels wrong & the computers don't know WTF it might be, they'll turn on the 'Check Engine Light'!! Apart from it's specific functions, it's just a 'catch all fob off'....
    Well, being the dummy that I am, I didn't even think of the front pulley or to take a look myself. I immediately thought "internal engine/transmission problem." I do my own oil changes, but didn't know to look at the pulley today. So off to the dealer it went. Thanks for responding though. It kinda eases my mind that this might not break the bank after all. I will post on here what the dealer did and how much it cost me. Thanks Peter!
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    Well, being the dummy that I am, I didn't even think of the front pulley or to take a look myself. I immediately thought "internal engine/transmission problem." I do my own oil changes, but didn't know to look at the pulley today. So off to the dealer it went. Thanks for responding though. It kinda eases my mind that this might not break the bank after all. I will post on here what the dealer did and how much it cost me. Thanks Peter!
    BRP refused my pulley under warranty. Called it wear and tear item. I'd budget about $250.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    BRP refused my pulley under warranty. Called it wear and tear item. I'd budget about $250.
    Another customer that didn't get what he paid for.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    $250?!? That must be if a shop does it. DIY might be about $115 for the pulley and bolt.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Rather interesting. My experience has always been that if you’re broken down on the road, i.e. vacation, you went to the front of the line. I always tell the dealer that if somebody comes in off the road to bump me and fix them. Times have changed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    Rather interesting. My experience has always been that if you’re broken down on the road, i.e. vacation, you went to the front of the line. I always tell the dealer that if somebody comes in off the road to bump me and fix them. Times have changed.
    Yeah. When I told the dealer, owner and service manager, I broke down on the road, that didn't seem to matter. I wasn't on vacation and I was only a few miles from home. Maybe if I was from out of town, they may have given me preference. Owner of dealership asked me if I had an extended warranty. I don't. And here's another thing. I didn't have roadside service with my Progressive Insurance or AAA. I do now. Roadside with Progressive was much cheaper than AAA. Only adds $20 to the policy. The tow cost me $150. I'm putting this out there for anyone else that doesn't think they need roadside service, get it!
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Yeah. When I told the dealer, owner and service manager, I broke down on the road, that didn't seem to matter. I wasn't on vacation and I was only a few miles from home. Maybe if I was from out of town, they may have given me preference. Owner asked me if I had an extended warranty. I don't. And here's another thing. I didn't have roadside service with my Progressive Insurance or AAA. I do now. Roadside with Progressive was much cheaper than AAA. Only adds $20 to the policy. The tow cost me $150. I'm putting this out there for anyone else that doesn't think they need roadside service, get it!
    In my opinion, the towing added to your insurance is a must. Money well spent.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And here's another thing. I didn't have roadside service with my Progressive Insurance or AAA. I do now. Roadside with Progressive was much cheaper than AAA. Only adds $20 to the policy. The tow cost me $150. I'm putting this out there for anyone else that doesn't think they need roadside service, get it!
    I do have AAA, but I have heard that it doesn't work with motorcycles (or trikes). That is something that I need to check into with my policy. Thanks for the reminder. Have anyone here, with AAA been denied compensation because you ride a bike or trike?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I do have AAA, but I have heard that it doesn't work with motorcycles (or trikes). That is something that I need to check into with my policy. Thanks for the reminder. Have anyone here, with AAA been denied compensation because you ride a bike or trike?
    I have AAA and added motorcycle coverage.

Spyder Garage

AAA works also AMA works also "Good Neighbor Sam" will tow to the nearest servicing dealer regardless of distance

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Good to have towing on your insurance. It will pay for itself for years even if you only use it once.

Another insurance hint told to me by my lawyer. Buy as much underinsured/uninsured coverage you can buy. It's only about $40 a year for $250K! I had to sue my own insurance company to get the payout of 27K on my head-on with my gold Wing. Lawyer says "They would have just written a check for you if you had better coverage on that part." The very next day I called them and added a quarter million. Depends on your state though.

2013-08-26_16-08-49_715.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    AAA works if you add it; it comes with the RV coverage.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

AAA does offer motorcycle towing but only if you have the Premier/RV coverage.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

AAA Plus Rv

Spyder Garage

Roadside assistance from a Canadian perspective, it's a must have; however, BCAA standard coverage includes motorcycle towing in British Columbia. 2018, riding to Los Angeles on my '85 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition with an external alt mod. Redding California, alternator failed. Towed to local dealer but had to pay for towing. Contacted the US equivalent, my BCAA standard coverage did not include towing in CA. Called BCAA and upgraded to the Premium package. BCAA reimbursed me for the tow costs.

If you are travelling out of your usual riding area, or internationally, recommend contacting your roadside assistance provider for information on where you are going. Good to have contact phone numbers for where you are going, and knowing your roadside assistance package is valid.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

I get roadside for ALL my vehicles through AMA. And as Life Member with auto renew, it is free. Have used it a number of times, most recently when I locked myself out of my truck at a motel in Lubbock at 4:00 am! The only caveat is that you can only use it once in a 30 day period.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!

Spyder Garage

Any updates deer30084 ?

Spyder Garage

I was towed 200 miles back to Memphis on my AAA membership and I didn’t have to pay a dime.

Spyder Garage

And here's another thing. I didn't have roadside service with my Progressive Insurance or AAA. I do now. Roadside with Progressive was much cheaper than AAA. Only adds $20 to the policy. The tow cost me $150.
    I've had AAA Premier since 1986 and thought I was covered. Imagine my surprise to learn it covered everything except RV's, motorcycles and the Space Shuttle. Among other things it provides me with a free 200 mile tow should I need it. Anything in excess of that is on my dime.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

56 days later (today, July 2, 2021) I got my F3 back from the dealer. I had called over the past several weeks and was told they were waiting for the part. I was told early on that they had to drain the oil and get into the transmission because the transmission filter was never changed. I told them not to do that because I found out FROM THIS FORUM that the front pulley was known to go bad. Dealer called me back a couple hours later and said I was right. Since the bike was in the shop, I asked the dealer to change the anti-refreeze too. So here's the dollar amount: $109.99 for the "POULIE 28 DENTS*SPROCKET 28TH," $9.99 x 3 for Coolant extended life premixed QT, 3 hours labor for all at $90.00/hr. Tax $24.00. Total: $343.96. Thank you to RICZ, others and this forum for making the front pulley information available!
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit