Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT OEM Shocks - how long do these things last?

I have 66,000 miles on my 2015 RT-S. The front shocks are the ones that came with the Spyder. How long do these things last. There is an old say "you grow older with your bike" in other words you tend to make adjustments to your riding to compensate for things that should be replaced.

Looking for those that have replaced the front shocks because of wear. Not necessarily looking for the performance differences between OEM and Aftermarket.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    I have 66,000 miles on my 2015 RT-S. The front shocks are the ones that came with the Spyder. How long do these things last. There is an old say "you grow older with your bike" in other words you tend to make adjustments to your riding to compensate for things that should be replaced.

Looking for those that have replaced the front shocks because of wear. Not necessarily looking for the performance differences between OEM and Aftermarket.

Willie
    I have a 14 RT with 57,000 mi. my shocks are fine ( they are at a more up-right angle, but I doubt that makes any Wear difference ) ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I’m at 71.6K and my shocks are fine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a 14 RT with 57,000 mi. my shocks are fine ( they are at a more up-right angle, but I doubt that makes any Wear difference ) ..... Mike
    I dunno Mike, I reckon that 'more upright' stance your top mount mod brings will have improved your shock's life expectancy significantly!! Certainly looks/feels like it to me - the 'more direct' action means the front shocks spend less time managing the ongoing oscillations caused by the less effective high angles in the OE set-up, and that's gotta be wear reducing in the long run, doesn't it?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I would judge it from, what kind of body roll are you getting when you go into a corner? And when you hit a bump in the road is it pounding threw it, with maybe a little bounce? When you park it next to another bike same model same amount of weight closely in the front, how's the stance of the bike across the a frames? Like said above, if you have driven that bike from new, you will grow old with it, and until you change the set up you will often times not know when it's going!! I have never like the body roll that my bike had from day one when I rode it from the start, this year I changed them with a set of Elka2!! What a change, whole different bike in the bumps, corners, and over all feel!!!! I guess if it's not broke, why fix it, if it's giving you the ride it did from the first time you got on it, your good to go!! Your bike, your ride!!!! Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Honestly, the OEM shocks are rather bargain bin models. I would suspect they are significantly degraded by the 50k mile mark or less. It doesn't mean they don't work good enough. A Spyder isn't a moto GP bike, so it doesn't demand top shelf stuff so it's unlikely you'd notice the degradation in performance, short of being blown and leaking. The only way to tell for certain would be to remove them from the bike and separate the springs and then manually check the compression and rebound dampening of each shock.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    A Spyder isn't a moto GP bike
    There are hearts breaking all over the world tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWV7TC6E5ww

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Shocks lose their abilities slowly over time. It is a slow, subtle degradation. Most do not notice the reduction in handling until it is pretty significant. BRP, to their credit, has improved their stock shocks over the years. How long they last depends on a number of factors. But they should be good for at least 50k under normal driving conditions. This doesn't mean that you won't get improved ride and handling from upgrading your stock shocks. Even if they are brand new. But your stock shocks will do all they can for quite a few miles.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...