Spyder Garage

Question Intake ?? Max throttle plate %??

So-- 2 questions:

1. Does the 1330 throttle plate open 100%?? I believe it doesn't in stock form. But does open 100% with an ECU flash. Is this true???

2. The engine air intake is on the left side in the very front ( as you sit on the ) It is well baffled leading to a long and misshapen plastic runner. The baffle forces intake air to make a sharp 180* bent to enter the intake system. Do you think that opening up/cutting the face of the baffle is worth a HP ???

One horsepower here--- one hp there and soon there is a real improvement. My intake improvements have certainly worked on other bikes. Your thoughts please----------

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Way back soon after I bought I my 14 RT .... I did some front shock Angle work .... because my shocks were now more upright it interfered with the long plastic Air intake on the Left side ..... so I completely removed it and replaced it with a 3in. piece of metal tube ,. which goes directly into the OEM air box ..... Yes my Spyder now breathes much better but NO noticible power increase ---- WHY ??? - because the Computer adjusted to the increase ..... I have stated many, many times the Spyder computer will do all it can to revert back to it's STOCK parameters .... The ONLY way to change this is a re-map of the ECU ( ie. Monster or Jase in Aust.) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

https://bc5ea35f-0a76-4e03-8a52-544a...cf24549946.pdf

"Always better to not have to twist the throttle as much vs not having anymore throttle to twist at all"

Me 2021
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Way back soon after I bought I my 14 RT .... I did some front shock Angle work .... because my shocks were now more upright it interfered with the long plastic Air intake on the Left side ..... so I completely removed it and replaced it with a 3in. piece of metal tube ,. which goes directly into the OEM air box ..... Yes my Spyder now breathes much better but NO noticible power increase ---- WHY ??? - because the Computer adjusted to the increase ..... I have stated many, many times the Spyder computer will do all it can to revert back to it's STOCK parameters .... The ONLY way to change this is a re-map of the ECU ( ie. Monster or Jase in Aust.) ..... Mike
    I have the stage 1 ECU flash Mike. It's worth every cent paid for it.

Would still like to know about the throttle body opening percentages ---- stock vs. Stage 1

Lew L

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Correct, the original engine programming limits throttle plate opening to less than 100%. Those remapping these computers get big gains simply by opening the throttle, but also adjusting the engine tuning parameters.

As for the air intake design, unless running at high rpms the oem setup is adequate. By design, oem is a cold air intake, that sees positive pressure while moving forward.

Overall, even though bends exist, the cross sectional area along the intake pipe length is always greater by a more than reasonable amount, than the cross sectional area of the throttle opening.

Years ago, prior to companies offering remapping, I considered various alternative air inlet setups. If you want to make improvements, retain the oem still airbox at the throttle body. Off that, locate a larger cylindrical and conical filter assembly. Fabricate a housing for this new larger airfilter. From the filters airbox, use flexible ducting and capture intake air from the same location as oem, just forward of the left radiator.

You may not see an increase in peak power, however any throttle setting below the oem programmed 100% should show a benefit in torque.

Spyder Garage

Thanks PMK,
    Pretty much what I was looking for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if your looking for more go to stage 2